AR-15 questions?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by scott92, May 3, 2011.

1. scott92

scott92 New Member

I am in the market for a new rifle and have decided to look at the bushmaster series... i would mainly use the rifle for deer but will hunt other big game in near future... main question was that i see that cabelas offer a .450 caliber but have not heard anything on hear bout them to wether there a trustworthy caliber, or else the .308? thanks

2. yellowhand

yellowhand New Member

.308 has been around a long time.
    Can be loaded light or heavy depending on what you're looking to hunt.
    Elephant to rabbits can be taken with .308 depending on the loads used
    .308 Ammo is everywhere and cheap.
    Non standard ammo, is as a rule, expensive and hard to locate.

3. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

If you want an AR platform in .308, I believe you will have to go with DPMS, or Armalite.

Someone please correct me if this is information is in error!

That didn't take long!! It's wrong!

Bushmaster builds an MOE .308 which is a mid length carbine

They also build a Hunter and Vista Hunter with a 20" fluted barrel

Bushy also builds the ORC, a 16" barrel carbine designed for the buyer who is going to add optics

Larue has a .308 AR platform rifle they call the OBR

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  4. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  5. JonM

JonM Moderator

you cant use a 450 458 556 6.8 upper on a 308. so if thats your plan it wont work. but colt also makes a 308. dunno anything about the colts.

maagazines can be a big issue with 308 ARs as in finding cheap spares.

6. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Also keep in mind that there are 2 distinct classes of AR10 - DPMS and Armalite. The parts are not interchangeable, it's one of the other.

Now the real question you should be asking yourself is ... why settle on just one AR when you can have 2? :confused: Get a AR15 and a AR10 - endless possibilities! ;)

7. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

What he said. There are a boatload of calibers and configurations that you can do with this platform.

8. scott92

scott92 New Member

Well im not looking to really mod out the gun, i'm mainly just looking for a good hunting/target rifle, all im probably going to do is put on a scope, otherwise probably nothing more than that.

9. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Well you will have to decide on what type of shooting you will be doing. The .308 really doesn't compare with the .450/.458 calibers and shooting would be drastically different between the two. Granted, either caliber will perform well in hunting applications and take down any game in NA. But don't expect more than 200yds out max of the .450 or .458SOCOM.

10. TrapperJohn

TrapperJohn New Member

When I do a build I think of long term use. The AR is great for this. The AR-15 has a vast selection of calibers that can be used like 5.56, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, .22, 458 SOCOM, .50 Beowulf, .45acp, 9mm and many more.

The AR-10 types so far. .308, 7mm-08, .243 and Fulton Armory even has a 6.5mm Dreadnaught out now.

The cool thing about the AR platform is it's ability to change calibers and you can do most maintenance at home including changing calibers.

My suggestion is figure out what caliber you want to start with and get the platform that fits that caliber. After that you can modify the AR to a different caliber to fit your needs. Do some reading on what calibers are good for you and where you want to go in the future.

Keep in mind any AR is restricted by the size of the magazine well. You cannot use anything bigger except in the case of the .50 BMG upper that connects to the AR-15 lower and that is just a one shot rifle once the upper is connected.

To me the AR is the ultimate survival rifle. You can go rabbit hunting and zombie hunting in the same day but just making some minor changes while relaxing in the man cave.

Keep in mind most AR-15 are built to milspec tolerances so you can interchange parts. This does not include some like Bushmaster. But the AR-10 is a different animal. As others have said DPMS & Armilite are the two main patterns used. DPMS being the most common.

11. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Scott,

I like the 458 SOCOM over the 450. But as far as the 308s I prefer the Rock River although I like the DPMS also. The reason is that the Rock River 308 is a 1 MOA Rifle at 100 even with the 16" Barrel like I have. But the good thing is it also does not have dedicated magazines that you must buy from the manufacturer exclusively. It takes either FAL Inch or Metric Magazines. You can find both Mil-Spec Mags at the Gun Shows on occasion and they are not an arm and a leg. It also has the 2 Stage National Match Trigger, Ambi Bolt Catch, Ambi Mag Release.
    The 450 SOCOM is a great round if you are hunting deer at 100-150. 200 is about the max. But it will wreck a wild boars day pronto!
    Good luck on your project and selection.

12. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

First One?

If this is your first AR and are looking to hunt with it, you might consider some of the newer 6mm cartridges. There is a list of them and although they might be more expensive than the .308, they are somewhat less expensive than the .45 cal options and arguably more accurate at longer ranges than the .308. In addition, you can use the lower for other purposes and have multiple rifles out of one lower

With the AR-15 lower, you can buy or build an upper in .223 (5.56 x 45 nato) with endless configurations, to train and practice with, or even hunt a variety of game.

Good Luck! :)

13. easterner123

easterner123 New Member

The .308 is also called the NATO 7.62x51mm. You can definitely get your hands on some surplus, or cheap target ammo without breaking the bank. The rifle is another story.

DPMS and Armalite both make .308 AR style platforms. Give Remington's website a once over, they have a line of AR style varmint rifles now, might be able to snag a .308 there.

However, you said your looking for a cheap hunting/target gun. If you want cheap and .308, try looking for a lightly used gun.

Good luck with your search, and make sure you do your homework. As the guys on here said, theres an AR for literally everything, from .410 shotguns to .50 Beowulf. I just haven't found an elephant gun yet, but I'm sure theres one lurking out there somewhere ;)

14. FiveF

FiveF New Member

I'll tell you one thing wherever you order your parts or rifle from do NOT use Del-Ton. They are liars, I ordered from them they told me it would be 4 week wait and its been 9 weeks going on 10. I HATE DEL TON!!!

15. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Les Baer also has a .308 that guarantees a 1/2 MOA 10 shot group @ 100 yds w/ match ammo. They do charge for this though. . .

Del-Ton has done me right! I just shot their new 20" barrel assembly on "Scrapy", my budget AR and was VERY impressed. :)