AR Gun Smith needed

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Back40Bob, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Back40Bob

Back40Bob New Member

Gang,

can anybody recommend a good gun smith in the eagle colorado area? (Glenwood Springs, Vail, Leadville, Summit Country)

Thanks in advance,

Bob

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

What is the problem?

The AR platform is not that hard to work on, or to trouble shoot. Perhaps you could fix the issue yourself??

JD

3. Back40Bob

Back40Bob New Member

I have a problem where the upper won't open because the bolt will not seat completly. I suspect this is because the reciever is not aligned with the gas tube.

So, i need to remove the gas tube so i can seat the bolt and then sepparate the upper and lower.

I am handy but i don't want to mess up anything worse t han it already is.

On another post, somebody suggested that removing the gas tube is not difficult and actually posted a diagram of which pins to remove.

Thoughts?

4. iansturgill

iansturgill New Member

your problem

have you had your stock off recently, If the buffer tube is replaced but does not capture the buffer stop in its recess, then you will have this problem, your best bet is to take the buffer off again and check every part for burs, if the carrier slammed against the buffer retainer body, then it is likely out of round and scarred up, ask me how I know...:rolleyes:, hope this helps, Ian

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

B40B - removing the gas tube is not difficult, but your concern is warranted since this is your first time.

I don't understand your description though. Can you post a photo or two?

The bolt doesn't seat completely forward?? Or it is hung up on the rear and won't allow it to open.

I have seen several AR's where it is hung up on the rear and as described above, you can have problems with your buffer and spring.

I have yet to see an AR where the bolt is too far forward not allowing the AR to be opened. That is a new one by me....

Some pictures sure would help my friend...

JD

6. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

I think what he's saying is the gas tube is bent, causing a misalignment between the gas tube and gas key, thus not allowing the bolt to move fully forward. Or at least that's what I got out of it.

A buddy of mine is an armorer for the Police Department of the town I live in, and this happened to another officers rifle because she had too much oil on the bolt.

-Fred

7. Back40Bob

Back40Bob New Member

The actual problem is that the bolt will not seat forward enough. As i said, i think the reciever is not aligned with the gas tube thus preventing the bolt from seating.

The gun is at my ranch in Colorado and i'm in Florida. I will be out there next week and will post some pictures then.

Thank you for input so far.

Bob