AR Hog hunt- big bore airgun style

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Tworr, May 5, 2010.

1. Tworr

Tworr New Member

I wanted to share my adventures this past weekend on a hog hunt with my brand new .458 Quackenbush air rifle. I bought it on Friday, scoped it on Saturday and killed the boar on Sunday.

I got into PCP(precharged pneumatics) airguns last year when I bought a .22 Korean made Sumarta capable of producing 50 to 70 foot pounds with a 21 or 32 grain pellet. That's 22 short ballistics and 100 yard shots on squirrels makes for great pest control.

Now I've moved up to the big boys and bought a .458 Quackenbush LA Outlaw air rifle capable of producing 500 foot pounds using 3000 psi of air. Be it powder or air, this gun produces .45Colt ballistics that has a proven track record for the last 100 years.

Here's what a .458 Quackenbush air rifle can do with a 265 grain BHD ammo at 38 yards on a 330 lbs. wild boar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was able to get close and shadow a large group of 15 to 20 for 75 yards until I was able to tree hop and get withing 30 yards of them. I ended up being pinned down as they moved all around me and getting within 20-25 yards of me at times for over an hour. There was an even larger boar than this one that I never could get a shot at. Half the group was positioned on top of a small mound blocking my view and my chance of approaching closer for a shot at the ones just behind them.

This one that I killed moved into view and I took a 38 yard shot. He went about 30 yards to lay up. I ended up pushing him another 30 yards. I was able to get within 10 yards to take a finishing shot. Then the fun began of trying to drag him out. That should be a sight since my friends came to help drag and filmed me trying to drag the hog by myself. I got about 5 yards. What a beast this hog was!!!

[​IMG]

BHD makes some DANDY BOOLITS!!!! I'm lucky enough that he lives in my town and he talked me into getting a big bore air rifle.

Trophy Photos - Big Bore Airgun Ammo

There are other photos on his website.

2. orangello

orangello New Member

Congratulations!

3. Tworr

Tworr New Member

Thank you!!

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Damn! You did that with an air rifle?? At 500 foot pounds, what kind of noise does that thing make when you fire it?

That is pretty damn impressive for an "air gun". I had no idea. :eek:

5. Tworr

Tworr New Member

It's pretty load and more of a boom than a crack from breaking the sound barrier.
    I had no idea either until I was selling a crossbow last year and a guy wanted to trade his PCP air gun and cash for it. I said PCP what?
    Once I read up on it, I had to have it.

It's the green beast. You only need some way of getting 3000 psi of compressed air and lead. Most people use scuba tanks or compressors able to do 3000psi. I went the hand pump route for now. It takes a little longer, but it travels well. I can get 3 good shots and a 4th finishing shot on a fill.
    It uses a lot more air than my .22 caliber where a hand pump was enough.
    I could get 50 shots with the .22 cal.
    If I was to recommend someone starting out and they wanted a .22 caliber the Crosman Marauder .22 cal has a 10 shot mag and a fully shrouded barrel for $460. The Hill Hand pump is $205 from Plinkguns.
    The Marauder does around 30 foot pounds and 50-75 shots on squirrels would be it's range.
    My big bore cost me $715 from Dennis Quackenbush and he usually makes around 50 a year. He holds a lottery once a year to get one of his guns.
    There are others out there making these big bores too. There's also the Korean 909s that very affordable and can be power tuned into a very respectable deer gun at 250-300 foot pound range.

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Wow, I had no idea air guns came in anything bigger than a .22. Thats awesome!

7. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Thats pretty impressive to do with a BB gun. Certainly a different method of hunting.

8. amoroque

amoroque New Member

yeah thats pretty cool. Never heard of big bore air guns either!

9. m72law

m72law New Member

OMG:eek:...thats to awesome!!...:D

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

NIZE piggy! And a very nice rifle.

FWIW, serious power air guns have been around for a LONG time- Banned as an instrument of war at one time in Europe- quiet, deadly repeater in the era of single shot smoothbores.

This is a link to story about the airgun carried on the Lewis & Clark expedition: New Page 1

11. suprdave

suprdave New Member

Congrats fellow Arkansan! Where did you get that hog?

12. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

That is WAY cool. And I think you educated a few people here today with that article. I know I was anyway. Thanks much for the post.

13. Tworr

Tworr New Member

Thank you!! I might just become a little part of Arkansas history in helping get these air guns recognized and on the books for deer hunting.

Thank you all for the support!!

This hog could be the proof needed to finally open the eyes of people in Arkansas and make it accepted for us to hunt with bigbore airguns. When these guns are producing the ballistics of a .45Colt that has been proven to take large animals through out history, they can't keep calling it a fluke.

We can show them large animals killed in other states and on safari hunts in Africa, but until you see the toughest thing that we have in our area killed my these air guns, they can't put it into perspective.
    [​IMG]

It doesn't get much tougher than a 330 pound walking tank. Expect for the 400 pound one that I couldn't get a shot on.
    It was HUGE!!!!

Speaking of perspective. There's no forced perspective here of the hog being way out in front of me. I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs.and standing in front of it. I also purposely made sure the hog was touching me in the other photo to show that there wasn't any camera trickery going on.

[​IMG]

Suprdave - We were in Columbia County.

Last edited: May 8, 2010
  14. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

That's amazing! I had previously considered such kills before as a trick, but now see them as a viable alternative to conventional firearms. Not that I'm going to rush out & buy 1, just I have more respect for them now.

15. BlackHogDown

BlackHogDown New Member

Yes there were Three other hogs killed that day with air guns.
    None as big as Tworr's.
    They ranged from approximately 90-200+ pounds.
    One shot kills on those.
    Two were complete pass threw and I believe the other was recovered on the far side.
    I just received a email from a friend in Texas who has taken a 320 pound boar.
    I believe Tworr has set a new standard and expect people to now have the confidence to go after the big one.
    Since I'm the guy that designs and casts bullets for these rifles I believe that bullet design has something to do with it.
    Penetration is important along with wound channel.
    All the hogs mentioned above were taken with one of my bullets except one.
    Am I bragging?
    Well thats not my intention but I am very proud of how it all went.
    Many thanks to the hunters that delivered the lead.

Regards BHD

16. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Is an air rifle regulated by the same laws as a regular firearm? I have heard that you can purchase black powder weapons from across state lines. Is that true? Is that also the case with this type of rifle? Are they regulated at all?

I saw a package deal on a black powder revolver in Las Vegas. It was $265 for a complete shooting kit. It looked like a good deal. But I wasn't sure about the legality of purchasing from a state that I don't live in. So I just passed it up. Too bad it had a powder measure, bullets, patches, everything needed to get started.

If I saw something like this rifle in my travels I might think about buying one.

17. BlackHogDown

BlackHogDown New Member

They are not regulated like firearms.

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  18. orangello

orangello New Member

I recently ordered a blackpowder pistol (single shot) from the manufacturer without the need for an FFL or any funny shipping. As far as this non-lawyer can tell, the BlackPowder stuff is considered not a firearm. Traditions Performance Firearms I'm pretty sure this crossed the stateline.

19. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

BHD, have a friend that is a prof. of veterinary medicine- and an avid hunter. His theory is that you want TWO holes- one to let air in, one to let blood out. Penetration! Looks like some well designed bullets, Kudos, sir.

20. BlackHogDown

BlackHogDown New Member

Thank you sir.
    We were hunting these hogs on the ground and Tworr had a hard angling shot.
    The first shot got him and after wrecking the spine it stopped.
    The second shot was a broad side finish shot ....the bullet was not recovered.

I feel that if your hunting from a elevated stand your going to want a drain plug on the far and low side.
    Two holes are far better than one.
    I agree totally with your friend.

This picture shows how "thick" he was.
    [​IMG]