AR in .22LR

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by NGIB, Dec 7, 2010.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

My son wants to get an AR style rifle in .22LR. Since I know spit about long guns I thought I'd solicit some expert advice. I'm looking at the S&W M&P 15-22, Bud's has it for $422 right now. I know Ruger makes one as well that is just a tad pricier. I'm not really interested in a real AR with a dedicated upper as I want to keep the price to $500 or less. Any advice from owners is appreciated. Here's the one I'm looking at from Bud's:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_763/products_id/61690

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  2. DrJason

DrJason New Member

I have a buddy with one of the M&P's, he has had no problems with it......I believe there was just an article in American Rifleman reviewing a number of the "tactical" .22's, they said the M&P was the closest to an AR of the bunch.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/tactical-22-rifles/

(make sure to go thru the photo gallery for specifics on each rifle)

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

American Rifleman recently did a review of 5 or 6 dedicated tactical .22lr rifles. I can send it to you if you wish...just pm me if interested.

4. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

I have the Ruger which egonomicaly feels like an AR and is not restricted in Canada that is why I bought it. There are a few guys at our club that have the M&P that realy love them but they fall into the restricted section. I have shot them and like the way they feel, nice and light because of the polymer construction.If they were not restricted I would have one.
    F.K.

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Does he have any AR-15 rifles currently?

6. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

I'm running 2 of the S&W MP 15-22s - I would recommend them. They are accurate, fun copies of the AR. - I like them to the point of buying 1 then 2 mos later buying another one. :)

I see 44mag.com has extra 25 rd S&W mags for $16.49, not too bad a price! Also, anything you can mount on a real AR slips right on these.

Thats one lucky son ya got there dad! Ken

Sorry, almost forgot the gratuitous pictures! :D

[​IMG]

7. NGIB

NGIB New Member

He'll steal mine at some point...

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

A conversion for that AR upper you have is going to be cheaper than a full gun, but then that gives up your gun too, so nevermind. :p

9. NGIB

NGIB New Member

He just called me and said he'd be happy with the GSG (MP-5 style) .22 as well. Sure wish my Dad was as generous as I appear to be...

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Are you accepting applications for adoption?? :p

11. DrJason

DrJason New Member

Just did a GSG search out of curiosity....... couldn't help myself from posting this video :D;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_7ywoDaOFk]YouTube - Hotties shooting GSG´s[/ame]

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I think the M&P15-22 is an excellent choice but have him look at the Colt/Walther M4 .22LR too. He'll know which one he wants.

I narrowed it down to these two and chose the Colt because it looks more like a real M4, has metal receivers and look alike (but often non-functioning) items like the forward assist, BHO, dust cover, flash hider, etc. It's also the same weight as the M4 and has a 30rd mag instead of the S&W 25rd. Disadvantages are: harder to break down/clean, doesn't use an AR FCG, a pencil barrel, foreign made (Germany) and not as popular.

The S&W is much more popular, lighter and operates much like a real AR though doesn't have the same look and feel. It's usually less expensive and is made in the USA. Most of its disadvantages (at least in the basic model) to the Colt are completely missing items like the forward assist, dust cover, flash hider, etc. and the 25rd magazine.

I'm real happy with the Colt and got it for $450 in town, a decent price. That same day I could have gotten the Smith for $400. The Colt is very reliable and so is the Smith (I hear) now that both have got the kinks worked out of early production. I suspect I'd like the S&W just as well for a shooter, but just liked the look of the Colt and having the Colt rollmark even though it's actually a Walther.

The one pound lighter weight of the Smith might be an advantage for a boy if he's very young.

13. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I had posted a want ad on a local forum and last night I got a PM from a local FFL (in-home type) that he could get me a new S&W M&P 15-22 for $405 out the door. Seemed like a good deal so I ordered it this morning and I'll pick it up probably on Monday.

Based on everything I read and talks with some local rifle gurus, this looks like a great choice for my son. He can buy his own damned accessories!

14. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Phew, I was getting worried there for a minute. Glad to see you've come back around o your old self :p

Congrats on the M&P 15-22 BTW. From what I hear they are a load of fun to shoot.

15. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I picked it up Saturday morning and it's a spiffy little gun - my son is really happy. The cheap scope & bipod on it in the pic were on my AR when I bought it and I've since replaced both items so I'll just leave them if he wants them. I'm pretty impressed with this little toy myself and I may just get one for myself...

[​IMG]

16. Virginia58

Virginia58 Member Supporter

That's not a bad looking rifle. My son (23) and I built an AR in 5.56 last year and have had a blast tweaking and shooting.

We have talked about getting a conversion kit for .22lr, and they look like they run $150 more or less. After seeing some discussions about better accuaracy using a dedicated complete upper with 1:16 rate of twist, we were leaning towards either a Spikes or CMMG upper. However, those were pushing $500.

After seeing your S&W for about the same money, maybe a whole riffle is the ticket.

Thanks for sharing.