AR in 7.62 x 39

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Gatoragn, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I have a Zombie Defense stripped lower on order, should be here first week of May. I am considering putting a 7.62 x 39 upper on the lower I plan to build.

Who has experience with AR's in 7.62 x 39? So far I have only found information about Bushmaster and Olympic complete uppers. DPMS lists an upper on their website in 7.62 x 39, but there is no information available yet.

Considering the 7.62 x 39 because I already have a 5.56 / 223 and just want to have something different.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  2. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Great concept, poor implementation. The taper of the round makes it very hard to get to feed reliably in a standard AR mag well. Where the mag seats, there is no curve, which 7.62x39 needs in order to function well.

44Mag.com has the CProducts mags for a pretty good deal, though, and they are the best of the 7.62x39 mags afaik.

I'd go with another caliber, but the decision is yours.

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't want to drop $500.00 plus on something that does not work.

There are other calibers I am interested in, but ammo is so expensive, e.g. 6.8SPC.

Of course buliding another 5.56/223 would fit the KISS concept when buying ammo.

4. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

How about .300AAC BLK? I'm thinking of doing one for my next build.

Or, you could do a 9mm. They are a LOT of fun.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

Or 45. Ton of fun with one of those uppers.

I was up in marshfield 3 weeks ago work related. If you find yourself down se wis your welcome to test drive my 45acp upper and 458socom.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  6. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I went w/ C Product mags and had good success. Well once they exchanged the ones
    I initially purchased for their current gen mags.

Ar15Performance.com makes a great system in 7.62x39. Their bolt takes care of some issues caused by lack of material in key areas.

I however wouldn't do x39 again. I'm currently waiting on my .300 blk barrel so we'll see how that goes.

As far as curring your desire for something different why not try a different combination/style of 5.56 AR. Maybe try a KISS style. or how about a super light weight? Maybe a precision build or a build geared more towards a combat use rifle?

Its easier keeping your ammo selection to a minimum. Its cheaper as well.

7. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

I've heard all the same things, but I would love to get my hands on one just to see what it would take to get it to function properly. 7.62x39 is a cool (and cheap) surplus round that would really add to the AR's potential ...If it could be reliable

8. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

All you need to get a 7.62x39 to function properly is the number to ar15performance.com and give C Products a call for some magazines. Once I recieved good mags it functioned 100%.

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I was going to echo some of what mjkeat has posted.

The 7.62 x 39mm is a powerful, POWERFUL round inside of about 200 yards. So for a multifire weapon with multiple rounds on target, it's going to do the job.

The problem is, unless you are building a street to street, urban battlefield rifle, it's going to present "issues" in reliability and accuracy.

The ammo isn't "spec", which means it varies quite a bit from lot to lot and sometimes round to round in a single shot, precision category.

If you have a want for this type of rifle, your big issue is going to be tuning the weapon in the following categories:

1) Uneven ammo pressure

2) Feed ramps

3) Magazines, Magazines, Magazines.

Those three categories are going to be key to building a reliable, accurate and consistent weapon.

Personally?

I would look at a different application. :eek:

JD

10. Thomas Carey

Thomas Carey New Member

If I were getting an AR it would for sure be in 6.8. The guys I know from Rock River Arms have convinced me it's the way to go. =)

11. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

I bought mjkeat's 7.62 barrel, BCG and magazines he had for sale, I have worked on the feed ramps, I have been able to get the rounds to feed manually, So far so good, I am also ready to start reloading(I know it can be more expensive) But that should help on the ammo unevenness.
    I haven't had a chance to get to the range with it, But we all have to start somewhere.

12. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Are you having problems w/ it?

13. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

not with anything in particular, Just some fine tuning of my mutt :cool:
    Thanks for asking

14. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Cool. The last thing I wanted was any disappointment.

15. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

I built three from Mod 1 Sales kits years ago. A 16" carbine and two 20" full size rifles. All 3 have ran 100% from day one with DPMS frankenmags and Yugo brass cased ammo. I built one of the 20" rifles for my oldest boy, so really I only have 2 but get to shoot all 3. :)

Over the years I have noticed a few things about mine. Don't know if any of this can cross-apply to the other makers or not?

First thing, ammo has not been an issue. All I've ever used in them is the Yugo brass cased military surplus FMJ. I bought a lifetime supply years ago on the cheap. I have tried mixing ammo, Russian hollowpoints, Chinese FMJ, E. German FMJ, etc. in the same mag and didn't like the results so I just use the Yugo fulltime in these ARs.

A few years after I built these, CProducts came out with their 7.62X39 mags. I bought a few 10 & 30 rd mags. These first gen. mags were junk but I did learn a couple things by trying to make them work.

The front to back slop in the magwell with these rifles really made a difference on dependability. When you push-pull on the bottom of the mag the tighter the fit, the better they ran. Side play didn't seem to matter much but front to back was a deal-breaker. Lucky for me I had used Superior Arms lower frames on two of them, they seem to have the tightest magwell fit, changed out the 3rd one and all are GTG.

I also noticed that when I tweeked the feed lips to get the mag to run 100% in one rifle, It might not be right for the other rifles. Weird, but thats the way it worked.

The latest gen of CProd mags pretty much just plug & play, if you have a tight magwell. I have had to do a minor tweek on the feed lips of a couple, no big deal. I should say too that the DPMS frankenmags have always been 100%, never had to mess with any of mine. I still pick them up when I can find them cheap.

With a good mil dot or range finding scope, 250 yds is no problem for the 7.62x39 yugo ammo thru a 20" AR and its very impressive at 100 yds.

I don't recommend these to anybody, but it seems like a lot of people who have shot mine end up with one or two. I think this is one of those things you buy just because you want it, then it grows on you and you keep it. I still have mine! :D Ken

[​IMG]