AR acog

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by ShagNasty1001, Oct 22, 2011.

1. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I have a Smith & Wesson M&P-15 AR and right now I have a sight mark holographic sight on it but I want an acog. Any ideas on a decent brand?

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Trijicon makes the ACOG but get your billfold out!! :)

3. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Yeah I've looked at those, as nice as they are and as much as I'd like to have one, I just can't throw a grand down on a scope

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

They have one for a grand? :eek:

5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Bushnell has an Acog look alike for about $150. It is no Acog though but probably good enough.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  6. TCH2FLY

TCH2FLY New Member

If you have a Sightmark, you have a Reflex sight NOT a Holographic.

The Advanced Combat Optical Gunsight, or ACOG is made only by Trijicon (ACOG is also a registered trademark).
    You can get something that looks it but you won't get the real thing unless you get a Trijicon.
    (it is sort of like saying "what is the best brand of Kleenex?" ... Kleenex IS the brand, the product is a tissue)

So if you need a high quality optical for the AR and it must be an ACOG you will spend $1000-1500 or you can get any number of quality optics suited to the AR platform for $300-600.

If you just want the tacticool look to shown your pals from COD, you can go to Midway USA and look at the Bushnell, Barska or Leapers, I know NCstar also makes a look alike. Most of them are a waste of money for a serious shooter.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  7. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Yeah I tried a Barska and it was the crappiest thing in the world. The reticle was all jankety and tilted. My gun range that I go to has a Burris that comes with a x2 magnification with it for about 350

8. chewchew

chewchew New Member

I'll have to agree with you on that, they are CRAP

9. pipeman525

pipeman525 New Member

10. sgttessnc

sgttessnc New Member

the bushnell is a red dot sight, no magnification. ACOG are either 3 or 4x magnification they are sweet little numbers. I had my hands on one in Iraq. Super expensive but worth the money if you want magnificaiton. Sometimes you do not want it. and Red Dot is the way to go. that is why on some of them now they have a red dot on top of them. overkill I think.

if you want the ACOG profile find one that fits the outline, if you want what is inside get ready to pay 1200-1700.

11. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

Have you looked at the Vortex PST series?
    F.K.

12. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Not yet. I was looking at an eotech holographic sight with a magnifier but I'm hesitant because the magnifier I have with my sight mark now has no eye relief and is terrible to shoot with

13. JTJ

The Leuupold VXR or the Burris MTAC are similar and about $100 cheaper unless you know of a killer deal. I know the VXR is made in USA, not sure on the Burris.
    Where is the Vortex made? I am looking at these also.

14. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

The Votex is either Canadian or American Made. Now there is the Vortex Venom line which is around a grand but the PST line is about $500 I picked up mine in Canada For $500.
    F.K.

15. fpdsniper

fpdsniper New Member

ACOGS are in a class of their own. Yes, they are expensive. I can offer a great price on them, but they're still not cheap. But if you want the best, you gotta pay for it!

16. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

I just looked it up. Vortex is a family owned and operated buisness based in Wesconson(sp) sorry about that, It impoys Forty people there.
    It Says that based out of Wesconson they inspect and sevice their product line . I'm not shure if they are made there.
    Hope this helps

F.K.

17. seanwhite75154

seanwhite75154 New Member

I have an acog on my issued weapon. I have been to multiple shooing schools with the optic on an M4. I have hit targets out to 800 meters with it. The idea of the acog is great yet there are better scopes out there for less money. The eye relief on an acog is only about 1.5 inches, there is a bad parallax on the optic which means you need the exact same cheek to stock weld every shot or you won't put the bullet where you want it. Elcan makes a sight for 5.56 for around the same price and you can also find the leoupold hammer at around the same price (also a 5.56 reticle). I have used the acog a long time and have confidence with it, but for that price range there is better optics. Just my opinion

18. JTJ

I was talking to an Iraq vet today and he had an Aimpoint. He liked it so I did some looking. $400-500 with an unbelievable battery life. 2 or 4 moa dot on several different models.

19. seanwhite75154

seanwhite75154 New Member

I had an aimpoint in Iraq. It is a great sight. With enough practice on it yu can shoot a pretty tight group. I have had the model that takes AA batteries and the one that takes the flat watch style batteries. The watch style batteries seem to last much longer than the AA's but they are not as readily available. The red dot scope will easily hit targets out to 300 + meters

20. sgttessnc

sgttessnc New Member

again, aimpoint is not magnified. is a red dot sight. they are very good and do have the battery life longer than anything else. they are high $ for red dots but have the name brand power like trijicon. I have an EoTech on my M4 another high $ red dot (technically a reflex holographic) no magnification. ACOGs are a breed apart they dont really have much competition in their class.

figure out what you want in a sight... and you can get lots of assistance with brands and models.