AR .22 Conversion Kit

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by DTOM97, Apr 27, 2013.

1. DTOM97

DTOM97 New Member

I've got a .223/5.56 AR and I was thinking about bying a .22 bolt carrier and magazine. Is it true that these aren't as accurate as a true .22 rifle? Should I just go out and buy a m&p22 or would a conversion kit work?

2. herp_man2003

herp_man2003 New Member

It probably wont be as accurate as the m&p 22. The rifling in you ar is probably somewhere around 1in7 to 1in9. The standard 22lr rifling is 1in16.
    I say go for the m&p its always nice to have another 22 plinker in the safe. Another option would be to buy a dedicated upper. I had the cmmg upper and it ran awesome. It would even run cci standard velocity flawless.

3. DTOM97

DTOM97 New Member

How much do these uppers run for?

4. herp_man2003

herp_man2003 New Member

It depends on what you buy. I think the cmmgs are around 375. Thats close to what you would pay for the smith. But if this is gonna be used as a trainer more so than a plinker you have the advantage of having the same trigger.

5. DTOM97

DTOM97 New Member

Okay thanks for the great help. Appreciate it.

6. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I might suggest u do a bit of research . How far are you really going to shoot with it ? If your intending on buying a dedicated .22lr barrel accuracy is not going to be a issue between it and a dedicated AR in .22 lr . If your talking about a .22lr conversion bolt and magazine , mine is fairly accurate and good enough to plink and practice with considering im using cheap bulk .22lr ammo and a 1:7 twist 5.56 / .223 barrel . 10rds in a 3" circle @60 yards . Most of which were in the 1.5" circle[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  7. DTOM97

DTOM97 New Member

I just want an AR trainer. .223 these days is way too expensive and the reason why I just wanted a conversion kit is to get the training I need on my specific set up.

8. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I might suggest just using the cmmg .22lr conversion bolt and magazine and just using your current Ar15 barrel to train with. Thats what i have been using for drills and practicing with . I think i bought my cmmg stainless kit for like $135 with 2 mags and bought 3 more mags . Thats been a while back ago so Im not sure what the kits cost today but what ever it is they are worth it in ammo savings alone