Ar ammo getting stuck

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by ANAKINANAYA, Jun 19, 2011.

1. ANAKINANAYA

ANAKINANAYA New Member

I have a rock river arms ar-15 recently i have had trouble with a round sticking in the chamber if you load it and try to pull the charging handle back it will not extract. These r not reloads its monarch ammo from academy sports its brass. I have cleaned it out completely the entire bold assembly has been cleaned and stripped completely don't know what else to do ? But if i try the ammo in my dpms ar-15 it will cycle without a problem.

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

How many rounds you got through the Rock River? Has this just started, or are these the first rounds through??

3. ANAKINANAYA

ANAKINANAYA New Member

No have shot about 1000 round thru it , i think it might be the bolt assembly or something with the chamber but need help.

4. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

We have a local guy who has what sounds like a similar issue, He is just getting started with the repair/warranty work, But he is thinking the extractor is hanging up on the barrel when it has a round in there.

[​IMG]

The only difference is his is a Surplus Arms 7.62x39/6.5Grendel BCG and barrel, I'm unsure of the ammo being used.

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Okay, that rules out new chamber issues.

Did you buy the Steel or the Brass cased stuff?

I know it's cheap, but it's a pain in the ass for chambers. The steel stuff, if I remember, is laquered so you really have to scrub that chamber after shooting if you heat the chamber to the point of warming the cases.

The brass stuff is really dirty, but I don't think that would cause such epic failures in extractions unless you have a weak spring or deformed lip on your extractor.

I'm curious now....

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Jesus Christ man, is that a broken bolt handle from trying to dislodge the round?!?! :eek::eek::eek:

7. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

yes indeed
    I had nothing to do with it, Honest :D

8. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Have you ever used that varnished Wolf ammunition in your rifle?
    03. If so that is probably your problem. Rock River recommends it never to be used in their ARs. Speaking of a good rifle I guess my take on it is, if you had a 944 Turbo Porch would you run 43 octane gas in it? Also have you been able to clean behind the locking lug area of the barrel extension. Also what is the brass telling you when you inspect it. Regarding the Bushy, they do not maintain as close of a throat dimension requirement as the Rock Rivers. I am not saying they are bad. But normally a little more throat. If the brass is a little longer on the OAL that could cause a problem. After thorough cleaning of the chamber have you tried some other ammunition in the Rock River?

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Riiiiight! Just another one of those "A friend of mine once did" moments we will keep between us...... :rolleyes::p

JD

10. Sniper03

I addition. Is this a rifle built by Rock River or a parts gun. If the upper was built by Rock River it will have the laser Rock River Logo on the Upper Receiver above the charging handle on the flat surface behind the picatinny rail. If not it is a parts gun with a RRA Lower. Please just advise and we will all attempt to assist. It is surprising that evidently the rifle was working well before?? And suddenly started this?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  11. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

From the wear marks on the extractor it looks like the brass is possibly a little thick on the rim making the extractor pooch out just a scootch catching the chamber lug tightly. If you got calipers measure the rim on the suspect brass and compaire to loading manual specs.

Contrary to popular myth ar15/m16 bolt/lug lockup is extremely strong.

14. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

It was bound to happen...

[​IMG]

15. ANAKINANAYA

ANAKINANAYA New Member

Well went to the range this morning and shot about 3 rounds the fourth round got stuck in the chamber so i tried to use a cleaning rod to push it out now its stuck what should i do shooting brass no steel only brass.

16. Sniper03

It is my opinion you have an ammunition problem. Try some Federal, Winchester, Black Hills ammunition in it and see what it does. Or is it doing it will all brands of ammunition? Don't need but few rounds to check it out.
    Also is this a factory built gun?

17. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I agree, try different ammo and of course make sure your chamber is clean. If that doesn't work it's time to contact RRA.

BTW, are you saying the cleaning rod is stuck too?

18. General_lee

General_lee New Member

I had the same problem with some reloads. I tried some different ammo (factory 5.56) and it works fine.

19. Sniper03

Quentin,

I am still waiting on the answer to the factory rifle or upper question. Or parts gun question. If it is a parts gun it could have excessive head pace. Everyone thinks they can just exchange AR Bolt Carrier Assemblies with out any problems. 96% if the time that is true! But that leaves 4% that are not for example. Most of the time they can get by. But there are those other occasions. I just find it hard to believe it is a rifle problem if the rifle was built by RRA. And all of a sudden he is having this problem? And now awaiting the results of the ammunition testing as you stated with a perfectly clean chamber including in the Barrel Extension area.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  20. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

That's the 1st thing that came to my mind, along with extractor? But then again it sounds like its probably ammo. If it is shooting fine up until the point of changing a certain variable, then it usually is that variable. So, I'd ask:

1. Have you always shot that ammo or have you recently changed to that manufacturer?

2. When's the last time you disassembled your bolt for a detailed cleaning?

3. How's the extractor feel when you engage it by hand?

If you can't get that round out with a cleaning rod, "pencil-rod", found at lumber yards/construction supply stores is a better solution, they'll usually let you chop off a 10' section for nothing. It is ~3/16", steel rod, we use it to tie our (concrete) forms on occasion. Just tape the outside of it to prevent scratching on your bore. It's basically a very long punch.