Ar lower age requirements

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by carbon15man, Oct 20, 2012.

1. carbon15man

carbon15man New Member

I was wonder if you had to be 21 to order an ar lower. I feel like I've read that somewhere before and I was wondering bc I want to build my own

2. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

Not sure of the laws where you are but I bumped into an old student of mine about a month and a half ago and he was buying parts to build an AR and he's 20.

3. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I'm petty sure you only have to be 18. An AR is a riffle so it should still fall under that category.

4. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

All ar lower receivers can be used as a pistol so you are required to register them as if it was a pistol. Stating that you must be 21, once a stock is on it then the age requirement is 18. No dealer will/should sell a lower to under 21 because batfe will not be nice to them.

5. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Yep. To buy a stripped lower you have to be 21.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

FEDERAL law- applies to ALL states. To buy a rifle or shotgun from a dealer, you must be 18. For OTHER firearms, age 21. A lower by itself is not a rifle or a shotgun, it is an OTHER- you need to be 21.

7. carbon15man

carbon15man New Member

So by what you guys are saying I can get an complete lower with the rifle stock on it?

8. KansasCandR

KansasCandR New Member

No, not unless it's mated with an upper with a barrel of at least 16". A receiver, even with a buttstock, is still transferred as an "other" on a 4473. The GCA rules are 21 and up with an exception for rifles and shotguns, not 18 and up with an exception for handguns. Since a receiver is not a rifle or shotgun there is no way to apply the exception. Your dealer could mate it with a rifle upper but he may need a 07 FFL and the sale will also be subject to the excise tax. IIRC, structuring a purchase so as to avoid the tax liability is tax evasion and can earn you and your dealer license plate manufacturing lessons courtesy of Uncle Sam.

Mated with a barrel of less than 16", a receiver and buttstock will fall under Title II (NFA) rules and cannot be transferred under Title I (GCA) regs. Title II is 21 minimum age, too.

It may be possible to buy a receiver in a private sale but I only have experience with C&R and Title I FFL purchases. Honestly, the BATF is very helpful with these questions and their documented response can keep you off the government "naughty list". I find that they are easier to deal with if you think of them as an extension of the IRS (as they were originally chartered).

9. carbon15man

carbon15man New Member

Thank you sounds like you really know ur stuff