AR Builders...what's hard to get?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by sweeper22, Mar 5, 2013.

1. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

For those of you who are actively building, have built, as well as for the knowledge benefit of those who are considering builds in the near future, let's discuss what parts and portions that are the hardest to get at the moment.

My take:

1) BCGs- A good M16 BCG at a fair price (under $200) is nearly impossible at this moment. You'd better have an inside track with a really good source. 6 months ago you could have all the BCMs you wanted for $170 delivered. Now they're $225+, if you order within 17 seconds of receiving your email alert. Any longer and they're sold out. The fact is, the BCG supply had run a bit dry even before recent events. Add in a healthy dose of hysteria, and they're almost worth their weight in gold. I sold a couple used DPMS AR versions on Ebay for about $285 a piece in January. That's not the price I asked, that's how high the bidders chose to go. They were probably worth no more than $100 a piece. Without a little Jedi magic, it's tough to do much better than indefinitely backordering one at a respectable price. Maybe you get it in 11 weeks, maybe 11 months.

2) Stripped Lowers, Barreled Uppers, Mags, Ammo- All are tough to find at rational prices. But they're all out there if you're on the right backorder/email alert lists or possess a steady network. Some folks continue to pay 200-300% markup prices on all of these.

3) LBK/LPK- Critical in completing your lower. I'm a big fan of the PSA/Magpul LBKs. They've been up for sale multiple times in the last several weeks for very fair prices, and allow you to finish a quality lower build with one modest purchase.

4) Charging handles- A little tough, if you want a specific model from a specific company that you're already placing an order with. But they're easy enough if you look around.

5) Everything else (sights, slings, optics, accessories)- Easy.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  2. brettc

brettc New Member

Stripped uppers- my Achilles heel right now

3. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

Me too! :(

4. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

5. brettc

brettc New Member

6. ZeusEcho

Yeah I'm also looking for VLTOR or Noveske

7. brettc

brettc New Member

hard to come by right now, early november i had chance to pick up both...i passed, been kicking myself ever since

8. ZeusEcho

Man i know that sucks! They'll start turning up just need to give it some time.

9. brettc

brettc New Member

I stocked up on lowers though haha. I also was lucky enough to grab a BCM bcg and spikes bcg for NORMAL prices so I guess I was lucky really.

10. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Since November anything has been hard to get, after Sandy Hook, it got much worse. Any bubba brand AR part has tripled, the bigger names 4-6 times what they were. It's not the factories, it is the bastards who bought up everything and waited to gouge people on gunbroker.

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I've only bought a PSA LBK since December, during their 12 Days of Christmas sale. It arrived within 21 days so I was lucky.

From what I've seen BCGs are the toughest major part to find though there are shortages everywhere. Very bad time to be doing a build unless you settle for lesser parts. I'm glad I finished two builds last year before the madness began.

12. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

15" handguards are really hard to find right now. Samson, MI, Troy, Geissele, Noveske etc. etc.

Been looking for over a month, just found one last nite.

13. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Even the low quality stuff is in short supply now. Can you beleive even Vulcan is backordered:eek:

14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Now that is scary! :eek:

Can you imagine having to wait three+ months for an AR and have it end up a Vulcan! Ugh. :eek:

15. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I have a buddy that has picked up 60 new BCGs in the last 4 weeks , He is a sponsored shooter and this yr for his sponsorship he requested BCGs instead of them picking up hotel tabs , meals etc. , saved them money and is making him money . too bad I cant get one for less than $250 from him . but they are beauties for sure , they look just like the deep black BCM BCGs without the BCM engraving on them .

16. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

The guy from ds arms?

17. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Small world huh :D

18. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Ya! I remember you talking bout him. Ds says their BCG are from a large mil spec manufacturer. So I'm not to surprised.