AR info

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Saia73, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Saia73

Saia73 New Member

I am a Newbie to the whole AR world. I'm looking for dependability, best bang for buck pun intended. Not sure which direction I should travel except the caliber 5.56. Any help would.

2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Are you willing and able to build one your self ? What kind of shooting do you intend on doing with it ? Bench shooting or off hand ?

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i would recommend reading the stickies at the beginning of this section. deciding on your needs or wants in what you expect from the AR you are wanting. decide on a budget and then proceed from there.

buy vs. build is another good point to consider. building many times allows a better AR for much less than a pre-built factory model. many times allows you to have the features you desire for much cheaper than buying one and changing things to suit your needs.

need to decide it's usage as well, as this can help define what your needs are when choosing an AR. competition, general plinking, SD, hunting or other usage.

5. Wcorker4

Wcorker4 New Member

Definitely figure out what you want and go from their. Then price of parts. I bought my a part at a time. Just started shooting out 3 weeks ago and Am very pleased with it after a round a year off building it. My goal was dependability so I went with nickel boron parts.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Firearms Talk mobile app

Attached Files:

6. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

What are those two things on top of your receiver rail?

7. Squawk

Squawk New Member

Lol magpul flip up sights. That's the shortest sight radius I've ever seen on an AR. You know the front sight is supposed to go on the handguard?

Lol

8. Wcorker4

Wcorker4 New Member

It doesn't have the rail pieces for the hand gaurd yet. Suo they just sit there for now. Not allowed to actually finish it till after Christmas. Shooting it using a red dot scope till its complete.

9. Wcorker4

Wcorker4 New Member

So yes I know where they are suppose to be. I was only allowed to get it to firing condition before Christmas. Don't have a couple things still like the rail and a flash hider.

10. CrunchyFrog

CrunchyFrog Member

I am partial to Palmetto State Armory since I live in SC. PSA opened a new store here in Greenville recently which makes it convenient for me although some of their good deals are online sales which are not available in store. Some folks have not given them high marks for delivery time or for communications. My experience with items I have ordered online from PSA have been fine.

I am a relative AR newbie myself. It was hard for me to know what I wanted and there seemed to be endless options and configurations. For my first AR I decided to keep it fairly simple and try for an all around gun, if there is such a thing.

I built my first rifle. PSA had opened a new location in Columbia and I stopped by to check it out while I was in town for work. Saw a sign that they had stripped lower receivers on sale for $49.95 and figured I could not go wrong at that price, so I bought one and put it in the safe. I still had little idea of what I wanted although I was fortunate to have a couple of friends with a little experience with ARs who could help me. Over several months I purchased the parts to build a "complete lower", mostly as I found things on sale. I bought everything from PSA except for my rear sight and charging handle that I bought at a show. I assembled the lower myself which was pretty easy. I didn't try to build the upper from parts since that requires tools and expertise that I don't have. I purchased a "complete upper" in last year's Black Friday sale. It is a pretty basic rifle except that I did purchase an upgraded trigger.

PSA had lowers on sale again for $50 for Black Friday this year so I bought another and am building my second rifle. I think I will make this one lightweight and compact. I chose "flat dark earth" color for the "furniture" where my first rifle is basic black.

I am no expert but my thought process went this way. First, select the chamfering; we both went with 5.56. Second, do you want the "direct impingement" operation or a piston system (the Ruger is an example of the latter); I went with DI. Next, choose the "gas system" which determines the length of the barrel and handguard. Going down in length your choices are rifle length, midlength and carbine. I wanted a 16" bbl and chose a "middy".

Even with all those decisions made there are many possible configurations. Do you want a free floating handguard or the traditional setup with the "A2 type" front sight and two piece handguards? I went with the latter on my first build but may go with one of the slim rails on my second build. The type of barrel is another choice, even with the traditional configuration.

Do you want to use iron sights only? A receiver with the "carry handle" may appeal to you. Planning to mount a scope or other optical sight? A flattop receiver might be a better choice, or you can get one with a removable carry handle.

You can read about other options such as forged v. billet construction. The many different styles and finishes for the bolt carrier group. Twist rate of the barrel. For my purposes I didn't stress over these items. Once I have put a few thousand rounds downrange I may develop the ability to tell the difference.

I have enjoyed learning a little bit about the AR. I hope you will too.

11. Saia73

Saia73 New Member

Thanks guys for the great info. I will continue my research and stay in touch. Merry Christmas.

12. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Dang! That's a heck of a deal. That makes me want to go build another one.

OP, if I can build one; you can build one. Read through the resources on here. There are some great YouTube videos as well that show the process. It is not that hard at all.

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i agree building an AR is a good option. we have lots of stickies detailing the step and parts needed right here on the forum, plus many knoledgeable members who can help with any problems that might occur.

14. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

Building is not a good option if you only intend on having one..... It's an addiction! Once you build the first one, it's all down hill from there! You finish one and already have ideas for the next two. Eeeeek!

15. Saia73

Saia73 New Member

An addiction that u can live with. I like

16. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

One of our members dropped this site on us a little while ago and it is excellent!

www.gunwatcher.com

Also, the best, straightforward AR-15 info. I've ever read is on a thread here entitled: AR 15 - A Beginners Guide. Member Agent Tiki did as great job of compiling and explaining the AR-15 platform, as I have ever read. He also is happy to answer your questions!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  17. Saia73

Saia73 New Member

Thanks for the helpful info. I can see that I can easily be an enthusiast very rapidly.