AR-15 tools

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by SmokyMtnHiker, Jan 30, 2012.

1. SmokyMtnHiker

SmokyMtnHiker New Member

I was watching a video on yt on tools needed for a AR build. I will list below a list of the tools that this particular person classified as needed (i know some are needed). Me and three other buddies are going to build one each around the same time so we'll all be splitting the cost of tools most likely we'll buy our uppers pre-built. So i'm wondering what we can do without.

The list:

Upper receiver action block
    Lower receiver action block
    Roll pin punches
    Roll pin holders
    Bolt catch pin punch
    1/8" standard punch
    Pivot pin spring depresser
    Precision screwdriver set
    Ball peen hammer
    Non-marring hammer
    Micrometer
    Caliper
    Gas tube wrench
    Carbon scaper
    AR15 butt stock wrench
    SAE hex wrench set
    AR15 armor's wrench
    Torque wrench
    Precision tweezers

Sent from my SCH-I500 using FirearmsTalk

2. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Don't think you need a lower recieiver block.

What the carbon scraper, caliper and micrometer for?

What are precision tweezers?
    Like this?
    [​IMG]

In all seriousness, I'd add a big plastic bag and a box cutter or razor blade for the install of the front pivot detent.

Also some tools to stake your castlenut and gas key (if needed).

3. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

If you buy your upper pre built you will need these , the rest you can get by without

AR15 armor's wrench or a castle nut wrench but if your going to spend the $8 on the castle nut wrench you might as well buy the big tool with everything for $20
    Ball peen hammer
    1/8" standard punch
    needle nose pliars
    a roll of electrical tape for scuff and scratch resistance
    razor knife blade to hold the detent and spring down for the front pivot pin

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  4. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

LOL, take you long to find that pic on google ?

5. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Hammer, punch set, some tape, and a pair of small needle nose pliers, that's it.

6. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Naw dude, google images "precision tweezers funny" on the first page....honestly tho it could actually be useful :p

7. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

OooOOooOh tape, that's a good one, good call MJ.

8. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

It's smart for me to tape everything off when I start swinging a hammer around.

9. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Yep them stubborn roll pins can be a bitch. My first lower still bears the scars......

10. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

PICS please , We want to see your mistake as a reminder :D

11. SmokyMtnHiker

SmokyMtnHiker New Member

Lol It seemed like some of that stuff was not needed. As I said in the OP I know certain tools were needed. I've watch two, what I think are well made, videos that recommend the brownell's roll pin punch/holder set.
    Seems like some small nails and a standard punch set would do the same if you are careful.

12. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I've posted them already....they are on my AR Pistol, made from a 80% lower. You won't be able to see them tho....

SHARPIES FTW. :cool:

13. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Are you planning on building your upper? Because all the expensive/specific tools for mounting the barrel....well except for the castle nut wrench.

14. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Heard that!!! I have a nice scope that has some ring marks on it , it favors the sharpie also

15. SmokyMtnHiker

SmokyMtnHiker New Member

No, I plan on buying my upper. Checking the headspace looks difficult. Putting it in that special clamp, taking out the tiny parts (not loosing said parts) to check the headspace then putting it all back together. That seems the most technical and most dangerous if it isnt done properly.

16. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

preicision build?

if not, just get a go/no go guage. Cheap fast and easy.

17. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

If you are buying your upper.....then you don't need the upper receiver block, barrel wrench, gas tube wrench, or the torque wrench.

Most AR15 barrels come with the extension and are already headspaced, why do you think you need a headspace gauge?

18. SmokyMtnHiker

SmokyMtnHiker New Member

Not a precision build. I'm not going hunting with it or defending my home from hoards of zombies (for some thats a real concern lol).

Just want to build one for the challange and fun. Just going to go to the range with it and have fun with buddies. I want to do this build as cheap as possible; as long as it fires with relative accuracy i'll be happy AR owner :)

19. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I don't have a headspace gauge. I guess I should get one, but I don't really have any really high count rifles. I honestly think you should use that money for more ammo.

20. SmokyMtnHiker

SmokyMtnHiker New Member

I know there are a sh¡t ton of threads about AR building. It seems like you have some experience in an AR build. But, if you were to build one on the cheap, as I am wanting to do, would you build everything from 'stripped' parts?