AR maintenance..

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by okdonk, Dec 18, 2011.

1. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Good day friends..
    I just bought a DD M4V2 which ill be picking it up at my local FFL next week, hopefully.
    A newbie question, hope don't mind me asking.
    How often should i clean an AR15? Every 1, 2 or 3k rounds? I ordered 1k rounds of wolf 223 ammos from luckygunner.com.
    Quite cheap and good reviews eventhough made in Russia.
    Thank you for inputs.. appreciate it.

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

personally i clean mine after every firing, regardless if its 10 rounds or 300. at the end of the day its cleaned before getting put away. and also every couple of weeks it gets a wipe down/oiling. the dirt and gunk in an ar can build up fast sometimes. and i just like it to be clean and ready to go... there are some pople that have not cleaned one for thouasands of rounds just to see how they stand up. but thats not for me

3. Quentin

Quentin New Member

It's up to you. This last year I've been lazy about thorough cleaning but my firearms keep working. If it absolutely must work next time then of course check it out.

We haven't said anything about lubrication yet!

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

I'm with jjfuller. I clean mine every time I shoot, and I clean it thoroughly.

The only time they get just a wipe down is when they've been carried or stored and not fired.

My carry gets wiped down every day (about 2 seconds with a lightly oily rag), my rifle gets a quickie wipe down once a week.

5. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Thank u guys for the inputs. Will have much more to learn from u all ;)

6. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I'm not one to clean mine very often.

2 reasons:

1. I really don't have to much attachment (they're simply tools) to my ARs though I think they are the sexiest looking firearm other than a Colt 1873 w/ a little patina.

2. Curiosity. I want to see how much I can get away w/. So far so good running a combo of steel and brass ammo.

7. MrWray

MrWray New Member

If your using wolf ammo you will need to give it more TLC than with a good brass cased ammo. Wolf uses a corrosive powder and uses a steel case which is laquer coated,some of the laquer can come off and end up in your bolt carrier and eventually gum it up. I would use wolf to plink with if i had it,just BE SURE to thoroughly clean her after every time you shoot the wolf through it.

8. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Not true. I can personally attest to it. I am around 2k and have yet to clean. Hell I've even ran a mixture of brass and steel in the same range trip w/o any problems.

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

You shoot that much without cleaning? BLASPHEMY!!! Kidding, lol, your gun your choice.

10. okdonk

okdonk New Member

As everyone suggested. Of course i will clean it after use. Just like my glock 19, i field strip it completely and give a detail clean each time after use.

11. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Buy quality and rest assured ;)

There's so much BS surrounding this issue. Kinda like the BS surrounding steel ammo.

Like Q said nobody has mentioned lube. I personally like to talk about lube. It makes me feel kinda dirty. Lube your sh*t and you'll be GTG.

12. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

It's not the powder that in some of the foreign ammo that's corrosive, it's the primers they use, and Wolf uses non corrosive primers, so no worries there.

Steel used to be lacquer coated, but it isn't any more, it's polymer coated. The only ammo I know of that's still lacquer coated is Brown Bear. The problem isn't with lacquer getting into the BCG, it supposedly builds up in the chamber.

The only time I've ever seen it present a problem is when you load a round in a HOT chamber that has had quite a few lacquer coated rounds through it, then leave the round in there until the chamber cools off. This causes the lacquer to somewhat soften, the re-harden and adhere to the chamber wall, thus causing a problem.

I personally shoot Wolf, and have no worries about it having any negative effects on my rifle. It's a good cheap ammo to use for training and plinking purposes, but I wouldn't recommend using it for self defense.

-Fred

13. Primul

Primul New Member

Id recommend cleaning after each use, helps reliability, accuracy in the long run, resale value if you keep it nice looking, etc. If your on a time schedule just take it home, while your watching tv that night clean it.

Be safe...

14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I'm also a fan of Wolf and other steel case, you can't beat it for practice. After 500 rounds and only lubrication, no cleaning, I did have a failure to extract with my Daniel Defense AR. Kinda sad, I thought I'd get more, like MJ has with his DD but that goes to show nothing is identical. Since then I read at M4C forums that DD has had issues with some extractors so I replaced the extractor, spring and insert with BCM's and am now around 600rds. But the chamber is pretty cruddy now, I may get out the chamber brush one of these days...

Anyway, I think people do more damage by over vigorous cleaning than not enough cleaning.