AR for southpaw

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by grayhorse, Jun 4, 2011.

1. grayhorse

grayhorse New Member

Planning to order a Stag 3L, any ideas, suggestions, advice, rude comments, smart a$$ remarks? On a budget so please don't over do the accessory bit.

2. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I hear good things about Stag from a guy I trust.

I always like to know how much someone is planning on spending. It makes it easier to give advice in their price range.

3. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Get some iron sights and shoot it ... a lot! Enjoy ;)

4. jgand72

jgand72 New Member

I'm a southpaw as well, but I didn't get a lefty model. But I did recently purchase a Stag Model 2. About 700 rounds through it so far with no problems.

5. grayhorse

grayhorse New Member

I shot a right hander (10" barrel and entry stock) last weekend. It was pretty distracting to have the brass bouncing off my ear muffs. I switched to plugs and that was better, but louder. I have found left hand models to be much better for me in bolt rifles and shotguns, no reason not to have a souphpaw ar, right? I'm probably going for a red dot on this instead of iron, my tired eyes don't pick up the iron real well in most cases.
    GH

6. jgand72

jgand72 New Member

I really haven't had any problems with brass hitting me.

It is annoying to shoot a righty bolt action though.

7. grayhorse

grayhorse New Member

Not sure if it was the short stock, my stance, form whatever. But it was sure as heck hitting the muff on my right ear virtually every shot.

8. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I'm a south paw and I've learned to use just about every firearms platform with proficiency. Except Bolt (especially long) Action. ;) It does take practice, but the AR-15 is one of the easiest I've ever adapted to.

I use an over-sized charging handle latch, an ambi might be nice? But not necessary in the least An ambi mag release might be pretty helpful too, other than that, everything is easily doable for a lefty with a completely right-handed set up.

Just shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot. . . .

To make better use of time and ammo: Load 10 mags with 10 rds/mag, or whatever you

9. WDB

WDB New Member

I shoot left as well, I've not heard anything but good about Stag. Been thinking about building my next with there lefty in .308. I hunted for years with a right bolt then a right semi auto then purchased a left bolt. I can't say it helped my hunting skill but it was huge when at the range. My next AR will be left hand eject, the ones I own have ambi controls but the ejected brass crosses my line of sight, got use to it over the years but how nice would it be to have that issuue gone.

Go forward in this mission and report back before I spend my hard erned cash.

10. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Really?!?!? I've never heard of that one? I can't imagine how this would happen, unless you're using a parallax free optic with both eyes open and you are really far back from it, but if you say so. . .

11. grayhorse

grayhorse New Member

yes i already said so! short entry stock, 1x scope (lucid) and brass pinging off the muffs every damn shot

12. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Sounds like you need to tune your AR and your attitude. Heres a chart to help out w/ the AR. Good luck w/ the other.
    AR15CHATTERBOX.COM • View topic - Ejection pattern graph

13. grayhorse

grayhorse New Member

sorry, but this last line kind of rubbed me the wrong way. if i say so? duh i already did

14. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Awwwww, did I hurt your feelers. . . .:(

Did it hurt a wee bit when that hot brass hit your little ear muff?

I was only speculating as to why you were having problems guy, I'm a lefty and I've never been hit, obviously some folks are bothered by it and it results from being too close to the port. :rolleyes:

15. grayhorse

grayhorse New Member

no it didn't hurt, it was just a distraction. As mentioned it is a short stock and I was apparently too close. I will endeavor to improve my form. and no it takes more than an ignorant remark to hurt my feelers, don't worry about that.