AR in .300 Win Mag

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by PSlatr, Jul 31, 2014.

1. PSlatr

PSlatr New Member

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or experience with AR platform in 300 win mag. Or if it's even possible with a AR10 lower.

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

With a "Standard " AR-10 lower and the dimensions of the mag well, .300 Win Mag would not readily fit. Also no mags are made for that combo. Then action size to accommodate feeding, extra time and ejecting the long cartridge and shells would require other dimensional changes. Short and Super Short Magnums like .300 WSM or .300 WSSM may be a possibility, but would also require new mags, bolt heads, springs , etc.

3. PSlatr

PSlatr New Member

Thank you. I was looking at the NEMO Arms variant and it got my wondering for one of my next builds. Thanks again

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

IIRC, Nemo is the only one making components large enough to accommodate the 300 Win. Mag. cartridge. you might want to check over their pricing though. they ain't cheap by a long shot.

plus, 300 Win. Mag. isn't the cheapest cartridge to shoot in factory ammo either. better have deep pockets if shooting factory ammo or learn to reload.

5. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

and,..and AR in 30-06

there are a few AR's in 30-06,..now one I saw On Sportsmans Ch. today during "Cam Edwards",..

6. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

When computers first became popular we had the dell dude. He always said dude get a dell.

In your case he would say Dude get a browning!

7. kctgb

kctgb New Member

If your interested in a 300 mag there is a custom job done on a Browning bar that uses a heavy barrel. Iv'e heard it is a pretty good rifle for shooting long distance. Don't ask me who does the custom job because I can't remember.

8. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

The AR Receiver is heavy to begin with and somewhat heavy and bulky if you have to carry it around hunting or moving for any distance! So the 300 Win Mag would be even more awkward and heavy. Personally I would not even want one!
    The 308 and 243 Cal. for example will not work on a standard AR-15 Receiver only the larger 308 manufactured receiver. So 300 Win Mag NOT!:)

9. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

10. PSlatr

PSlatr New Member

Yeah I was just poking around for thoughts and some ideas. I have a 308 in a Rem 700, and the 243 in savage mod 11. Both awesome rifles. I did just order a juggernaut tactical ar10 jig, so I'm sure something good will be built.