Ar handguards

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by mtmagwhenindout, Apr 16, 2012.

1. mtmagwhenindout

mtmagwhenindout New Member

I searched for threads on the pri gen iii handguards and it didn't find anything I have a dpms 3g1 with a 18 inch barrel and low pro gas block in the way and I really like the look of the natural finish of the 12 in gen iii handguard can anyone tell me anything about it

2. mtmagwhenindout

3. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

A google search might turn up a review.

4. mtmagwhenindout

I had read that one review already I guess what I am asking does any one on this forum have one? Do you like it? Would you recommend it? Was it easy to install? I am not worried about how much it cost believe it or not my wife don't care how much I spend until I really start acting stupid I have a dpms lower already upper is on the way that way it will match but I want to trick it out I'm going to order a comp trigger also I want this one to be a tack driver and look good this is going to be my turkey shoot contest rifle

5. MrPEZO

MrPEZO New Member

Magpul Moe here.

6. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Honestly at that price point, I don't think you will run into too many people with them. I personally have no experience with them, sorry.

What kind of barrel did you get on your upper? What kind of shooting are you planning on doing with your build? What ranges do you plan to shoot?
    What kind of ammo are you planning on using?

Just trying to get a better idea of what you need......

7. mtmagwhenindout

18 in barrel 1/8 twist have not decided on ammo yet whichever makes the tightest grouping mostly range like turkey shoot offs out to 500 meters going to put a comp trigger to but ain't decided what brand read bad reviews on the timmney drop in comp trigger

8. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

The 3g is a practical, dynamic shooting type competition setup. Precision shoots should be pretty easy with it. Doesn't already come with a modified trigger? Id just break in the barrel with some plinking ammo and then get some match grade ammo and find out which works best with your rifle. That's a nice gun iirc. Shoot your gun first. Figure out what works for you, and what doesn't before modifying anything. Doesn't make any sense buying DPMS's top of the line gun and modifying it before you even shoot it.

Btw you should start researching some glass. If your gonna spend some money, spend it on some good glass. Probably anywhere between 300 to 3000 if you get serious. That'll make more of a difference than some silly carbon fiber handguards.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  9. mtmagwhenindout

I already had the dpms lower which came complete it had a two stage trigger in it but it don't feel very crisp maybe after I send some rounds down range it will loosen up but I have read some real good reviews on the geissele and the jewel both

10. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

I'm curious to here back on the DPMS trigger.

My one Giessele has left me wanting one in every AR. It happens to be their SD3G which I thinnk would work well for your stated use.

11. mtmagwhenindout

I have heard nothing but good things bout that trigger can u recommend some glass with mil dots for under 600 for what I'm going to be doing

12. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Just read the specs on the 3G!. That thing has a JP handguard and JP adjustable trigger.

JP is an awesome company, is there any reason why you don't like those two things?

13. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I'd recommend doing a little research and trying to figure out exactly what you need.

I would personally like some magnification for 500 yards. Some people can do it with iron sights (I can't my eyesight isn't that good). Its kind of hard to recommend anything for you. An Eotech/Aimpoint/Red dot with a magnifier would get you there, but RDS's aren't really good for shooting for groups, they excel at shorter ranges. A 3-9x is would be adequate but would suck for close quarters shooting. 4-16x would be great for 500 yards, but be big and heavy and really suck for short distances. Its hard to say. You will have to make some decisions and compromises. At 500 bucks, you can take a look at the nikon 556 series with a burris pepr mount. Its a 1-4x, read nothing but good reviews about it. Just be careful which reticle you choose.

14. mtmagwhenindout

No not really don't care for the look of the handguard though its coming with a black one also and I am wanting a coyote brown where it will match my stock and pistol grip

15. mtmagwhenindout

No as in there is no reason I don't like them

16. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Well you can always take them off and sell them, I'm sure a lot of people would love to have a JP handguard....I just am not sure if it takes a proprietary nut, that may complicate removing them and putting new ones on. You might have to look into that.

Troy make a nice FDE light Alpha modular handguard if you are interested.

17. mtmagwhenindout

Yea the Troy battle tall or extreme was my second choice after pri

18. mtmagwhenindout

Decided against the 3g1 from dpms I ended up putting a geissele national match trigger in the lower went with the pri gen 3 handguards got the rifle length gas tube and a dpms flat top upper thinking about going with a Krieger barrel didn't want to spend quite that bit on this thing but would like a .5 Moa Suggestions

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

wilson barrels are very good so are white oak. you gotta go through someone like rra for wilson i think white oak you can order direct