AR budget builds....

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by slowryde45, Mar 23, 2010.

1. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  2. russ

russ New Member

You could probably even build the lower cheaper if you shopped carefully. I believe DSA sells stripped lowers for $60. You can get an LPK for about $55. And you should be able to do a complete stock kit for under $100.

Good post slo.:)

edit:
    complete stock kit for $50 http://www.dsarms.com/M4-Updated-6-...tock-Black-----CARM4RIB/productinfo/CARM4RIB/
    lower for $60 http://www.dsarms.com/DSA-ZM4-Stripped-Lower-Receiver---DSZM4R/productinfo/DSZM4RBLM/
    LPK for $53 http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=877204

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Great Post Slo. This has been stickied for the time being while these sales and deals are on!!

JD

4. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I was floored to look at the date and realize these deals still exist. I am looking for an inexpensive AR in .223. I have heard much ballyhoo about building instead of buying complete. I have no skills yet in gunsmithing, though I am really quite handy around the house. I'm sure I could figure it out. And the doing would teach me how the parts all work.

Questions:

-What tools would be needed to put together the 5 or 6 parts listed in the original post? Exactly. Perhaps with MidwayUSA links, if possible.

-Would the complete lower (for just, like $75 more) be worth it over a stripped lower and a parts kit...for someone who values his time a bit more than money when we're talking less than 100 bucks?

-Do I look up an FFL in the yellow pages, tell him what I want, and he orders the lower? How does that work? Do I go to my local gun shop with whom I have a relationship? I'm in Portland, Oregon.

5. russ

russ New Member

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  6. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Right you are!!

DSA ZM4 Stripped Lower Receiver - DSZM4R

[​IMG]

Item Number: DSZM4RBLM

Unit Price: $60.00

Special Pricing
    Buy 10 for $55.00 each

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Attached Files:

8. russ

russ New Member

9. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

I'm so glad, I'm glad, I'm glad, I'm glad. Called J&T this morning and Kelli (bless her heart) told me they would be sending out the 6.8 kit today or Monday. I'm been waiting since January.

10. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

What's a 6.8 kit?

11. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Well it's a week since l was told the 6.8 kit was in the mail and I missed the UPS driver this morning and he or she didn't leave the kit on the porch and I'm so pissed. UPS left me a message yesterday that the 6.8 kit would be delivered between 8 AM and 4 PM today. I took the dog for a run this morning returning home by 8:30 AM and the driver had come and left. UPS never comes to my house in the morning, why should today be any different? At least I starting making bullets yesterday and should get the kit tomorrow, but I'm sure it will be in the evening after I go to work.

12. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Well the 6.8 SPC is a reality now. The UPS driver stopped at my casa this morning with a special delivery for my granddaughter. I'm going to mount and bore sight the scope at work tonight and test drive it in the morning, oh hell, I might even run a clip on the way home tonight. I'll have to get out of the city though. Here kitty, kitty, kitty.

13. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Pictures please.

14. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Presumably a 6.8mm Remington SPC chambered AR.

15. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Looks like any other AR in my gun safe except that it is without optics as of now. I'm thinking about putting a Vortex Strike Fire on top as I ordered the A-4 with a gas block instead of a front sight. I didn't have high enough rings for the scope so I'm now considering the red dot. By the way, I built it on a Rock lower and have around $700.00 in it without the optics.

I ran around 10 rounds through it last Saturday and the action seemed to cycle well and all-in-all I'm very pleased with the kit from J&T except that delivery took so long.

I loaded 29.5 grains of H335 behind a 110 grain Hornady V-Max bullet. I'm going to have to wait for the optics before I do the accuracy test.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  16. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I looked at this site, Russ. I'm looking to build an 16" AR for about $750 stock to flash hider. I'm a little concerned about quality, though.

Without knowing much yet, I'm concerned that each individual item will NOT be what I would purchase if I bought them piece by piece.

The $750 limit is because I was going to buy a Mini-14, but have decided that even a bottom-end AR could out-perform a Mini-14 for zombie duty. But I don't want to put money in the wrong places.

Question:

What parts could I cheap out on (like a $60 stripped lower seems fine)?
    What parts should I search for better value, even in the lower price range, but stay away from the bargain basement?

17. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Don't cheap-out on the lower unless you can get it in your hand before you purchase it. I went with the kit from J&T and I'm real happy with the quality and they even sent me an extra spring and detent pin for the front take-down pin. Those guys at J&T must be physic, how did they know I was going to shoot the detent pin across the basement.

As the upper from J&T came completely assembled it only took me less than an hour to complete the build except for the time I spent in vain looking for that dang detent pin.

This build cost me a little extra because I went with a 6.8 SPC upper. I'm sure a 5.56 upper would be a little more reasonable even with a high quality lower. I put out $125.00 for my Rock lower. On any project, you should start with a good foundation IMHO. Joe

18. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

You're just talking the stripped lower, right, for a buck and a quarter?

And here I was thinking that was an easy place to save money...