AR-22 rifles

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by jeepfxr, May 19, 2011.

1. jeepfxr

jeepfxr New Member

Hi guys, I'm thinking about getting some kind of AR-22 rifle for my 13 YO grandson for his birthday. Does anybody have any experinces with this type ? What do you recommend ? Thanks,

2. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

The only one that I have personal experience with is the S&W M&P 15-.22. I have one and it is currently the most shot .22 that I own. My 10 year old loves it.

3. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Get the M&P. It is an outstanding rifle.

4. Shortfuse

Shortfuse New Member

I have the Mossberg Tactical .22 Its a 702 Plinkster in an AR15 shell I shoot this thing almost every day and we just picked one up for my grandson he loves it. It shoots prety much anything I run through it heres a couple of pics of mine I got a little carried away with the bolt ons but they add weight to the gun Its only around 5 lbs out of the box you cant go wrong with this gun for the money about $275 door to door.

Attached Files:

5. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I have the Smith & Wesson M&P AR15-22. I love it. It's more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

6. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

Colt .22 I got an M4, shoots great when you run good ammo through it. It takes some adjusting but it's the same size and weight as a real M4 and feels just like. The clips are extremely easy to load, adjustable stock. Me personally I really didn't like the M&P 15-22 felt almost like a toy.

7. rodent.22

rodent.22 New Member

My most popular rifle with the kids

I've had the Colt/Umarex M4 for 2 years, my grandson and nephews LOVE it. Thousands of rounds thru it, very reliable.:D

Attached Files:

8. coonbait

coonbait Member

i have the M&P15-22 and the GSG-5 both are fun to shoot. the GSG-5 is alot heaver than the M&P15-22 and the M&P can be a little picky on ammo but both shoot very well.

9. jeepfxr

jeepfxr New Member

Ar-22

Thanks for the advise guys, I love the looks of the Mossberg in the pic's too. Still looking at what is available around here. So. Michigan.

10. ra5451

ra5451 New Member

Shortfuse - I'm assuming that its a 702 and the rest are add ons... What is the list of add ons

11. KentuckyBob

KentuckyBob New Member

Personally I'd stay away from the Mossberg and go with s S&W 15-22 that has a lifetime warranty. I handled a Mossberg at my local GS and was not impressed at all. Everything about it seemed cheap. Even though the S&W will cost more it will be worth it all day longgggggggggggggggggg!!!

12. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I have the S&W M&P 15-22 and Ruger SR-22R love both of them. I recommend both!

13. KentuckyBob

KentuckyBob New Member

Personally I'd stay away from the Mossberg and go with s S&W 15-22 that has a lifetime warranty. I handled a Mossberg at my local GS and was not impressed at all. Everything about it seemed cheap. Even though the S&W will cost more it will be worth it all day longgggggggggggggggggg!!!

14. Shortfuse

Shortfuse New Member

ra5451 the add on are 3-9x40 Bushnell scope a 1x30 Red Dot a bolt handle extention a Bipod a flash light a fake silencer a three point sling and since the pics I added a ATI Cheek Rest.
    Yeah this gun feels cheap because it is cheap half the price of a S&W but once it was broken in it has worked trouble free I have run at least 2ooo rounds (many different brands) through it. I have killed more small game than I can count with this gun and by the way I bought it from Davidsons Gallery of Guns they give a lifetime replacment warrenty above and beyond the manufacturers warranty

15. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I have a dedicated CMMG .22 upper I like a lot but would recomend the S&W 15-22.

16. Leathermarshmallow

Leathermarshmallow New Member

another vote for the S&W 15-22. My son's has 1000s of rounds through it. Never a problem with it.

Attached Files:

17. jeepfxr

jeepfxr New Member

Remington 597 quad rail .22

We found the Remington for $299. So far I'm happy with it. Waiting until payday to buy a bipod for it. I mounted a new Weaver Steel-lite II 4 X 12 on it just to see how it shoots.

18. warhawk77

warhawk77 New Member

THose look very nice. I am also kicking the idea around picking up one of those also.

I have a 22 rilfe my mom bought me 20 years ago it is still works great. Are these as realiable as a normal rifle?

19. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

My buddy has had ZERO malfunctions in his M&P.

20. threeOH8

threeOH8 New Member

anyone happen to know if a MIL spec acs butt stock from magpul will fit on the M&P 15/22?