AR for M1 Trade?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by CaseyChadwell, Oct 28, 2010.

1. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

I have a opportunity to trade my Olympic Arms lower/Double Star Upper AR-15 (5.56) for a 1950's Springfield M1 Garand rifle. I would say the rifle is in 85% condition. There are some scratches on the stock of course and the barrel appears to be in good condition. The shop did check the bore and said it is well within specs. What say you all? Should I make the trade. P.S. My AR does have a Aimpoint CompM2 mounted on it.

Fill me in on your thoughts everyone.

2. Hawg

Hawg New Member

I'd much rather have the Garand but that's just me.

3. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

That is what I am thinking. Plus, I would be able to do some fun deer hunting this year and not have to worry about head shots only with the .223. I think I am definitely going to do this.

Another thing, when I find what I really want (Mini 14 Match) I will have better luck trading the Garand for the Mini without any boot.

How will the Garand do with firing hunting bullets? I'm talking about ballistic tips and something like Fusion or some kind of soft point ammo.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I can't answer this in a fair manner, but I'll answer truthfully. I do not care for the AR platform, never have. I love the M1 and M14 rifles. They are proven battle rifles.

So, in my very biased (but truthful ;)) opinion go for the M1.

5. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

It is not, by any means, that I do not care for the AR platform. I feel that it is a great weapon and is more than capable of taking any critter, two or four legged, in my area. The reason I am considering this so much is because I was wanting to get a mini to accurize or a match model to tinker with. My AR shoots very well with cheap ammo, but it kind of gets boring to go out and shoot what you are looking at through the scope at 100 yards. The Garand is a beautiful rifle, one of the 'purtiest' ever made in my opinion, and has no way to mount a scope (that I know of). I think that it will be better for me because I do hunt as much as possible and the round is a bit better than the .223 will be.

Does anyone have any info on hunting ammo out of a Garand?

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I built my AR from scratch....I wouldn't trade it for anything. I'd build an M1 before trading.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  7. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Blasphemy!!! :eek: ;)

You will need to be VERY careful with what you feed into a Garand. And that's all I have to say, about that. :cool:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  8. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

I knew I would get some grief for that statement about the mini!:)

Is there a reason why you won't go into more detail about the hunting ammo in the Garand? I really would like to know if it is going to be A) safe for me and B) Safe for the rifle?

9. Highpower

Highpower New Member

LOL! You have to be an old phart to understand the reverence in which we hold the M1. Just funnin ya..... :p
    Yes there is a reason. It's called a can of worms. Something I don't wish to open here or anywhere else. It is often a hotly debated subject. You have been warned. :D

Let me google that for you

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

well the m16 series has been in active service disposing of america's enemies successfully across the globe for longer than the m1 and m14 combined

11. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

The M1 Garand was designed to work with M2 ball. Commercial .30-06 is not M2 spec.

Rather than bore you with details, and open a "yes you can!, no you can't!" debate, suffice it to say that the operating pressures of M2 and Commercial '06 are not the same.

Get a Schuster adjustable gas plug for your Garand if you want to fire commercial '06. They are available from Brownells.

And I like Mini 14's a LOT.

12. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

And, our very own WJKuleck is a world famous Garand guy. If he sees this thread, perhaps he will jump in.

13. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

Can you buy the Garand outright?

14. fixxer

fixxer New Member

Got Rock-ola???

Hey look, if you got a "Rock-ola" stamped M1 Garand, I have the Mini-14 Target variation and it is flawless... We could do some horse tradin' then! I bought the compensated, stainless Mini-14 Target mostly for collecting purposes since they were so hard to get ahold of for a decent price. I've put less than 300 rounds through it for sure. The only down side to this gun is adjusting the compensator if you change ammo grain. I don't know why but the irony of the Rock-ola has me fascinated. They're not the most coveted of M1's but I want one! The rest of the details then please? You got the manufacturer on this Garand?

15. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Rock-Ola made M1 Carbines, not M1 Garands.

16. fixxer

fixxer New Member

OH!:eek: You're right. Sorry bout that. I saw M1 and got excited... Oops. Well, good luck with the Garand. Isn't that when they invented the M1 thumb too? LOL Ouch!

17. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

No sweat! I just got rid of my Saginaw-SG. I have one Carbine left, but it was sporterized long, long ago. Sits in a very nice walnut Bishop Mannlicher stock.

I miss the days of $99 Carbines.

18. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

Ok...I did it! I am now the proud owner of a Springfield M1 Garand. I only got to shoot it 16 times today because like a moron I I only bought 16 shells (not the smartest thing I've done). However, those 16 rounds I fired today was exhilarating. I absolutely loved it. It is a wonderful experience! It was my first time firing one, and it was a bit intimidating, but after the first round, it was nothing short of wonderful.

Just thought I would fill everyone in on what I ended up doing! It is the best birthday present I ever got myself.

19. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Ok lets fix this. You shot 16 rounds. Each round was a cartridge. Reading the rest, you better peel the draws off. I'm not a big M1 fan, M14 either, but glad your happy!!

20. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

Peel the draws off?????