Ar is broken :(

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by xcoreyyyx, Jul 30, 2012.

1. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

My friend and I took his AR to the range today yet again. I sighted in his primary arms pac3x scope that is brand new practically(3rd time using it). Got it sighted in at 25 yards. Shoots absolutely perfect no problems what so ever. Moved target to 50 yards, shot at center bullseye expecting a little bullet drop, the hole was 4 inches above the bullseye. It didn't make any sense to either of us. We put 10 rounds down range with all the same result. All above the bullseye. Moved the target back to 25 yards, shot dead on. At 50 yards, I had it absolutely perfect line straight above the bullseye but a centimeter here and there between bullets trying to figure out what was wrong. We are still clueless about the whole situation. Didn't know if it was a defective scope or what. He is checking into it tonight. Any ideas? Picture @ 25 yards zeroing in, 30 rnds.

Attached Files:

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

It's perfectly fine. Don't worry about it.
    Try it at 100 yards.

3. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

its not broke. thats the bullet trajectory. you sighted it in at 25yds. that is pretty close for a scope. so after the bullet hits 25 yards it starts "climbing up" past the axis of the scope so at 50 it was hitting high. i bet if you shot it at 100 or 200 you would be closer to the center again as the bullet begins to fall.

note. whenever you sight in a scope the scopes line of sight will differ from the path the bullet travels, thus the scope will intersecte the bullets path at 2 distances. and be either higher or lower at all other distances in between.
    hope the picture helps

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  4. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

Crap 100 range. This dude there last time was talking about all of these competitions and all he has shot at and all of the guns he had. I was pretty taken back by it all. He was just handing us stuff to shoot and just on and on about all the competitions he has shot at. Tried to help out here and there. Pretty awesome of an older man to just "take to" some youngers that are seemingly "heathen". The ar is forever broken. It was the 3rd time shooting it and its having nothing but issues xD The title was towards the issues he is having with it considering there are probably less than 200 rounds through it. Not so much the scope that he could have paid 100$ more and got something worth the money. But as I said in the last thread about his AR, its his money and its his gun. Can't really tell him too much with how to shoot it or what to get for it.

5. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

BTW, I am not one to buy any type of scope. I have always learned to shoot irons up to 100 yards. Then you can barely make out a quarter.

6. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

7. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

100 Yard range max :(:(:(:(

8. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

Friend is having ejection and chambering issues with it. Sometimes it wants to double feed, sometimes it wont even feed anything into the chamber. The bolt totally misses. Last time, mistake was on his part by not bringing a wrench to tighten down the scope and he wasn't driving 30 mins home then 30 mins back. It has been nothing but let downs for him. I feel bad for him.

9. towboater

towboater Active Member

Probably mag issues.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  10. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

It's all wizardry and witchcraft to me. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: nonsense and confusion. Scopes and trajectory paths and crap. I am used to bullet drop and that's it. None of these fancy range finders and all of the wizardry out there. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: forgive me.

11. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

so zero it at 50yards. it should only be 1-2 in high at 100 this way.

feeding problems are most the time the magazines, or the ammo. have him try different brands of ammo. if its still not working try different mags. if its still not working.... is there any warranty with it??

12. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

He is replacing them when a gunshow is around again. He just missed them not thinking he needed new mags. I will also be picking up a few for myself. Fancy guy at gun range was talking about his 60 round mag. We were laughing considering it must add so much weight and look completely stupid.

13. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

bullet drop is just part of trajectory. it happens after the bullet rises.. it then has to drop :p

14. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

LMFAO. I don't even think he asked about a warranty. It was a custom build at a gunshow where he got to pick and choose of what the guy had there on display and he would put it together in front of you. He has the guys card but he didn't even think about it I bet. I am sure since what he paid for it they would honor some type of warranty they have.

15. walt629

walt629 New Member

Have him verify the buffer and spring are the correct combination for the barrel length.

16. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

I just want it to hit what I am shooting at. None of this rise fall bs. I guess I have learned something new today. I thank you all. I shall pass it all on to him. He has me zero it because his shooting is a little bit off. I think he jerks the trigger and he says he gets scared when he goes to pull the trigger and flinches. He will learn.

17. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

Double post :c refer below

18. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

This was one of my other threads. He seems to have taken it apart to relube the thing and clean it very well. Found out that it is seemingly a carbine buffer tube with a rifle length barrel. No clue about the weight yet. He didn't have the tools at his house to do it so next time he is here, I will do it.

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

just a note. bullets dont rise. in ballistics only rockets rise. bullets drop and they start dropping as soon as they leave the barrel. to get a bullet to hit a point of aim you have to elevate the muzzle. this sends the bullet into a ballistic arc.

think of it as an arch. the base of an arch hits the ground at two spots. each spot could be considered a zero elevation spot. a bullet does the same thing. the distance between the two zero spots is determined by the bullet weight speed and aerodynamic coefficient.

for a 223/556 that arch or arc hitting zero at 25 yards will typically hit zero again at 150-200yds.

so what you were exeriencing is not bullet rise but the muzzzle of the rifle pointed slightly upwards to fire the bullet in a arc.