AR 15 Scope

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by RobotPuncher, May 18, 2013.

1. RobotPuncher

RobotPuncher New Member

Hey guys I have a AR 15, flat top, with a 16.5 inch barrel. Im wanting to get a scope for it but I know nothing about them. Im willing to spend 250 for a quality scope. The range I want to be shooting is 300 yards(if the gun can even do 300 yards with that short of a barrel, personally I haven't tried it). If anyone could help me in finding a scope it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys/gals

2. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Leupold has an Mark AR scope 3-9x40 for around 300. Just 50 dollars more. Opticsplanet. You will have to buy picatinny rings (I am assuming the flat top has picatinny rails) for your scope. There are cheaper ones, and then there are quick detachable ones that will cost a bit more. Opticsplanet also sells various rings. Good luck. I am in the market for a scope myself, but looking for a company to send overseas. Scopes over here are very expensive. My Eotech holographic is fine for up to 100 meters, but after that, my eyes have problems picking up target acquisition via the sights. :eek:

3. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Nikon P223 3-9x40. Should retail for about $200 or so. One of the best out there for the money. That leaves you $50 for the P-series rings too. Fantastic set up, all you will need after that is the SpotOn app for your phone.

4. RobotPuncher

RobotPuncher New Member

Oh I forgot to mention it has a fixed A-2 front sight!

5. RobotPuncher

RobotPuncher New Member

That's exactly what I have on mine right now an Eotech perfect for 100 meters. I have been seeing some of those carbine Scopes, 3x power made for Ar 15s, but do you think 3x power will be enough to see out to 300?

6. RobotPuncher

RobotPuncher New Member

Yeah! Thats the one ive been looking at on Amazon for 150! Will it work with my A-2 fixed front sight?

7. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I would go with 9x at 300 yards if you want surgical placement. Anything past 300 yards I would want a 4-12x scope. Still, I want to see exactly where the projectile is going and to verify after the shot. I feel you will be happier with the stronger magnification. The lower magnifying AR scopes, eotechs and aimpoints are good for quick target acquisition, and center mass shots during CQC. I would go for a scope with max of 9x or 12x for hunting, competing or medium to longer range protection. This is my personal preference though. My own opinion.

8. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Get extra high rings.

9. RobotPuncher

RobotPuncher New Member

Thanks for the input man, you saved me a lot of money!

10. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Works perfectly!

image-655330105.jpg
    I highly suggest the P-series rings tho...like the one I have.

11. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I have a Nikon 3-9 on a 16" carbine. I tried it out at 300yds and consider that about my max range for coyotes with the accuracy I can get out of that particular rifle, ammo combo and my abilities. I have another match rifle that would stretch that distance, but it just isn't as handy as the carbine.

The Nikon is bright and clear for the price. Good predictable adjustments. Bushnell Elite series scopes are pretty good in that price range also.

12. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i have a 16 in AR with front sight. we have a nikon 3x9x40($150), with a burris mount ($70). and it shoots great. we have not shot it out to 300 yet though. but at 100 it does wonderful. dont worry at all about the front sight. with any scope above 3x you wont be able to see it.. its magic..

no. you do not need high rings if you have a front sight.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/video/ar-at-50-yards-22.html

13. RobotPuncher

RobotPuncher New Member

Oh cool! Whats the farthest you've shot effectively with its 3x power?

14. RobotPuncher

RobotPuncher New Member

How difficult is it to hit things at 100yards or so with the 3-9? I guess what im wanting to know if its do able to hit closer targets?

15. RobotPuncher

RobotPuncher New Member

I think if I get the P series scope rings it should clear that front sight, thank you for the advice! I couldn't find those extra high rings that other fella was talking about.

16. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

+1 to Jjfuller on post number 12. The scope will see through the front post, and don't need to get high mounts to see over the top. The scope cant magnify on something that close, so it looks right through it.

A 3x9x40 is a great choice for seeing targets way out there. What I don't like about a 4x plus scope is they get to be useless for close range shots, as they need more distance to focus on. if you are in heavy woods or dense brush, a 3x9 is better, and something like a 1.75x whatever is even better. For open range shots, a 4x is great. But a 3x can do pretty much what a 4x can do, except for super far distances and you want to read the made in china stamp!

Here is my 3x9x40 on my AR:
    [​IMG]

17. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Only shot at 200yds (farthest) so far. Tula steel and Monarch brass gave me 1.5 MOA. Would of done way better with my reloads.

18. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

No problem. Just a couple inches high. Still good enough for coyotes.

19. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

I need to elaberate a little. The scope on my AR is the 3x32 Nikon, For the shooting you described i suggest the 3-9x40. I picked the 3x32 because it suited my needs.

20. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

This is my ar as it sits now.. Daniel defense upper rock river arms lower.. I have a Nikon m-223 3-9x40 scope on it with a BDC reticle.. Thing is crystal clear.. Also I had a fixed front sight too when I still have my rock river upper.. Even though it looks like it would block it, it doesn't your see right past the sight..

Also I have the Burris PERP sight mount that is sweet.. Looks tactical and is the same cost for nice set of rings..

Attached Files: