AR lube??

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by sbach311, May 27, 2013.

1. sbach311

sbach311 New Member

I'm looking for any recommendations you guys have on a good lubricant for my colt? Will my Hoppes #9 work ok or do I need to use some sort of grease. What do you guys think??

2. readygirl

readygirl New Member

PJ - Lubricates, and makes your gun smell good....:D

3. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Get a quart of mobil 1 5-30 synthetic engine oil . Dont need any other magical stuff besides this . 8000+ uncleaned round rifle using this and still functioned perfectly

4. readygirl

readygirl New Member

No...really. CLP for in between maint cleanings. Then for a full strip..Break free, and #9 to clean, and Mobil-1 50wt full synthetic , 1qt mixed with 1/4 pint atf to lube, applied with q-tip, and syringe . Note--a little goes a long way....

5. readygirl

readygirl New Member

That works too........:)

6. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Spit on it heh

I like g96

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  7. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

I have been using FireClean Lub for a good while. It is outstanding!!! It does much more than just lube.
    It is a cleaner and conditioner all in one. Those that use it give it a five star rating.
    try this link, http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/FRCFC-2.aspx\\ if link dose not work, go to DSGarms site and type in FireClean lubricant.

8. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if someone recommended KY His and Hers for a lubricant! Just lube it with whatever you've got? LOL

9. readygirl

readygirl New Member

If you play with it enough...it might just lube itself.....:)

10. kytowboater

I like to run it wet. Haven't had any hang ups, even even hammering on it.

11. kytowboater

Which is why I like G96. It's a clp

12. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Pay attention to these points with whatever brand of machine oil you prefer and you shouldn't have a problem:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. kytowboater

Very nice. Thank you for that.

14. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I would disagree on one point. The firing pin should be DRY.

15. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I cvan't imagine using grease on a gun.

There are a couple of Hi-Teck greases like Shooter's Choice(The pink stuff in the syringe") that are okay for slide rails and locking lugs, but it just stands my teeth on edge to go to a match and watch someone just "fill up" the action with lubriplate or even axle grease.

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

i just use 30w motor oil on the carrier i dip a finger in the oil and rub it on the carrier then reassemble cycle the rifle a few times and it gets everywhere needed.

if you lube according to the military manual you will have jams and failures.

using machine oil or gun oil isnt going to work that well under heavy use since heat rapidly destroys most machine oils and all gun oils. motor oil has a very high threashold of thermal breakdown and running even full auto its not going anywhere. after a few shots you might not have wasted time using a light machine/gun oil as its all pretty much evaporated due to thermal break down and your rifle is now dry as a bone.

i use gun oil cleaners like clp for cleaning and storage. using a gun its motor oil. grease is used when the weather drops below freezing.

i use grease on ccw guns so it doesnt leak into my clothes.

i learned about the properties of motor oil in firearms when i was running a m60 in the military. i also learned taht the manual is pretty much wrong on how to lube a AR15/M16

whatever you use it doesnt take a lot and dripping wet is just as bad as dry.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  17. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I'm a big fan of RemOil for general cleaning and Slip2000 EWL for desired extra-slipperiness...on all my guns.

18. kytowboater

I see what you did there. :D

19. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Normally I would agree (glock for instance) but I've always been taught to lightly oil the pin in the ar.
    Do you know something I don't?

20. nosaj

nosaj New Member

A friend mixed me some "Redlube". Its a mixture of Mobil 1, transmission fluid, air tool conditionong oil, and hoppes #9