Firearms Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,391 Posts
So I have been building a custom AR lower and I'm almost ready to purchase the upper and finish it. My issue is for less than my upper I can buy a complete AK, furthermore the price of ammo is about half, I could shoot an AK all day and not care about how much I just spent! For the $700-$800 range what would you guys recommend, my friendly local gun store has a CIA for $639. It seems the only thing on an AK that costs more is the mags. Lastly, anyone have an opinion on AK74's?

AK74s are great all the accuracy & less recoil than the .223 ARs.
I like the 5.45 round so much I bought an upper of that cal.for my AR so now my AR & AK shoots the same round for only about .11 to .12 cents per round.;)

· Registered
1,391 Posts
So I have been building a custom AR lower and I'm almost ready to purchase the upper and finish it. My issue is for less than my upper I can buy a complete AK, furthermore the price of ammo is about half, I could shoot an AK all day and not care about how much I just spent! For the $700-$800 range what would you guys recommend, my friendly local gun store has a CIA for $639. It seems the only thing on an AK that costs more is the mags. Lastly, anyone have an opinion on AK74's?
You could buy one of these uppers & shoot all day long for the same price as if you were shooting an AK.

http://www.usarmorycorps.com/index....product_id=92&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

· Registered
1,391 Posts
Let me start by saying I love ak's. they are the number one assault rifle in the world for a reason. However I am not a big fan of really small calibers. The ak74 round was designed around the idea of shooting a small projectile really fast to pierce body armor. Not good for hunting. Unless your hunting body armor. With that said every caliber has a "purpose" or effective use. So unless you are just slinging lead and don't care, think about what you want to use it for.
The AK74 is good for prairie dogs, squirrels, & coyotes as long as you are not right on top of them when you pull the trigger.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.