Ar lower build....important notes to stupid

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by 556plinker, Aug 12, 2010.

1. 556plinker

556plinker New Member

1st BUILD and going slowly as the wallet allows!

LESSON #1
    If you are not satisfied with your new OVERSIZED MAG DROP BUTTON do not install your bolt catch. I just had to put it together so I could see how my BAD LEVER fitted, not to mention looked....I just had to, I know you all understand. When I decided that, well, I think I should remove the oversized mag button that did not have a deep enough throat.......I decided to keep it do to the fact that it cannot be removed without uninstalling the bolt catch. The mag button is in the well but not as far as I would have liked....functional but not perfect.

Lesson #2
    I completed the entire assembly on the SPIKES lower ALL BY MYSELF with only a few small punches, tape, hammer, block of wood, box cutter and needle nose pliers in about an hour. Trigger assembly, trigger guard,...etc not a problem and NO SCRATCHES to the receiver. The only thing left was the buffer spring and buffer. I was awash in glee!.....and then I came up with the wonderful idea to see how it functioned with the upper from my complete ar that I had previously purchased. It fit great and I was quite proud until I decided to pull the charging handle back and stick the bolt into the receiver extension tube with no spring in it. Bonehead move which required the removal of the extension tube and subsequent launch of the take down spring and detent! I found it though!

Lesson #3
    Put it together completely, with all parts. If anyone as dumb as me can complete a lower, ANYONE can build an AR. My friend has the vice block/wrenches and I am eagerly awaiting to go full bore on the upper. Stay tuned for more "People do the stupidest things when building AR's".

2. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

Great post Plinker! Very funny and well written.

Lets see some pics....

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Good on ya'.

4. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

That is a good anecdote, 556. I wouldn't call it stupidity at all, just carelessness and haste that results from over-enjoyment and satisfaction.

Could be much worse. . .

I also shot the detent and spring at some point and also miraculously found them (on a semi-swept garage floor) with out much trouble.

5. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

It's easy to get excited with a new project. I know I do. Thanks for the entertaining post.

6. TheDaggle

TheDaggle Member

Mine ricocheted off a lamp and a conveniently located beer neon right onto the styrofoam mat in front of me :p I think everyone does that at least once.

7. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

I got all the way to the take down pin detent before I ran into trouble. The trouble being I could not find the take down pin detent. I had been so careful about keeping everything together. I searched the entire work area and the floor. I even went over everything with a magnet. No detent. After a good cry I thought hey I can make one of these. I found a finishing nail the right diameter, cut it to length, and shaped the ends with my Dremel. Whala... a detent. It worked a little rough but it worked.

I e mailed the parts company and told them they forgot to send the second detent. Got the replacement in about a week. Still have that nail as a memento.

8. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

Well done, 556! You have the huevos to give us the real story....some of us probably don't....myself included!

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

And these types of posts are how the rest of us know that you really did build your lower. Only those issues arise when you do the work yourself, but you learned a bunch about your equipment in the process.

Well done and very informative reporting sir!

10. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

haha, I did that with my dad's recently competed lower, except I launched the bolt retainer( because the Receiver extension for the carbine stock had an extended lip to make life easier). Couldn't find the retainer piece... cause the cat had it in his mouth... dropped it next to the lower for me though!

11. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Cool, I have never heard of a retreiving cat.

12. 556plinker

556plinker New Member

"stupid" reporting back in

I can see that by the replies I am not dealing with anal retentive perfectionist....that is a good thing and comforting to know that I am in good company. I like the dry cleaning bag tip!.....must be an experienced veteran. I will post a pic WHEN I HAVE IT COMPLETED...no premature ejaculation here! I must report that I am finally shooitng at an acceptable level (with a scope). I worked up a load for my bargain bin cmmg for $650 1-7" 16" midlength using a sierra 69 gr hpbt with 23.3 grains of ramshot tac. Man that was great...I zeroed at 50 with 55 grain federals and at 100 I was 3" high @ 200(3" group) I was dead on and at 300 I was 3" low and had a 5 shot group that would be covered with a paper plate with room to spare!....good for me but maybe not as good as the rest of you shooters. I am hoping that my build will produce better results. I am suggesting that it might be a prudent thing to buy an extra lower or 2 to get ahead of any bans that might come about as a result of the zealots in D.C.....500 rounds of ammo should also be the self imposed minimum limit of acceptability to keep on hand......Just another one of those irrelevant, unsophisticated morons clinging to my guns and religion. Peace out and remember "Arms are for hugging"!

13. 556plinker

556plinker New Member

just a lower.....I'm no longer a virgin

I finished awhile back and here is a pic. Standby for more excitement when I try to do the upper......this should be good!:D

Attached Files:

• 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      File size:
      82 KB
      Views:
  14. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

Looking good, Plink.

The upper is a breeze, but you should have the vice blocks and a torque wrench.

15. 556plinker

556plinker New Member

Another misadventure

This is a receiver extension tube, please note the following:

They come in two sizes, "Milspec" and "Commercial". When you are buying pieces and parts during your slow build you might want to retain your receipts so you know what the hell you have and what the heck you paid for the various components. Needless to say, I forgot and hid the receipts somewhere that I could not find and my wife could not discover. I know,.... I'll just take my completed lower to the gun show and try out both the commerical and milspec stocks to insure a perfect fit of the Magpul MOE I intended to purchase. I handed my lower to the expert salesman who could not make either sizes fit and the next thing I know he is unscrewing the RECEIVER EXTENSION TUBE which resulted in the second launch(of this project) of the take down spring/detent into and amongst the throng of gun enthusiasts. I was less than amused and this peaked the interest of the other two saleman behind the table who then began their own quests to attach the stock to the now liberated extension tube. Their attempts were unsuccessful and they claimed that they really wished that they had a vice for some unknown reason. As fate would have it, they happened to have both a new extension tube and a spring/detent to install. After another episode of the 3 stooges I was able to embrace my lower, complete with MOE, another spring/detent and different new extension tube that had just a little more shine......mat, flat or shiny, I didn't give a dang at that point. The stock fit well and I considered it a victory to get out of that place with a lower that remained functional.

Moral of the story: Remember what size extension tube that you purchased so that you can order the proper stock. Building an AR-15 has been easy to this point, it's just the stupid things you do that complicates matters. Stay tuned.

Attached Files:

16. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

What you have pictured there appears to be a Mil-Spec buffer tube...see below.

[​IMG]

17. 556plinker

556plinker New Member

My cheapo Caliper sucks!!!! BUT, these jacklegs couldn't get either size to fit so I guess it is a good thing that it happened this way. I have NO clue what size tube I have on now because I took my lower and ran like hell without the stock box indicating the size of stock I had!!! :D Wait..it is slanted and has more holes so I guess I have a commercial. Thanks JPYLE....should have PM'd you first before this got out of hand!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  18. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

Congrats on your build!
    I built my first lower about 3 weeks ago, I had no issues at all till the detent springs, The front one on mine I think I launched it twice, Lucky for my I was in a small area, Still took a bit to locate, But I bent the hell out of the rear spring trying to tighten the butt stock on. :eek: But I bought another and straightened out the bent one at work.
    Best of luck.

19. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

I will say i didnt shoot my spring or detent across the room... however i had them in a small ziploc bag in my MIAD grip when the bag snagged and ripped sending everthing everywhere in my dining room... dark tan carpet and small black parts. yeah had to vaccumm and sort thru the dust and ****. still no avail ordered some spares now have plenty.

20. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Careful with that pic, I've found exceptions to 2 of the main features. The back of the tube can be square on some commercial tubes and there are also 4 position commercial diameter tubes available.