Ar parts equal?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by EagleDreamer, Sep 29, 2013.

1. EagleDreamer

EagleDreamer New Member

I am new to the AR world so bear with me. I watched a YouTube video and have read a few other places that all stripped lowers, stripped uppers, and LPKs are equally reliable. (Of course assuming they are all made from the same material, not a forged lower vs. a polymer.) One writer said there are only a few manufacturers of lower relievers and others just add their roll mark. Same with uppers and parts kits. This seems far fetched to me, but I figured I would see what you guys think.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

read some of the stickys at the beginning of the AR Section. will give you lots of insight into the world of the AR.

3. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I've seen lots of reports of broken bolt catches and hammer pins, so I gotta say all lpks are not equal.

Forged 7075, billet 7075, 6061, titanium lower receivers don't really matter.....polymer on the otherhand id be wary of.

Upper recievers on the otherhand should always be as strong as possible.

4. EagleDreamer

EagleDreamer New Member

I've read a lot especially the last couple weeks and it seems people don't want to list the manufacturers good or bad. I have been more of a pistol guy but am wanting to expand.
    A lot of the companies who make these parts are mostly ar-15 type only manufacturers, so for someone like me I have never heard of the majority of these companies. I bought a DPMS lower earlier this year in the "scare times". I am now looking to build on it but am afraid of buying junk. Looking at lower parts kits I've seen CMMG, PSA, and a few others who have just parts kits, but like I said I haven't heard of any of these companies as I am new to this platform.

5. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Psa has publically stated that they buy their lpk components from the same suppliers as FN. FN supplies the our military with M4s. They are resonably priced. I've yt to hear a bad thing about CMMG or Stag but heard a lot of bad things about DPMS. Id steer clear of DPMS, but since they are usally the same or higher priced than PSA its a no brainer.

Heard nothing but good about Daniel Defense, White Oak and JP products but have not personally used them. Hope this helps ya.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  6. EagleDreamer

EagleDreamer New Member

Yes it does help thanks, btw I just realized your the writer of a couple of the stickies, those were very informative as well.
    Is my DPMS stripped lower ok? Or should I swap for another before I begin a build?

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

My worst AR experience has been with an Olympic Arms. The lower receiver made fitting any other upper, extremely tight because of holes being drilled slightly out of place for the pivot and takedown pins. Olympic also seems to like to use their machinery for milling out the mag well until it is worn out as mags would be a tight fit, and not drop free. My bolt broke shortly after 500 rounds. Their front sight base was cast instead of forged. I replaced every part if the gun but the barrel, because they doable accurate barrels.

DPMS has different levels of guns. Their lower parts kits do seem a but crude, and I've had parts that had problems, specifically a bolt catch that didn't have the roll pin hole properly machined. Friends have built several guns on their receivers though with no problems, and their .308 guns get decent reviews. I have a National match upper and barrel of theirs that I've upgraded some parts on (sights, and BCG). It is super accurate and has given me no problems.
    Its of my builds now use Bravo, Spikes, LMT, and some RRA parts.

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Your DPMS stripped lower should be all right for a build. I don't like their LPKs or Del-Tons. (Very rough but otherwise serviceable). I've had good luck with three Daniel Defense and three Stag LPKs. Also with one PSA and one ArmaLite LPK. The PSA by far had the best trigger but I know that was luck of the draw.

My main issue with a DPMS rollmark is that no matter how good the rest of the parts are, your build will be seen first as a DPMS. It's not fair but many of us would immediately suspect a cheap build. All that matters is what you want but if you're going with a quality build with say a BCM upper it still says DPMS below. Whether that matters depends on your range buddies I guess.

9. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

So long as the receiver is cut to spec, your DPMS lower should be good to go.

10. EagleDreamer

EagleDreamer New Member

I sure hope it's mil spec, only one way to find out.

Thank you all for the replies, the info is very helpful!

11. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

DPMS is starting to really get on Bandwagon with better parts and better Mil-Spec in their builds. Yes, I have heard of some mishaps, but all AR Manufacturers have some problems once in a while---especially when Millions of Parts are being made.

All DPMS (AR15) Upper/Lower Receivers are Forged 7075-T6, Anodized Hardcoat III(something like this), Mil-Spec.
    Del

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Got any more info on that? Are you talking across the whole line or just new models like DTI?

13. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

I stand corrected---thanks Quentin. I located a couple made with 7029-T6 (Sportical and Lo-Pro) of the Versatility Class.

All others in the AR15 class I looked up, that would be worth having, were of the 7075-T6 Alloys like Oracle, Carbine16, Lite16, TAC2 and many/many others. They have a heck of a lineup to go through since the 90's.

If I remember correctly the Del-Ton DTI is also 7075-T6, but keeping up with so many Manufacturers out there would drive a person nuts. I have seen some DTI's Lowers on the Shelf at a local LGS for around $185(assembled), but I didn't handle it or look up it's composition.

My Oracle has Mil-A-8625F TypeIII Class 2 Hardcoat Anodized, with 7075-T6 Upper/Lower. It's a 2012 Model.

From DPMS's Mouth, they did say many years ago that they made Receivers from Cast, Stainless, 7071.

One Lower I would love to get my hands on, from some unsuspecting Seller, is the MagPul "China Doll". Just to say I got one.
    Del
    Failed to mention. DPMS directly. The Fire-Control Group(LPK) is toleranced and treated as Mil-Spec.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well I know DTI added some new models a few years back that were closer to milspec than their average offering, so wondered if DPMS has toyed with the idea. It would make sense and be easy to do. If we as individuals can piece together a milspec semiauto AR of course DPMS can too.

15. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

For the most part, any decent forged alloy lower is going to be as good as the next. And that part isn't under a great deal of stress anyway. So that much is pretty accurate. Roll marks are for pride, looks, 'cool' points, and potentially resale value. And there can be legitimate value in those attributes, BTW.

Most LPKs are fine. DPMS is probably fine and might have been made in the same factory as uber-tacticool 'Brand X' that costs $100 more for all I know. What I do know...is that PSA's products have answered the call for me time and again and are tough to beat as far as price. So I always build with PSA LPKs/LBKs. DPMS might be just as good, but it doesn't much matter at the prices PSA constantly offers. The trigger and stock are about the only deviating performance elements in your lower half.

The accuracy, performance, endurance, and dependability of most of the other parts are to be taken seriously. Buy good products, because often good products can be found for the same price as the junk ones. This includes your barrel and BCG first and foremost, followed by your trigger, optics/sights, charging handle, stock, handguard/furniture. In some instances, the cheapest option may suit your needs just fine. And in others it may not.

16. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Might not be.

I've built several guns with PSA LPK's...all have had unusually clean milspec triggers...almost similar to the ALG QMS trigger.

I'm actually swapping out the trigger in my DD M4v3 today for a QMS, because it feels terrible compared to most of my other rifles that have either PSA or QMS. That and the price are why I keep using PSA LPK/LBK in my builds.

Maybe I've been lucky too....like 6-8 times.

17. Quentin

Quentin New Member

6-8 times, that's good to know! I was impressed by my single PSA kit and will buy from them again. A good basic trigger is very useable and all I need.

18. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Stay away from Vulcan/Blackthorne/Hesse.

19. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I can attest to this my BIL bought a DD LPK and wow was it ever rough . Rough sand paper like feel . He took it back to the place he bought it and they took it back . He did end up buying a PSA LPK and was very pleased

20. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

iono, I've personally installed at least 5 PSA LPK and only 2 were great, and 1 was decent, the other 2 were crappy I help a couple friends build their lowers with PSA lpks and they had great triggers. Guess I was just unlucky. I found out that stoning was not so easy, and was never satisfied with my work. Now, all my ARs have Geissele triggers or ALGs.

Oh and btw, my friend thought he'd save a buck and stoned his triggers. Damn thing went full auto on him when he released the bolt at the range. His finger was NOT on the trigger. Lucky for him the range officer was cool about it and asked him to remove the FCG asap.