AR grip Question

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by texaswoodworker, Sep 28, 2012.

1. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

AR furniture Question

Well, I'm getting ready to order the furniture I need for my AR project. :D
    The rifle is going to be all Magpul MOE, (a good friend already gave me the middie handguard) but I have a few questions.

I am trying to decide on the grip. and I'm stuck between two choices. The Magpul MOE, and the Magpul MIAD.

Is the MIAD worth the extra money (I'll have the MOE anyway because I'm buying a kit), or would I be better off just going with the standard MOE? (Note: I have big hands, just thought I'd through that in incase that info was needed. :))

Also, My AR is going to be a middie, and like I said, already have the handguard. Would this carbine kit work with it? I thought I'd ask since it would save me a little money plus I'd have a extra carbine handguard for future builds. :D

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/MGMOEKITDE.aspx

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  2. JonM

JonM Moderator

i like the miad and the bcm gunfighter mod 0

ive got both and they are both great grips.

3. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I like the MOE+.

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I forget which exact one I got, but I got the one that will hold an additional bolt and firing pin. I like that idea as opposed to their other offerings.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

the magpul moe miad has inserts for that

6. seanwhite75154

seanwhite75154 New Member

I have the MAID on mine. I think it is the better of the two. I upgraded from the MOE to it.

7. texaswoodworker

Ok, I think I'll go with the MIAD then. :D

How about the other question. Will that carbine stock kit (minus the handguard) work perfectly well on a middie AR? (yes, I am a newby to ARs. :()

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

which carbine stock kit??

9. texaswoodworker

there's a link to it in my original post. Never mind though. I think I figured it out. I'm guessing that when they said carbine, it was referring to the hand guard, and the fact that the stock is adjustable.
    I also found just the stock and buffer tube assembly, and it's only $60 (it's on backorder, but I don't mind waiting), so I'm going to get it instead.

Thanks for the help everyone.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

just make sure you get the milspec tube, if you ever goota buttstroke a fool invading your home its less likely to break than a commercial buffer tube. make sure the castle nut has cutouts for staking not all do, no cutout makes proper staking a little harder.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  11. texaswoodworker

LMAO!

Yes, I'm going with milspec. Why do they even make commercial if milspec is stronger?

What is stalking? :eek:

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

Staking is using a punchand hammer to bend a piece of the endplate into the staking cutout or much more difficult bending both a small chunk of the castle nut and cut into each other. Its done after you have it all torqued correctly and in place and your sure its all functioning.

It prevents the castle nut from backing out. If the nut comes loose and they do, your whole gun comes apart explosively. Ive seen it happen on commercial elcheapo ar15 on the range.

I use an old punch ground down to make it like a small chisel. A small tap and a scootch of metal blocks the nut from turning without considerable effort and a castle nut wrench.

If someone doesnt beat me to it ill post pics and a link to vid of how its done tommorrow afternoon. Cant cut and paste on the nook :/

13. texaswoodworker

Awesome, thanks.

14. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

+1 MOE plus. I like it better than my miad.

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

here is a deent video with some good info on the back end of the carbine

at one point they talk about torquing it. its a good idea NOT to use the pipe on the wrench to tighten since the threads on the tube and castle nut arent that strong and you can easily warp your lower by lots of over torque like he did. thats about the only negative. the proper torque for a castle nut is 40 inch pounds. he went well into the danger zone of over torquing which is why he had a hard time getting the original end plate to come off and had to use a screw driver. he likely warped the receiver by his pipe on the wrench over torquing.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDJ8t10nLA0[/ame]

16. texaswoodworker

Why do you like it better? Does it just fit your hand better, or is there another reason?

Just trying to get the pros and cons of both of them. :D

Thanks, that made it a lot clearer. I guess I'll have to buy that wrench too. I'll order it when I order the stock. Is that the only thing that needs stalking?

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

the gaskey on the bolt carrier must be staked but that should already be done if you have a quality bcg. one of the reasons i stick with bcm carriers and bolts is because its all done right from the get go. i dont have to worry about it. if you cant get one online let me know and i can hop over to midwest industries and grab one off their wall at their store and mail it to ya

18. texaswoodworker

I plan on getting one of BCMs auto bcgs. :D Their site say they're in stock, but it will be a few months before I order one. Hopefully, I can find one a little cheaper. They went up in price since the last time I checked. If they run out by then, I'll let you know.

Thanks.

19. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I'm not real fond of the hard cheapo plastic feel on the MOE grips. MOE plus has the grippy rubber feel which feels better but I like my hogue grips a lot better. Better feels overall for me

20. texaswoodworker

Well, I place my order with DSG Arms today. The stock and stock wrench are both on back order, so I have no idea when I'll actually get it. I went ahead and got the MOE+ grip. It looked comfy, and I do plan on doing more builds, so I'll try the MIAD next. :D