AR Furniture and Optics

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by MikeJK, May 17, 2012.

1. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

I have not been very nice in the past when it comes to discussing certain options in regards to AR accessories.

I'm curious as to why someone would take off perfectly functional OE furniture in exchange for heavier less functional lower quality furniture or optics. Or spend more on lower quality products in lue of cheaper higher quality ones. Then stack item on top of item until they have wires and things poking out every which way.

With all the info out there what is the attraction?

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Ignorance or maybe unconsciousness?

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

i think its the same reason people listen to country or rap. no accounting for taste :)

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I think a lot of it is what they see in the gun rags. The cool factor. We all browse through magazines and some of us get hooked by the "latest great thing". Hopefully it's a sickness that can be outgrown in time.

5. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I think people read too much and don't think enough.

6. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Have you looked at who the citizens elect to public office and you're not sure we're in a nation of short bus riders?

7. bigrock44

bigrock44 New Member

I have several straight forward AR15 builds. I am not into making it too heavy or bulky just in case TSHTF and I have to actually play Rambo. Some people will always add "what's hot" at the moment even if it won't have any practical application to them. But I guess what's overkill to one person is perfect to someone else.

8. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Good points. More often than not the ones piling on the accessories are the ones shopping at the LAS (local airsoft store). Where do they get the idea that stuff is cool?

9. Fixer

Fixer New Member

maybe because my $2,000 Leupold scope will crack and break if tossed into the air and dropped is still 100X better than an aimpoint or trijicon that cost $900 but can be dropped from a helecopter and still work.

your idea of what is needed and "good" isnt everyones idea.

10. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Maybe someone doesnt like the feel of OE furniture ? I dont like the factory handguard period they are not comfortable , I do like the MOE hanguard its more comfortable and has the ability to add a rail if needed . I will tell you this if you are more comfortable with a grip or handguard , you will have more confidence in your shooting . confident shooting is always better than no confidence and uncomfortable shooting and you will always have higher scores in your shooting with more confidence

11. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

I agree that too many people pile on a bunch of stuff that is simply not needed. But you know what, it's their rifle and their money down the drain so if it makes them feel more like a bada$$ i really don't care

12. frostyone

frostyone New Member

I don't believe that is what he is talking about. A magnified optic can be a better choice for certain people depending on the application. I think he is referring to things like buying a cheap airsoft quad rail for $50 when you can buy a Magpul MOE for $35 and just add rail sections. Or why spend $100 on some knock off red dot when primary arms makes a red dot with a great warranty for $90.

My first AR had enough cheap knock off crap that worked ok but I would have never trusted my life to. I went through multiple red dots before finding 1 that would hold zero. I was pretty broke at the time and didn't know any better. As I got online and started reading I decided that this AR would have no cheap junk. I didn't want to have to wonder if things were gonna work.

I sold the first AR. My current AR will never leave.

13. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Come on man. Don't let your emotions get the best of you. You're reading into my posts in order to justify some snide remark or to attempt to prove me wrong. Just calm down and read. Don't insert meaning.

I agree. I stopped shooting my DD after adding a ACS-L. Something as simple as a stock made a big difference. If not functional mental. Either way...

^This. You are correct. Thank you for clearing that up.

14. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

When I started crunching the numbers to buy my first AR, I looked at a couple at the local gun stores, but the wide variety didn't leave me feeling warm and fuzzy, so I went online, and found this forum. Yeah, I looked at many other forums, but most were almost shills for their sponsors, and the mods would literally lock a topic because someone didn't 'use the search function', or, in the most bizarre instance, someone went in, asking questions for guidance on what to build, and the mod locked the damn topic and told the poor guy to come back after he had built his rifle.
    That was retarded.
    So...I came here, read a bunch, asked a TON of questions, and built my AR.
    I currently run Magpul on it, with BUIS form Magpul, with a Primary Arms RDS on it. I have the magnifier, 6X, stuck in my drawer. I didn't find it conducive to my shooting.
    Currently saving nickels and dimes to buy my next RDS, and thinking about holographic for it. I know I'll drop several hundred on it, but I look forward to it, but that will be months down the road, as I have some things going on that take priority over my getting a new toy for my toy.
    I may go dissipator look on it. I like that style. But that is really about all the more I can think of wanting to do to it. I like it clean and uncluttered.

15. Fixer

Fixer New Member

Listen. You need to stop reading my post with hate in them. There is none. I have many people walk up to me at the range and ask why I use crap on my rifle...I need to look for an Aimpoint...whats that crazy looking cheap stock? I have a what I consider better on my rifles.

Once again..in yet another post of yours I am responded as asked to... lets look at your OP...

16. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Dude others can see what is going on here. It's not just me. Just stop. We don't need another, well, I'm sure most of the guys here can figure out the members name.

You mention Travis Haley. He does run the equipment attached to his AR. He did as a gov employee and does as an instructor. I guess he should add, re zero, then remove gear according to when and where he is shooting at that moment in time. Makes sense.

Airsoft was mentioned because that is where some people get there gear they use on real firearms. I have nothing against kids or adults playing airsoft. The $ I spent on that RMR was intended to be used to start airsoft. I think if done right it can be a great training tool.

Are you denying that a Magpul MOE is of better quality than UTG stuff? That's not opinion its fact/ common knowledge to most.

Your first sentence says a lot of why you are so defensive. You can use whatever gear you want. I could care less but if someone asks the all to familiar "whats a good..." I'm going to shoot them straight regardless of what I have on my ARs. I just happen to not like to spend money on excessive "junk". I also find it a disservice to recommend parts of known low quality. Sense when was weight subjective when comparing two or more items. You will always have heavier and lighter. You can't really argue w/ the scale.

Last edited: May 18, 2012