ar or ak?

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by sigman84, Oct 15, 2013.

1. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

OK guys I am having a bit of trouble with the decision. I love both platforms and have been looking at a SIG m400 or a m70. Sigs are about $350 more but can buy locally. Ak would have to order but have plenty of ammo for it already with my SKS. Whats y'all's opinion? I hate when I get like this because ideally I would rather have both but that's not feasible.

2. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

I prefer aks over ARS but you basically have a 2 piston ak already. Id get the ar first, if not only to piss of liberals

3. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

Anna, with every comment of yours I read, my respect for your witty humor grows. :)

4. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Why thank you Casey :)

5. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

OK so that's 1 for the SIG so far. Thx.

6. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

What I don't care for the Sigs is the built in pushbutton sling holders on the receiver. But other than that, they are AR's :D

7. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

I do like some of the things they have done. Several things to the bolt and carrier group. Plus the enhanced versions come with the furniture I would end up putting on one.

8. CJx

CJx New Member

What is the application you want the rifle for, plinking, self defense? How many yards away? Need to establish what you want the rifle for and where/how it will be applied to make a decision.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

the samples of the sigs ive handled ive felt were clumsy and a little off balance.

between a sig ar15 and ak47 i would go ak47 no question and i like the ar15 platform better.

10. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

Well im already good out to any range of roughly 800-1000 yards if I could hit that far. So mainly SD, plinking and shtf.

11. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

And the m400 enhanced that I have handled felt fairly balanced but everyone is different.

12. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

And as for this one I would be looking at 150 yards +/- a few

13. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

There is nothing an M70 can do for you that an M400 will not. The AR is a superior semiauto. It will likely be easier to shoot accurately in a dynamic drill, more optic friendly off the bench, and easier to modify or upgrade. But then we don't always buy the best car for the money. We often go for what we like, charts and stats be damned. Rationally speaking, a semiauto AK based rifle is a niche product for (some) hunters and collectors.

14. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

I am personally not an AR fan. In fact, I generally prefer the AK platform. However, as Mercator pointed out, the AK platform is more of a niche, no matter how much AK fans would like it to be otherwise.

Here's what most any AR platform gets you - (I can't speak for the SIG specifically)
    Easier to modify
    Easier to mount optics
    Easier maintenance (don't give me the crap about more small parts in the AR. You don't have to take them out to field strip.)
    Generally more accurate (YMMV)
    More and cheaper magazine options

I've heard the claim that 7.62mm WP is cheaper than 5.56mm NATO. In general, that is true, but actual .223 rounds generally run right about the same prce as the equivalent brand and type as 7.62mm WP. No price advantage to ammo between platforms. Also, with the ammo shortage more or less over, there are tons of .223 rounds on the shelf and a few brands of 7.62mm.

There are very good reasons these weapons are popular. You may get an AK and love it, or you may regret it and wonder what you missed. I may not care much for them, but I recognize them for what they are.

15. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

If you already have an SKS why get an AK?

Diversify!

One plus to using an AR for home defense is that the .223/5.56 loses a lot of its punch after it goes through a Sheetrock wall. It's actually a better option than most handguns if your worried about your round passing through the BG hitting somebody in the next room.

16. longunner

longunner New Member

I'm with delta on this one if you already have an sks definitely get an AR....something's telling me you'll end up with both eventually anyway :D

17. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Price wise between the Basic AK and AR your within $100 anyway so take your pick. I own both and I really dont have a favorite . Each has their benefits and down falls . Ammo is roughly the same price in my area , within a penny per round for FMJs . Both are really simple guns . Flip the coin you will eventually own both anyway.
    Now saying that Im not a big fan of rifles having proprietary parts like the Piston ARs , if you need parts you may have to wait . DI rifles most any shops carry parts for them

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  18. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I prefer AR over AK.

But I'm not a huge fan of Sig's rifles. They aren't terrible, but there are many options out there that suit me better at the same price.

19. TDS92A

TDS92A New Member Supporter

I was "raised" up on the AR / M-16 family and carried one for over 20 years. Let us just say that I am burned out on them.

Personally I prefer my (AK) WASR/10. I enjoy the ease of function and reliability. No tiny pieces to get lost when cleaning her.

I believe that it was mentioned earlier on this thread, figure out what you want to do with it, how much you are willing to spend and go from there. :D

20. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

Well I would really like the ar and love the feel and parts selection for them but I used to have a mac-90 and the paps are fairly cheap compared to ar's. Also have a bunch of ammo for the ak. Both do well out to the range I'm looking at. As far as walls go I live out in the country with my closest neighbor a 1/4 mile away or so. And yes I will eventually own both so I guess I will have to flip a coin!