AR .223/5.56 to .22 Conversion kits

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by medic45, Sep 18, 2013.

1. medic45

medic45 New Member

Ok Fellas,
    As most of you know I just completed my 1st AR build and I am completely stoked about it! I have seen so many .22 AR's out there and got to thinking I could get a conversion kit no need in having a dedicated AR just for .22!! So here are my questions!!

Where is a good place to find 1 at??
    which costs the least.
    which is the most reliable.
    What kinda of accuracy you can i expect at 25/50 yards.
    What's the best Bang for my Buck and yes pun intended lol

Thanks ahead of time!!

Brian

2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

CMMG .22lr conversion kit , Their customer service is outstanding . Lifetime guarantee on the conversion BCG , Its not going to be as accurate as a dedicated .22lr barrel because the twist is at a much higher rate on the PSA barrels but this is a 60 yard 10 shot grouping using cheap winchester 555s .22 lr on a 3" dot . Expect to pay any where between $149-$179 for the kit with one mag . You dont really need the locking lug kit its more for looks than function in a .22lr .

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013

3. medic45

medic45 New Member

I'll take that grouping everyday and 2x's on Sunday anytime!! Havoc can you recommend a dealer for this??

4. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I have the stainless kit , but I dont think they make it in this style any more as it went to the Bravo style :( , no biggy though . Heres the link and its in stock . All marts on the CMMG kits are replaceable . I have over 6000 rounds thru my conversion . They arent real picky on ammo except they will not cycle subsonic ammo unless suppressed . I believe that kit listed below can be used for select fire also
    This one is about as cheap as I could find
    https://www.primaryarms.com/CMMG-ALPHA-22-LR-Conversion-Kit-25-Round-Magazine-p/cmmg22ba6fd.htm

Heres some decent mags at PSA . My buddy uses these and they work great

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...magazine-with-nylon-feed-lips-xf-26sm-ny.html

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  5. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

The kit is well worth the money , I shot about 10000-12000 various rounds last year and this thing works perfect if you intend on doing scenerio drills . Such a money saver not having to shoot over priced 5.56 ammo to practice with

6. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Great info Pure!

Due to EVEN MORE @$#%@#$%@ LAWS about to be passed, it looks as tho ALL CENTERFIRE, SEMI-AUTOMATIC, DETACHABLE MAGAZINE firearms will become "Assault Weapons" here in the state of Kommiefornia. Yes that means I would have to goto the local PD and get fingerprinted and apply for a $200 tax stamp. FML.

One work around I'm thinking of is to make all everything I own into a rimfire...... Now I think it wouldn't be so bad if I could SBR some of them, but the law also states that AW are non transferable, meaning after I pass, all my AWs will have to be surrendered for destruction and cannot be transferred to my heirs. FML

But if they are rimfires, its NO PROBLEM! @#$%@#$%@#$@$!@#$#@!$!%!#@$!@#.......

7. sandog

sandog Member

I used to have the CMMG conversion bolt, and it fed fine with just about everything, after a few hundred round "break-in" period. It was plenty accurate for short range plinking, about 1" to 1 1/4' groups at 25 yards with ammo it liked. I kept telling myself I'd be better off with a dedicated .22 upper, then I'd have the proper bore diameter and twist, and the .22 bullet wouldn't have to make that 2" jump to the rifling. So I sold the conversion bolt and bought a CMMG upper a few months ago. It has fed reliably from the start, except for Federal Champions which it didn't like at all. I have an occasional failure to fire due to a light primer hit, but that is due to my lower having an aftermarket (CMC) trigger, not the fault of the CMMG upper. And that is mostly with some W-W Super -X ammo I have, it must have a slightly harder rim than other brands. There are some warnings about his happening with triggers that have a lighter hammer strike. When I am shooting 5.56mm ammo, the carbine has been 100% reliable using that trigger. Accuracy with the new upper doesn't seem to be notably more accurate with the several types of ammo I have, than the accuracy I was getting with the conversion bolt, but maybe I need to try some more brands. It shoots the best with CCI Mini-mags, Federal Auto Match shoot good as well.

Attached Files:

8. medic45

medic45 New Member

What's the nice chunk of meat lying next to the killer AR??? Nice scope as well