AR in 7.62x54R?¿?

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by Crazvet, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

With the Russian ammo being cheaper then most handgun rounds I think a AR-10 modified for 7.62x54 would be a wildly fun range gun. I would have enormous pleasure knowing I'm paying way less then the guy beside me firing 7.62x51. The big question is could it be done without spending a small fortune in modifications?

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Considering the extra steps or parts needed to reliably feed a rimmed cartridge in a semi-auto it would take some significant modification, a complete new design of the mag or a special upper. The rounds would require some kind of interrupter or a mag that prevented rim lock and a ramp that got the rim clear of obstructions on the way to the chamber. Probably cheaper to find a PSL.

3. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

PSL? I was picturing making a jig to trim the rim, my concern is safely trimming live ammo.

4. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

I don't think the cartridge lends itself to a semi auto platform. I would like to see a modern bolt action gun use this round personally. I think the tolerances associated with this round make it a real challenge.

5. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Economical Milsurp ammo is like a Spring snow. It never last very long. Most people would not spend a $1,000 dollars for an AR-10 chambered in an antiquated Communist Bloc Ctg. Very soon thousands of Nagant owners will be without ammo for their gun show bargains. :rolleyes:

6. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Russian 7.62 is .311 dia. not .308 like the American 7.62/.30 cal.

7. SSGN_Doc

PSL is a Romanian Designated Marksman Rifle that is basically a up sized AK and uses mags similar to a Dragunov. It fires the 7.62x54r, is semi-auto, and usually cheaper than an AR10. Not quite as refined or as accurate as a true Dragunov. But much more obtainable, and reasonably accurate. Also designed from the beginning for the round you are wanting to shoot. A real Dragunove is hard to come by, has a different gas system, and floated barrel. Parts do not interchange. Most actual Drags will cost well north of $2000 while the PSLs can still be found for a grand or less.

8. SSGN_Doc

Yeah, that too. But if you were doing a barrel for the 7.62x54r chamber, you would also bore it correctly as well.

9. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

Doubtful. The cheap corrosive stuff may disappear but the round will be manufactured due to the large market that exists. Economics 101

10. Mercator

Mercator New Member

The big challenge is to feed this round into a bolt action. The Mosin rifle has an added part, the interrupter, to cycle the rimmed 7.62. The contemporary Enfields and Mausers did not need it. It appears that failed interrupters were a problem during WW1. But I agree with chloeshooter, why not recreate a better Mosin-Nagant with a real good trigger, scope mounts, etc. Evidently, the corporate bean counters say no.

11. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

I'm obviously new to thinking of customizing firearms platforms, I was mostly basing the ideal on cheap ammo. Thx for the easy let down, on a lot of forums a dumb ideal will get ya reamed lol

12. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

Don't worry, give this thread enough time, and it will get stupid....they always do :p

13. SSGN_Doc

If people didn't think outside the box every now and again we'd still be throwing rocks. It's good to ask question, and its good to have good discussions about them.

14. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

True enough, I mentioned running intake spacers(to stop the intake manifold from absorbing heat from the engine block) on my Subaru WRX w a map from my tuner that didn't account for "cooler" air and NASIOC forum gods swooped down from above to call me every known name for idiot, even tho I called Cobb(brand of tuner) and they told me the worst that could happen is I may see better performance. Some people need to lighten up, forums are the best thing the internet has to offer minus the "forum gods" lol. Forums are like modern Guild's open to anyone!!

15. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

I hate being in boxes lol:p

16. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

to me, a forum is like your local watering hole. everybody has their favorite place to sit; most people do not wish to sit next to Cliff Claven, and most of us like to avoid the belligerent drunk looking for a fight. sooner or later though, some a**hat starts something with you and your choice is simple: argue/fight with the clown or walk out the door. we don't get to choose who comes and goes, only whether or not we wish to stay

Attached Files:

17. Mercator

Mercator New Member

The picture shows sailors from two different navies. Any history to this?

18. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Check out the Russian molto vepr in 54r semi auto of" your ****ed" Would be a lot of fun

19. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

For a gun to take off you need to be able to sell it all over the world. So many countries forbid civilians from owning weapons chambered for cartridges used by any military. I would either develop a new cartridge all together or pick an established cartridge that would make manufacturing a reliable weapon easy.

20. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

actually the concept could be done again in this cartridge as Savage did with the Model 340 in 30-30 many years ago. i think it would be a neat rifle if that round was chambered in a more modern bolt action, but would probably not be huge seeling rifle, so more than likely would never be made in the first place.