AR-15 @ WAL-MART under 500bucks...

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by m72law, Feb 19, 2012.

1. m72law

m72law New Member

I was @ wallyworld a few mins. ago to buy a few items & ammo

As i got done paying for my ammo,i looked in the gun cases & notice a plan jane AR-15 M4 style rifle with a price tag of 499.00:eek:

I cant remember the name on the lower but the rifle didnt have front or rear sights,just a weaver rail style gas block & upper.it does have forward ***. 16'' barrel with the m203 cut out (M4style)& is chambered in 5.56.

now im sure its no match grade shooter,but @ 500bucks,i can barely build one like it for that price.:confused:

made in china?,maybe thats why:D

Has anyone seen these or bought one,if so are they worth the money or should one pass?

2. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Hard to say until we know of the brand.

3. m72law

m72law New Member

Yeah,think I'll just put the money in the SVT40 fund:D

4. jg3

jg3 New Member

I saw the same thing yesterday...it was a windham arms (spelling)...I believe they are the old bushmaster

5. losack

losack New Member

Most large big box companies have a particular manufacturer make a similar product that they sale in other venues but they use lesser quality parts such a plastics or even mim. So it may say Bushmaster or whatever but it won't be what you buy at the LGS.

Let the buyer beware!

This happens all the time in my industry. Someone sees a product like a ceiling fan or light fixture from Home BIg Box or wherever and it's 50.00 dollars cheaper but it's full of plastic parts.

What area of the country do you live in? I had read last week that Wal-Mart was making a push to get back into the firearms business. It's amazing how sells trends change a corporate mentality.

Sorry to rant!

6. m72law

m72law New Member

im east in N.C.,kannapolis area

7. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

That's interesting. It's $125 below anything I can even sell. I'm going to have to take a look at my local Wal Mart to see if they have them on the rack. My closest one sells rifles.

8. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Windham arms was started by a few guys that were high up in the bushaster company. These guys got fired or something, and shortly after started making rifles that closly resemble bushmaster rifles.
    All non-Essential parts (including the entire lower) are composit. I gave one a once over at the counter the other day in walmart.

If your not gonna shoot the hell out of it it may be worth getting. Maybe for a kid or something.

9. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Oh no they made it from composites can't possibly be any good. You poor Glock saps. :p

10. m72law

m72law New Member

that makes sense,since they carry bushmaster also;)

i'm happy with the 2 bushys i own now,guess i'd be better off sticking to the $400.00 parts kit

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  11. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Just to clarify Windham is not the old Bushmaster. When Remington acquired Bushy it closed the Windham MA plant and fired the workers. The original founder of Bushmaster purchased the plant and rehired many of the workers. Windham now markets their own product in competition with Bushmaster. Unfortunately what they offer is the same generic, cookie cutter AR that Bushy does...nothing new or original yet. Time will tell whether the quality is on par or exceeds the crowd. For my money, I would leave that $499 AR at Walmart where it is and check out a brand with a known reputation. An extra couple hundred dollars may save you lots of aggrevation over inferior parts. It's not a bargain if you have to spend money to make it shoot reliably, JMHO.

12. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

I new it was something like that with old bushmaster workers.

13. m72law

m72law New Member

the bushy's i own are older ones,bought & traded over 8 years ago.never had one problem out of them;)

i dont know how good the new bushmasters are,the price sure are alot better.as i gave over 1200bucks for the xm-15 es2 post ban 8 years ago :eek:

you are right Jpyle,there isnt anything special about the bushy's/way over priced for what ya get!!!

i noticed wally world is also carrying the 556 sig rifles for 600bucks...they look super cheezy,but knowing that SIG name,the price should be alot more,unless SIG is going down hill like most other companys:(

14. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Wow, ive never seen a walmart carry an AR15 before

15. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I was just at my Walmart looking at ammo but didn't see any ARs. I'll have to look closer next time. Never have seen one there so I doubt it.

16. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Quentin ,
    Same deal here our wally world has tons of ammo but no guns at all. Their sporting goods guy says their coming but to be patient they got lotsa Walmart to fill yet

17. orangello

orangello New Member

Yup, the local wally's has the Sig and a Bushmaster, but only one of each on display, and PROMINENTLY DISPLAYED too. It got a double take and a stare out of me for sure. I've also had at least 3 or 4 friends text me all astonished to see AR's at the wally's. I don't know anybody who has bought one there yet, though. A redneck might be fine wearing wally's drawers and camo, but i'm not sure about wally's AR's.

The store did a remodel last year resulting in a MUCH better firearms counter and a half aisle of ammo, still behind glass but much easier to see. I always felt bad squinting to read the ammo boxes when they were behind the counter with the wide display counter (if he can't see, why is he buying ammo).

18. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I was told that walmart has contracts with most of the big brand manufactures that they carry. Was told that the products mirror the products from other retail stores, but are made cheaper and with cheaper materials so it meets walmarts price standards. Meaning that if you buy a Samsung series 6 LED tv, its made with cheaper parts than a Samsung series 6 LED tv sold at Best Buy. I dont know this for sure but ive always been leary about buying things from walmart like electronics or guns

19. orangello

orangello New Member

I don't know about most of their products, but i do remember reading that the briggs & stratton engines on their mowers were made "differently" just for wally's. I would not be suprised if other products were made "differently" too.

When you buy as much as wally's does, you can negotiate a lot more strongly. Vlassic pickles got into financial trouble with them by selling them the same product year after year with wally's chewing the price down a bit each year. I think it was the gallon size jar of whole pickles. http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html

20. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Code:
    <<<@!2!@>>>
    Last December I was shopping for a specific knife. A CRKT Ripple designed by Ken Onion. Online prices were between $75 and $115. Wal Mart had it onsale for $30. A little research show the Wal Mart Ripple had some differences. Different steel in the blade, made in China VS Taiwan, and one less laser engraving on the blade. What drew me to this knife was the internal ball bearing system at the blades pivot point and I found an online video of a guy who disassembled the Wal Mart blade and it did have the same IKBS.

The steel type and China VS Taiwan did not matter to me so I saved a bunch of money and am happy with it but Losac is correct. Much of the supposed Name Brand stuff at these big box stores is NOT the same quality.

Buyer Beware

Tack