Ar-15

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by Hookin11, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Hookin11

Hookin11 New Member

I have a DPMS upper receiver and a Spikes lower end and it has the option of a 3-Round burst on it. I was wanting to know the legal side of that and where to possible find the kit to have it done. . . Possible a cost also.?

2. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I think that symbol on the Spikes lowers over where "sprinkle" is located is just for looks. A standard LPK will only allow for the "SAFE" and "FIRE" positions to work on your selector switch. No it isn't legal to try and convert an AR-15 to "AUTO" or "BURST". Obviously, they don't sell kits to do such things and ATF takes a dim view of anyone who tries to do such.

An M-16 or M4 would probably run around $10,000 if you were able to purchase one from a FFL Class III dealer who had one. That's after you did all the ATF paperwork just to own it.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012

3. Hookin11

Hookin11 New Member

Lesson learned, preshate it..!

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

The burst mode is only there for show and the receiver is not machined to accept full auto parts. Even if it were the manufacturing and even possession of an unregistered full auto AR would cost you several years in a Federal prison and tens of thousands in fines. Class III firearms are available but their limited availability makes them very pricey.

5. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Yeah...you convert one to full auto you better stock up on soap on a rope.

6. Flat4sti

Flat4sti New Member

It is a nice little tease isn't it though...
    Spikes Lower.jpg

7. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I thought all of the parts were available for burst and full auto conversions and the only illegal thing was if you actually installed them in your rifle. Am I totally wrong about that?

8. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Possssion of an autosear and certain trigger control parts that can be installed in an AR is considered to be possession of a machine gun whether or not they are actually installed, unless you already own a NFA weapon and have the proper tax stamp.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  9. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Oh. OK then. How can that be determined then? Is the autosear and the trigger control parts identified by serial numbers or something?

I live in CA so it is illegal in any case for me to own any of this stuff, but I once heard... and you know where that leads.

10. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Along with a bunch of internal part differences between the AR-15 and the M-16/M4, there are also certain differences in the lower receiver between the semi-auto and the select fire weapons. It is not as simple as just having the parts ready to drop-in. Once the modifications necessary are made to the lower receiver, it becomes very apparent to LEO's and ATF's whether the gun is capable of semi or auto fire.

Anyone considering an attemp to gather and own the conversion parts should seriously reconsider unless they want to go do some serious time in the big house.

"From: [49 U.S.C. 781-788, 26 U.S.C. 5861, 26 U.S.C. 5872]

Violators may be fined not more than $250,000, and imprisoned not more than 10 years, or both. In addition, any vessel, vehicle or aircraft used to transport, conceal or possess an unregistered NFA firearm is subject to seizure and forfeiture, as is the weapon itself."

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  11. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

There are visible differences in the parts as well as additional holes and millings to the receiver. BTW, having a M-16 BCG is perfectly legal.

[​IMG]

12. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Well at least now I know enough to be able to call BS when one of these idiots who says they have the parts to convert to select fire and make the conversion without it being detected by the authorities. I hate knowing they are full of it yet not being able to call them on it because I don't know the details. Thanks for the info.

13. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

One of the wiser heads may correct me, but the buffer is also entirely different. It requires a hydraulic buffer to convert, not the traditional.

14. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Nope, you've been watching too much Red Jacket stuff on Discovery. :D

15. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Then I am misinformed. And, while I watch the show, that's actually not where I heard that. But thanks for the correction.

16. Woodys45ACP

Woodys45ACP New Member

Try 19,000.00

17. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Wow, that's just crazy!!! You'd have to REALLY want one at that price. I thought $10,000 was nuts. Not surprised that I'm behind the times. :confused:

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

they go for 12-16k atm. colts are around 16 others are less. conversions can occasionally be found for 9-10 depending on condition.

of course it all depends on condition.

19. MrM4

MrM4 New Member

Cheap FA AR15 conversions from places like Olympic Arms (know for being out of spec) can go as cheap as $8k, some COLTs will bring over $20K. My Colt Guard Transferable sold for $18K to the owner that had it prior to me.

Drop in auto sears go from 10-13.5 K depending on who made them.

Lighting Links have been going for 6-7.5K

The prices on MGs has come down over the last 3-5 years, however when the country unscrews itself and people start making a comfortable living again I expect that the prices will raise. With a Estimated 160-180K registered MGs in the registery it is a simple matter of supply and demand.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012