Ar or no ar

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by southernfirepower, Mar 2, 2012.

1. southernfirepower

southernfirepower New Member

Hello ftf friends I've been looking into getting onto the ar platform for about a month now and I think I'm just about to make the jump now. I've been an ak owner for the last two years of my life and I absolutely love the platform but I want to try something different. Is the ar worth getting into? Basically I'm just afraid I will regret it. Ive done lots of research and am stumped. HELP!

2. Retaks

Retaks New Member

Personally i like the AK platform but love the AR platform. I say go for the AR.

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Hop on in the water is fine. Nothing to regret about an AR, lots of good info here to help you through the options and variations.

Help us out a bit, what do you plan to do, what's your budget, given any thought to building one versus buying off the shelf.

4. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Don't do it......it so hard to stop.....someone get me off this crazy ride......

5. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I wouldn't do it if you hate light, fast, smooth, accurate, and beautiful rifles. And don't forget comfortable, rugged, and reliable.

Edit: modular

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  6. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

No arsenal is complete without an AR or two or three.

7. southernfirepower

I'm looking to spend about 1200 to start off with and I think I'm leaning over to the di gas system vs piston. And I've been old if I build my own I can end up with a good quality ar for a few hundred less. What route would be better to buy, or build? And as far a brand how is rockriver?

8. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Build would get you more bang for your buck.

9. ZombieKiller83

ZombieKiller83 New Member

Build it!!! They are a rediculously simple rifle to build. I built mine when the only real knowledge i had about ar's, was what they looked like :eek:. Here's a video i found the other night that might help with your selection process

[ame]http://youtu.be/hgcpR2QYBSY[/ame]

Good luck and have fun, i know i did :D

10. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

A build on an AR is nothing like the build on an AK, the build on an AR is more like an assembly type process.
    If you are willing to build to save money you can just buy a lower & upper then put them together.
    Here is a inexpensive complete lower to put your upper on.
    http://www.usagunoutlet.com/Plum_Crazy_Firearms_C15_Complete_Lower_p/pcf-c15.htm
    Here is a nice upper to put on this lower.
    http://www.jsesurplus.com/custom16hbarmidlength1x9flattopuppercompletestandard-2-1.aspx
    After buying these two parts, front and rear sights, or scope & rings, plus shipping & transfer fee, it should only set you back $550 to$600. I would call that a good entry level AR.
    You may save a little more $$ by doing a complete build from parts but not much, and you won't have any warranty.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  11. EW1066

EW1066 Member Supporter

For the money in your budget you can get a COLT 6920, some ammo and some training. Don't go cheap on the weapon if you have the money to spend. If you feel a need to build then look into BCM for an upper and I hear that PSA is having a sale on its lowers. And please for the love of GOD stay away from big box stores. Better yet check out G&R tactical.http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?display=home The owner is a first class guy.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction

EDUB

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Have you shot an AR? Go do that and you'll be hooked. Everyone needs an AR and an AK in the armory!

I put my two ARs together, actually assembled the stripped lowers and bought complete uppers. Your price range will get you a great rifle. DI over piston is a smart choice but there are many other specs to consider and you have to decide on them depending on what you want the rifle to do. BCM, Colt and Daniel Defense are excellent choices. Think B,C,D! :D

13. southernfirepower

Yes I have shot one and being that I could handle the ak with ease the at was a slice'a pie. And I would really want it just to be really reliable and for the ever so infamous shtf scenario. But I also do want a fun shooter

14. southernfirepower

I wanted to thank all of you for your input and reassurance on the ar topic. I went ahead and took the first step to being an ar owner. I know it's not much but here are some pics of the receiver I purchased (spikes tactical), in the next month or so I'll be posting pics of a complete project. Thanks again.

View attachment 40697

View attachment 40698

View attachment 40700

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  15. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Cool. Go over to the Spikes Tac forum and you can see the history of your new rollmark.

16. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Nice start! You've got the necessary federal paperwork out of the way. Now everything can be shipped to your front door.

17. southernfirepower

i know i found it so funny that the least deadly part of the rifle to be the one you need an ffl for haha. but yes no the fun will begin

18. southernfirepower

Well guys here is the lower. I went ahead and put in a dpms h2 double tungsten buffer with skills pec buffer tube. I opted for a fixed stock just incase I have to hit something with it lol jk. The internals are all dpms for now, I really like the crisp trigger and short reset. And as you can see I opted for pmags.... I got two more. Oh and the trigger guard is from magpul as well. And the grip o's from ergo.....anyone have any ideas on any good uppers? I was thinking a high polished bolt?

image-1524183951.jpg

19. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Well, I know now who one of the folks were that bought the last of the uppers I was looking for!! ARGH. Looks good so far.

20. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Nice looking build so far. But I do have one suggestion. Get a regular carbine buffer too. Just make sure you have one the first time out. H2 buffers are nice but may have an adverse affect on your timing and cycling. Wait a minute is that a rifle length buffer tube? Do you have a rifle length h2 buffer?

At what ranges do you plan to shoot with it?