AR .223 OK for Mini?

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by boomhauer, Apr 15, 2016.

1. boomhauer

boomhauer New Member

Hey guys-new guy here. Forgive me if I stuck this in the wrong place, maybe this belongs in the ammo section, move it if so. Any way I've got an early 90's Mini-14, it's my grandson's fav (and I like it too) and a while ago I bought some .223 on line. Fed Am Eagle and while it's not the best it's not the worst. Price was right. Didn't open the box till yesterday and noticed it's AR223. Emailed Federal and they said it's military primered and should only be shot through an AR. Well it's too late to return the ammo and I can sell it on Armslist or Backpage or etc. but I'm just curious what you guys think since you don't work for Federal and don't have to keep your asses covered. So you tell me- thanks

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

3. boomhauer

boomhauer New Member

Thanks Dan. Don't know if when I placed the order if it showed AR223 ammo but it was a Christmas present. For me. So it was a while ago. Lesson learned (again), pay attention.

4. hmh

hmh New Member

If it is .223 rem than there should be no issues in any .223 rem rifle no matter the primer. I think the mini is .556 rated. It sounds like a marketing gimic.

5. boomhauer

boomhauer New Member

Well I just wanted to make sure it was OK. Yes I know I can run both .223 and 5.56 in older Mini's but this AR223 I've never come across. Maybe just never noticed it. Read so many discussions on .223 vs 5.56, 7.62x51 vs .308, etc. makes one a little wary of unfamiliar ammo.

6. Mercator

Mercator New Member

"Military primed" means cheaper, harder primers - or nothing at all. The cartridge is .223 Rem, that's what the Mini was built to shoot. Fire away.

Many folks who are supposed to have technical answers have a hard time saying "I don't know". Gun shops, Best Buy, you name it. Instead they will say what uncle Bill said the other day, or just invent it on the spot.

7. boomhauer

boomhauer New Member

Best Buy has ammo?

8. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

For Call of Duty :p

9. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

All Mini 14 are chambered in 5.56 except for the target model distinguishable by the harmonic dampener on the end of the barrel. I have fired thousands of round of .223 and 5.56 including the ammo in question. It all ran great. No worries. My 580 series has never had a hiccup with any ammo be it .223 or 5.56. Matter of fact i shot 100 rounds of AR223 last weekend. Total marketing bs. It ran great in both my mini14 and AR.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  10. boomhauer

boomhauer New Member

Good to hear. Hey you're a good bunch, I may hang around a while. Noticed some threads on accurizing the Mini, need to check this out. And I have some questions about the gas reduction bushing kits I saw. Great googly moogly that rifle can kick empties farther than the shots travel.That I probably need to go to another forum department. Thanks again guys-

11. danf_fl

We strive to provide the best information possible!

(And if we can't, then the best razzle-dazzle possible)

There are two user's manuals for the Mini-14 based on year of manufacture. Go to the Ruger site and double check.

But have fun blasting that AR223 ammo away!

12. jackrich3

jackrich3 Active Member Supporter

Put a 45acp recoil bushing on both ends of the operating rod and the cases will stay a lot closer.

13. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

boomhauer,

If your Ruger Mini has a true 223 Remington Chamber in it you should not shoot these rounds in your rifle.
    Here is why Federal told you should not use it in your rifle.

*Federal American Eagle is loaded with Lake City Brass to NATO specifications. This ammunition is a great choice for the shooter looking for a great affordable round for target shooting, training and practice. This ammunition is new production, non-corrosive, in boxer-primed, reloadable brass cases.

Please Note: While the 5.56x45mm NATO will fit in a .223 Remington chamber, the 5.56 is a military round that runs at higher pressures than its .223 counterpart. And not recommended to be fired in a true .223 Remington chamber. That is why if you do shoot 5.56 NATO ammunition in a true 223 Remington Chamber the pressure spikes immediately beyond what the 223 Remington Chamber was designed for! And has the potential of creating a serious issue!

Technical Information •Caliber: 5.56x45mm NATO
    •Bullet Weight: 55 Grains
    •Bullet Style: XM193 Full Metal Jacket Boat Tail
    •Case Type: Brass

Ballistics Information:
    •Muzzle Velocity: 3240 fps
    •Muzzle Energy: 1282 ft. lbs.

The difference is the true 223 Remington Chamber does not have Free Bore/ or Lead as some call it in the chamber which is required to maintain safe pressure in the rifle shooting hotter 5.56 NATO Military Spec ammunition. Notice where the case mouths are on the Yellow Line and where the rifling starts in regard to the case mouth on the 223 Chamber on the Left. And then notice the difference between the case mouth on the Yellow Line and where the rifling's start on the 5.56 NATO Chamber on the right. That is called Free Bore or Lead! Which is required to maintain a safe pressure for the 5.56 NATO chambered rifles.
    I would suggest finding a friend who has an AR-15 with the 5.56 chamber, which most do now days. And trade him round for round. He can shoot your rounds safely in his rifle and his safely in yours.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  14. FernandoTheCommando

I hear you on the whole brass being chucked 30 ft lol. If i bring the mini to the range i usually try to get the last lane so im not humming brass into other shooters. I have decided to leave mine bone stock though. Someone mentioned a .45 buffer. That probably helps a little but ive heard that if you put one on the gas block end and one to the rear, it can cause the rifle to not lock back on an empty mag or cause feeding issues. Just what ive heard though and i have no experience with the buffers. I bought an AR for tinkering but i like the mini for what it is. Its a fast pointing, handy little rifle that runs and runs no matter how hard you beat on it. I found my 580 series to be acccurate enough without an accustrut too. I wont be winning any marksmanship contests with it, but its good enough for what i intend to do with it. Have fun and be safe. And oh yeah, if you mod or upgrade it, post pics please! If youre curious to see pics of my mini or any of my other guns, i have an instagram account. Johnny5twotwo

15. boomhauer

boomhauer New Member

Sniper03-I've heard a lot of people (including Ruger) say the older Mini's are chambered in 5.56 and so can shoot both but what to do to make damn sure? Take it to a gunsmith and do a cast, I think that's what I heard it called. Is that about the only way? Because maybe in the short term there won't be a problem but how about long term? This is why I've run nothing but .223. Hmmmm what to believe-

16. sandog

sandog Member

boomhauer, an early 90's Mini would be a pencil barrel (.560" diameter).
    These are helped greatly by putting a strut under the barrel. Most guys find a 35-40% accuracy improvement, and with a strut your barrel doesn't get near as hot. The strut increases the metal mass around the barrel to dissipate heat.
    Also they greatly reduce the tendency of your rounds to climb up on the target as the barrel warms.
    A smaller gas bushing, and running a front or back, or both buffers, has some accuracy advantages, easier to find your brass, brass isn't dented up as much, and the Mini is "softer" shooting due to not being so over gassed anymore, and eliminating that metal to metal contact with buffer use.
    Wilson Combat buffers made for the 1911 are used, and smaller gas bushings can be had from ASI, or Lee Hadaway, both out of Colorado.
    Factory bushings for the Mini-14 have a .080" hole, most guys go with a .040" to .050" bushings, with .045" being the most popular.
    Instead of your brass launching 40 feet, it will go 12 to 15 feet.
    (Mini-30's come with a .100" bushing and running one that is .060" to .065" gives the same effect).

17. danf_fl

This is directly from the manual for the early '90s Mini 14:
    "The RUGER® MINI-14® RANCH RIFLES are chambered for the .223
    Remington (5.56mm) cartridge. The Ranch Rifle is designed to use either
    standardiz U.S. military or factory loaded sporting .223 (5.56mm) cartridges
    manufactured in accordance with U.S. industry practice. See “Ammunition
    Notice” & “Ammunition Warning”, below."

18. boomhauer

boomhauer New Member

Yes I do have an Accustrut on mine and it sure did help. And gives the rifle a more balanced look, a bit closer to an M-14. Accuracysystems even has an intregal strut/gas block set up, one with an adjustable gas deal that looks really clean,installed almost like the rifle was built that way. If I'd have seen that first I'd have gone that way. A little pricey but doable. Thinking about it, might still do it and sell my strut on ebay or whoever. The gas bushings are a lot less expensive. Any body tried these? The buffers too sound like a good plan, does somebody like Brownells or Midway carry them?

How the hell do you spell intregal? Tried 8 different ways and I'm still getting a red underline.

19. danf_fl

I question what happens when the "shock buffers" come apart if not changed regularly.

20. FernandoTheCommando

Integral is the correct way I believe. My phone didnt correct me. What series mini do you have? If its 580 or above with the tapered barrel, I will buy your accustrut should you decide to sell it.

Nevermind. Just saw its an early 90's mini.