AR Goodies on AK's

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by ShotgunPrincess, May 23, 2007.

1. ShotgunPrincess

ShotgunPrincess New Member

I personally like to update and enhance my AK's with AR CARstocks, vertical grips, rails, etc.. I can better suit my needs with these things. Some people are AK "purist", and think it is awfull to put AR "junk" on an AK. What's your opinion?

2. phoenixosiris

phoenixosiris New Member

i agree

i'm with you all the way. i'm not a "collector", these things are tools with a specific purpose. on both my wasr-10 and mak-90 i have collapsible stocks, u.t.g. quad-rail forends, fab defense combat grips, m6x light/laser combos, telescopic bipods, g2 trigger groups.......... you get the picture. anyway, i say to each their own, with 100,000,000 ak's on the planet (thank god) nobody needs to worry about "preserving" them. the only exception being that we all need to stand up and resist the tide of tyranny that would like to see us all disarmed and therefore more easily enslaved. long live the constitution, dont ****in' tread on me!

3. ranger_sxt

ranger_sxt New Member

While I am not a purist, most of the after-market stuff for an AK is junk. Pure Crap. AR collapsing stocks just plain look silly, and unless you get an ACE folder, miss 90% of the need for a collapsing stock.

Vertical foregrips get in the way of reloading, unless you are using 20 round magazines.

This is a good list of after-market AK stuff that doesn't suck too much.

4. yoda185

yoda185 New Member

no purist here either but do think the current trend to rail cancer on everything is ludicrous. most things quadrail rigged to a rifle are useless frill. i do like collapsible m4 stocks tho so you can adjust for body armor or diferent size shooters length of pull. for an ak a scope is worthless unless your gonna put on night optic since you are talking 5 moa at best. i tend to like attaching one small piece of rail to the right side of the foreend just to mount a surefire light. vertical forward grips are unnatural feeling trash on any rifle.

5. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

vertical foregrips were built into many AK's at the factory to provide a better grip during full auto firing. I don't have a single FA firearm, so I doubt I will be buying a grip.

6. Righteous

Righteous New Member

if ya wanna AR then buy one, I like Ak's to be stock

7. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

yeah, I'm keeping my new rpk stock, for the most part. I will only be changing out the stock AK-style muzzle brake for an AR-style one.

8. G21.45

G21.45 New Member

Well, that certainly needed to be said! ;)

9. JWIII

JWIII New Member

I've seen the Tapco's; ehhh, they're ok. But, I really like what Command Arms has to offer.

I tried to find a pic on the net w/ no luck. I found this in Special Weapons for Military & Police "Aug/Sept 2008 Issue."

Sorry for the poor pic.

[​IMG]

10. G21.45

G21.45 New Member

:eek: ARGH! ROONEY GUN ALERT! ROONEY GUN ALERT! :p

11. Duck

Duck New Member

I like both. My AK has some of the "junk" that was mentioned above (Tapco collapsible stock, rails, vertical front grip) and I like it. The collapsible stock lets me get the perfect fit, the front grip folds out of the way and doesn't get in the way of reloading, and I'm not going to hang the kitchen sink off of the rails. The grip just mounts on the bottom rail, so I can take it off if I want.

12. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

I think you should get an AR! Putting AR "junk" on an AK is like putting perfume on a pig...:)

13. G21.45

G21.45 New Member

:p 'Perfume on a pig!' Another good one! That's twice, in the past two days, you've come up with another one of your memorable lines, RL. ;)

14. Ermac

Ermac New Member

AKs are best with wooden furniture.

15. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

It reminds me of these kids that put spoilers and 6" exhaust tips on their 4 cylinder Honda Civics