AR-15 price's

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by VASH1456, Sep 5, 2012.

1. VASH1456

VASH1456 New Member

I've been thinking about building a CA legal AR for a while now and I'm curious to what would be cheaper. Buy everything separate, or the rifle all together already? If anyone has built one lately please let me know about how much I'm looking at price wise. Thanks

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

It depends how much you shop around. If California is as bad as Massachusetts then buying used is probably your best bet. If you have a grand to spend I'd check out global arms. You can get yourself a brand new 100% mil-spec rifle.

3. Rhino24

Rhino24 New Member

If you go already put together a S&W m&p15 sport is cheapest $650 to $750 you could find them. Her is a good review by Nutnfancy
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YdpE6Lpw9E&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

4. Rhino24

Rhino24 New Member

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  5. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Attached Files:

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

In a ban state if you don't know all the ins and outs of your laws, and I mean ALL, then it's not wise to do your own build or buy used.

Since you're going cheap it's hard to beat a compliant M&P-15 Sport at your LGS since they better know the laws. If you buy new online (and PSA is a great way to go) the liability falls on you to buy a compliant AR.

7. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Hi where in kommieforia are you? In the PRK (People's Republic of Kommiefornia) there are many choices but a sh*ton of restrictions and rules you must abide by.

There is also a list of banned by named rifles/long guns you need to watch out for.

8. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

A good company you could get in contact with is Addax. They are a California company and know the ins and outs of what is required for compliance. They also have some very high quality parts.

9. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

ADDAX is great people. I spent a good 2 hours there looking at the new piston setups. Spoke to the owner at length, his name escapes me) he was knowledgeable, and courteous, and genuinely excited about his wares. It was a pleasure talking to him, but I decided to stay with DI. I would have gladly given him my hard earned cash.

Where in CA are you?

10. VASH1456

VASH1456 New Member

Thanks for all your responses. I'll take all this info into consideration on what route to take, Thanks again.

11. DavidN

DavidN New Member

I went with the S&W M&P sport and love this AR. Sure it don't have a dust cover or forward assist but for $685 you can't beat it. I did add several MagPul goodies on it which ran the price up a bit. But I would of done the same with a $1000 AR. So it was no biggie, just check it out and throughout the net or sales. I see several AR's that look sweet and functional. IMO if you own a AR no matter what brand your an A OK GUY in my book lol.

Attached Files:

12. ryguy00

ryguy00 New Member

Actually you CAN beat it. As in a dpms oracle for under $600. Ohh and it does have a dust cover and a forward assist. Ive shot dpms, bushmaster, s&w, colt, and i own an armalite ar. Ive fired and seen fired multiple thousands of rounds through each. I have yet to see a malfunction in any of them

13. DavidN

DavidN New Member

I agree in most that the price can be beat but IMO I like the S&W. This post isn't one to bash other AR's it's a post to show someone options in the market.

14. ryguy00

ryguy00 New Member

Agreed. The smith is a great weapon. Im just pointing out that in my experience, when used for range duty and home defense, one is no better than another. They all work great. Money saved on gun=money to be spent on ammo. My armalite cost $1200. Does it work any better than a $595 dpms? No, it does not. if you are going to iraq, you want a better one, but you probably wont be buying or supplying your own either.

15. X-mark

X-mark New Member

To save some money, you can buy the upper from an out of state dealer and have it shipped to your house. You will avoid sales tax for the upper. For the lower, you can buy local or from a dealer out of state, your local FFL will still be required to collect sales tax on the lower, even if it was an out of state purchase that was DROSed through them...same goes for a complete rifle. In your circumstance, unless the same rifle is considerably cheaper than the sum of it's upper and lower, buy them separate.

16. Quentin

Quentin New Member

If we're talking low price I'd take the Sport or better yet a PSA any day over the Oracle.

17. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

I recently ordered all the parts for my first personal build and picked up a lower at my lgs. It's full mil-spec with chrome lined heavy barrel. I have a grand total of 700 even in it

18. ryguy00

ryguy00 New Member

To each their own. Like i said before. Ive shot a few thousand through the m&p and the oracle in addition to a few other brands. Each will perform right alongside my armalite that cost twice as much. I do not feel either (sport or oracle) is any better than the other. They are both outstanding. And neither gives up a lick of performance to the armalite. If i had it to do over again, i would save the money and go with the oracle because it is the absolute lowest price i can find. I cant even build one myself for that price.