AR 80% lower

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by ARNewb, Jun 8, 2014.

1. ARNewb

ARNewb New Member

I'm new to building firearms, building a new LR.308 currently off a 80% JT Tactical lower. If there is any one in the Los Angeles area that would like to coach me through this the help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

Search YouTube there is a lot of good videos that will coach you through it not as hard as you would think

3. ARNewb

ARNewb New Member

I have watched them, doesn't seem too hard but sometimes the application is a little harder than the observation LOL

I really don't wan to turn my $200 lower into a $200 Chunk of scrap

4. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

I understand not wanting to make a mistake with a jig and the instructions it is possible. here is some pictures of my last build Plus you should be able to find a 80 percent lower cheaper than 200 bucks

Attached Files:

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I moved your thread over to the AR section. You had posted in website support. More likely to get answers if you put it in the right category. Folks- remember he DID say .308- and a standard AR will not take .308 ammo- mag well is wrong sized.

Regards-
    C3

6. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

Very true c3 but I have seen them for just over $100

7. ARNewb

ARNewb New Member

Yeah the lower I bought was a JT 10 or the Juggernaut Tactical AR10 but it's DPMS spec for ME, I already built the upper, but the lower was already anodized, and heat/cryo treated. That's why it's a little pricey fir a 80%. Nice build BTW

8. CamoToe1

CamoToe1 Member

Hey EZ, I think I recognize your drill press from the photos. Here's what mine looked like before:
    ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1402324358.915696.jpg

And after:

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1402324450.097564.jpg

Dunlap or craftsman?

Attached Files:

9. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

Very close mine is a craftsman but its not a tabletop its a floor mount.
    But yeah it's probably 40 or so years old lol.
    Nice restore job though

10. CamoToe1

CamoToe1 Member

Try 70+ years!!! Dunlap was the value brand to Craftsman much like Companion is today. The floor model was deluxe. I got mine thinking I'd drill and pin some fsb's with it. Can't find a deal on barrels to justify it. PSA sells em assembled for less than I could piece together.

11. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I hear ya on that , although it is fun and whats best is knowing that when you look down the barrel your FSB is actually straighter than any I have ever purchased already done .
    The tapered reamer can get away from you really quick so its slow and trial fit until its perfect

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  12. CamoToe1

CamoToe1 Member

Very nice work. I'll have to try it on my next upper. Maybe a 20" A1 style rifle is in order....