AR 15 under 700?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by tbruins37, Dec 26, 2011.

1. tbruins37

tbruins37 New Member

Does anyone know of a descent AR you can get under or around 700? I know DPMS makes a few, but I would have get that sent to my ffl. Interested if anyone has any suggestions.

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

if you are planning on building one yourself that is an achievable price. however if you want to buy a reliable, good quality product ready to shoot your going to have to raise your spending limit to around 900. there are stag, dpms, rra, some bushmasters that are good for around that price. just my .02 cents

3. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Smith & Wesson M&P-15 Sport. ~$600 at academy sports and outdoors

4. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

One thing to consider! You get what you pay for! If you want a bargain basement price you get a bottom basement AR! There are a lot of ways manufacturers can trim cost. That is to trim quality and parts. I personally, if I am going to expect the weapon to last I want one of good quality. So with that said even if you build one yourself of top quality parts are looking at the $750.00 and above category. And with spending my hard earned money I do not expect to have problems with something I purchased and want good quality because I expect it to last. For example, there is a big difference in quality between a cast receiver and a good forged receiver of T-6 7075 aluminum,. A cast front sight and a forged front sight. The same is true with other parts in the AR. They can substitute cheap parts and sell for less or they can assemble good quality parts. Some look the same on the surface but are not when it comes to durability, specifications and quality. Some say and AR is an AR "Not true if you know how some are manufactured! The old saying apples to apples or comparing apples to oranges! So choose the best you can get for the money but buy quality. If you have to save for a while to get what you need and want, it will be well worth it in the long run!

5. mark1616

mark1616 New Member

Del Ton Upper w/kit - $485
    Stripped lower - $80
    Magpul magazine - $25 =
    $590 + fees, tax, and shipping

A decent entry level AR for a great price!

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Mark,

What do you do for a Lower Parts Kit, Stock and Sights? The $590 doesn't take those items into consideration. Or is the lower parts kit figured into the $485?

7. tbruins37

tbruins37 New Member

Thanks guy. I know the whole get what you pay for thing applies. Which is fine, in not looking for a top line system to start with. I was considering the del ton kits but I'm slightly concerned with putting that together myself. I would RATHER build it myself, but of course I don't want to shoot a gun I'm not 1000% confident in. How simple are they to put together?

8. tbruins37

tbruins37 New Member

Sniper, I believe the del ton kit comes with a stock. Not to sure about the sights. And everything for the lower is seperate.

9. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

also need to consider the ffl fee. my LGS fee is $70 for any item he carries. 40 for any item he doesnt...

10. tbruins37

tbruins37 New Member

40? I suppose it could be worse, but that seems a bit steep. My last local was 25.

11. mark1616

mark1616 New Member

The Del Ton kit comes with lower receiver parts, stock and, depending on which package you purchase, iron sights. Everything but the stripped lower. Check it out >> Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 Rifle Kits - 16"

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Excellent advice above! I agree with the $750 figure, once you drop under that for the basic rifle (excluding really good sales) quality begins to suffer. You'll soon forget the extra $150 or so if you made wise decisions but you'll never forget a $600 stinker.

13. fmj

fmj New Member

In my (short) time shopping around i have found DPMS makes a good looking AR for around the 650-700 range....but then you have to put sights/optics on it. I also want a quad rail hand guard so that jumps the price a bit more as well.

14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

"good looking" but how about function?

15. fmj

fmj New Member

16. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

So far so good on my Palmetto State AR, great shooting gun so far but I havent ran that many rounds thru it to give it a 100% run down , fit and finish is excellent , Ramps look great , $629 shipped to my FFL dealer that charged me $10 for the transfer :D . now take in to consideration your going to need to purchase a rear sight or use a scope so now your going to add at the minimum another $55 for a rear .
    That should still bring you in under $700 , Would I like to have had a higher end gun , YUP!!!!! Daniel Defense, Colt and HK come to mind but I bought what I could afford right now and so far Im very pleased with it , Enough to buy a lower from them to get started on another one :)

17. tbruins37

tbruins37 New Member

From what I can gather given more research, and the quality help from you guys, I'm looking into the delton m4 kit. Is have to get a lower, but that's not a problem. The site allows me to customize the stock and grips, etc. My only concern is if I could actually safely put it together myself. Has anyone ever done something like this before?

18. tbruins37

tbruins37 New Member

Exactly!! Haha, is love to buy a colt, or bushmaster. I'm just not in the market for one right now. Sure I could wait a little longer and save another 500-700$, but I don't want to spend that much yet. Gotta love "budget rifles".

19. mark1616

mark1616 New Member

I have. I bought the m4 kit as well, adding the chrome-lined 1/7 twist barrel, and low profile gas block. There are detailed instructions at the ar-15 forum, and also on you tube. I waited to build it until I had a magazine and a snap cap so I could do function tests as I went. It took me less than an hour to complete. The only problem I had was not properly lubing the bolt carrier assembly, which was an easy fix. I have put about 1,500 rounds through it since, with no issues.

20. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

It's not hard to find someone w/ something bad to say about DPMS. There are probably quite a few here on this site. I can remember a couple in the last week alone.

I just got back from Gander Mountain who sells DPMS. I tried out their shooting range and was informed by one of the employees that in the 2 days he had worked there he has seen 2 rifles go down. One was a DPMS that decided to become select fire.