AR built!

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by TheDaggle, Jun 26, 2010.

1. TheDaggle

TheDaggle New Member

Thanks, guys, I couldn't have done it without you!
    Picture 97.jpg

Now I just need to get that rail on there and get some decent glass......

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I can see this is something I'll have to tackle, soon!! :D

Nicely Done!! :D

3. spyderfan

spyderfan New Member

Nice I am thinking about building a AR how hard was it what all did you put on it.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congratulations Daggle. Well done. :cool:

5. TheDaggle

TheDaggle New Member

Not too hard at all. It took me about 2 hours altogether to assemble the lower, the upper came complete from Del-Ton. It probably would have gone even quicker, except the wireless connection to my dad's garage sucked, so it took a really long time for the pictures to load in JD's build guide (nod to JD).

Here's what I'm running (for now):

Del-Ton Flat top upper
    Del-Ton Bolt carrier group
    Lauer Custom Weaponry lower receiver
    Rock River lower parts kit
    Rock River 2-stage National Match trigger
    Del-Ton 20 inch barrel 1:9 twist
    Ergo grip
    6-position collapsible stock
    A2 front sight
    NCstar flip-up rear sight
    Magpul 10/30 pmags
    TruGlo red dot sight ($40, will do until gun fund replenishes)

And I have a Yankee Hill Machine lightweight free floating four rail that's waiting for me to figure out how I'm gonna get the pins out, but that's another thread altogether...

6. spyderfan

spyderfan New Member

7. TheDaggle

TheDaggle New Member

Thanks, everyone! Should be able to post a range report tomorrow or monday.

8. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I just bought my stripped lower and ordered the other parts. I am getting really excited to see yours! Great job. Range report soon to follow, I assume?

9. TheDaggle

TheDaggle New Member

On it's way, sir, on it's way ;).

10. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Good job on that!

11. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

Nice looking SUR you got there Daggle...

I hate you for posting that del-ton link,, not I am plotting another built... Like any man really needs 4 ar's :confused: They get addicting

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

*clapping*

Well Done Daggle! I am proud of you and I am happy to have been of any assistance in your securing your first of what, I am sure, will be a couple of AR's.

Well done sir.

Now, for those tuning in late, how would you now classify your understanding of this "complex" weapon system having built your own lower??

JD

13. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Very nice, Daggle. Very nice indeed. *jealous*

I can't wait to see the range report you promised. :D

14. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

15. TheDaggle

TheDaggle New Member

I was pleasantly surprised by the simplicity of it, actually. The majority of the parts were essentially 'drop-in-and-pin-in-place'. The only part that gave me any trouble was the front take-down pin detent. I was lucky enough that when it DID shoot out, it ricocheted off several conveniently located fixtures and landed back on the foam mat in front of me. After that I hung a towel in front of it ;).
    My upper came assembled, but I've pulled apart what I can, and it's even simpler than the lower. Aside from the troublesome sight post pins, the upper can be taken down to parts and re-assembled in a minute or two.
    Through the entire build, I only used 4 roll pin punches, 1 screwdriver, and a pair of vicegrips.
    After all is said and done, I am VERY happy with my new rifle, and VERY glad I chose to build the lower myself. It was a lot of fun to do, a great learning experience, and the satisfaction of a job well done is much better than simply making a purchase!
    The only downside to the whole process is that I can't afford to do it again right away :D!

16. TheDaggle

TheDaggle New Member

Thanks, and I WOULD apologize, but I enticed myself to build another already too, so we're even :p
    Range report as promised, sir!

17. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

Nice job at the range for yer first time out with her !!!

How is the fit and finish on the del-ton parts?? I can't decide wether to go with the 16" dissipator or the 20" like you have :confused:

18. TheDaggle

TheDaggle New Member

As Glass said, Del-Ton is very nice. I haven't built, owned, or even shot anything else, so I don't really have any frame of reference, but I'm very happy with my Del-Ton parts, for what that's worth. They seem to be tight, solid pieces.
    The Del-Ton upper has a TINY amount of play between it and the LWC (the company that makes DuraCoat) lower, but not anything that would cause a problem, probably a fraction of a millimeter. You can feel the slightest movement if you jerk on them, but they're solid in place when shooting.
    If you're considering the 20" upper, I will say that the barrel is pretty heavy (but not unbearable), and I believe they only come in 1:9.

19. moshpit

moshpit New Member

While it's totally not necessary, an accuwedge eliminates that tiny wiggle nicely.

20. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Looks Good!
    Is it a Gov't Profile or HBar?
    haha I don't know any shooter that's fiddled with my ar, and hasn't started "contemplating" a build. Including me!