AR build?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by frostyone, Jan 31, 2012.

1. frostyone

frostyone New Member

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  2. ZombieKiller83

ZombieKiller83 New Member

If you plan on going free float on a BCM I would probably order it without the front sight if that's possible as I've heard the front sight pins are really really really tight on bcm's. A guy I know had take his to a gunsmith to have his removed and it took the gs over an hour just to get the pins out. Don't know if anyone else here can confirm but that's just what I've heard.

3. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

Must have been some pin. I've had a few that took more than a tap or two but never anything like that.

4. ZombieKiller83

Could be an exaggeration and I can't confirm as I wasn't there so don't hold me to it. I myself have considered going free float on mine but decided to just build another ar instead :p

5. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

I could drill them out faster than that. Doesn't sound right.

6. ZombieKiller83

Yeah could have been a dimwit gunsmith too who knows just thought id give the op something to look into before pulling the trigger

7. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

The pins on my BCM came out fairly well but I had to take my LWRC to the gorilla exhibit to get them out.

frosty, do you have a dremel tool?

8. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I can personally attest to this too. The gunsmith broke 2 of his tools taking it out. Took over an hour. He said its the last time he does that on a BCM.

9. frostyone

frostyone New Member

I have a dremel tool and access to a machine shop if that helps. I also emailed bcm about having them put on a low profile gas block for me. I was going to order the upper with the rail already installed but they are currently out of stock.

10. frostyone

frostyone New Member

Do I need some kind of upper receiver block to hold the receiver for torquing the barrel nut?

11. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

It wouldn't hurt but I honestly have used a magazine as a substitute.

12. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

One thing you can do the a dremel is grind off the upper part of the front sight leaving the lower half intact and attached. Basically you remove everything other than the gas block portion of the Fsb. This gives you an inexpensive option that requires just a little elbow grease and a little time.

The end result is a low profile gas block that's pinned and that sh*t ain't going nowhere. Also you don't have to worry about any unfinished parts of the barrel exposed with the removal of the FSB. If you are worried about the finish of your barrel after you remove the fsb, Rainer arms makes a low profile block with an extention that covers any indecently exposed bits of your barrel.

(You can finish off any exposed/untreated metal showing with duracoat or cheap brake paint from a rattle can.)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  13. frostyone

frostyone New Member

So can I just cut off the front sight to make it fit under the handguard if it wouldn't cooperate with coming off?

14. frostyone

frostyone New Member

That sounds like a pretty good option if bcm can't put on a low profile block for me. Thank you

15. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I have done it twice. Once on my a LWRC and the other on a BCM. Both came w/ a F-marked FSP but in time I found I shot better w/ a longer tube. So off came the posts.

I didn't take the time I should have but there are some out there that look factory.

Just take your time and grind :)

16. frostyone

frostyone New Member

Do I have to remove the FSB or can I just cut it in place? Do I need to remove the FSB to install the Troy battle nut that comes with the rail?

17. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

No but it sometimes helps to rotate the FSB in order to get a good angle.

Yes I don't believe the nut will fit over the FSB.

18. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Anytime you have to swap a barrel nut the gas block or fsb will have to be removed.