Ar-15 power

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by tderrick, Jan 4, 2012.

1. tderrick

tderrick New Member

Is the Remington 6.8 spc a good round to take down feral hogs, in Texas?

2. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

SSA has a 100gr acubond bullet loaded to 2700 fps from 16" barrel they say. reguardless it should work very well for hogs.

3. vmkeith

vmkeith New Member

The 6.8mm SPC seems to be one of the premiere hog slaying rounds out there. For more info you can google 68Forums and read up about it...it's the best source for the 6.8mm SPC that I've found. So yes, it's a VERY good hunting round for feral hogs.

4. MichaelBarton

MichaelBarton New Member

i prefer 20mm Vulcan lol

5. 1stMarine

1stMarine New Member

Thing with the spc is that you need to worry about shot placement. If you can get something in .458 socom, or .50 beowulf you can hit em just about anywhere and still knock em flat on their asses. They can be mucho expensive to convert though so you'd prob be better off getting something chambered for it (at least for the .458), with the beowulf however all you need is an upper. You can get em anywhere from $750 to $3000 depending on what you get.

Never Forget.

6. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

1st marine Hit them anywhere!!! Really? Why waste money and meat with a porely placed shot. There is a difference between shooting and human killing. 300 yard and longer shots would be ,well interesting too with the big bores. Use the right bullet and the 6.8 is way more than needed.

7. theboarbuster

theboarbuster New Member

I own both the 458 socom and the 6.8 spcII. I have killed over 200 hogs with the socom and it is the perfect short range pig blaster made, but the 6.8 is a close second and its better at longer ranges. I built my 6.8 about 4or 5 months ago so it hasnt killed as many hogs as my socom but I am working on that. The first day after I completed the 6.8 I took a 260lb and 240 lb boar with it and a few 60 to 80 lb pigs. Both of the boars were one shot DRT. I am using the SSA 85 gr tsx bullet and I recovered one bullet from the 260lb boar that traveld 17" through neck, bones and sheild and ended up on the off side behind the off shoulder. The bullet on the 240 lb. Passed right on through the neck. The 240lb hog was over 100 yards away. I also took a doe with it at 187 yards. It was a neck shot and she was DRT. I realy like my 6.8

8. 1stMarine

1stMarine New Member

If you've ever hunted pigs, you know they charge. I don't know about you but when I shoot ont I want it to stop. Plus I highly doubt that you'll even see the suckers out past mabye 30 yards. The brush is often taller than they are. Let's just say its nothing like deer hunting, its actually more combat like than hunting in my opinion. Close quarter and they're trying to kill you, I just don't want to be gored while I'm messing around with shot placement for a spc.

Never Forget.

9. theboarbuster

theboarbuster New Member

You can get a RRA 458 socom upper for under 700.00 but the ammo will cost you lots.
    You can get loaded ammo from SBR and Corbon. I shoot the 405 gr jsp and the 300 gr ttsx, both will make big holes in hogs. Here is a pic of a 300 gr ttsx socom bullet and an 85 gr tsx from my 6.8. Both bullets were recoverd from boars weighing over 250 lbs.
    Both were one shot DRT kills.
    [​IMG]

10. vmkeith

vmkeith New Member

Are you hunting for food or hunting to rid a nuisance animal? I ask because if you're hunting for food then you damn well better worry about shot placement so not to ruin any or all the meat. If you're hunting hogs only because they are a nuisance, then yes, get the biggest round you can and blast away.

It all depends on where you're hunting for hogs. Different terrain will determine not only how you hunt, but how long your shots are. You may not have seen any hogs out past 30 yards, but I know plenty of hunters that have taken them out to 100 yards.

11. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

1st marine ,what a stupid question and foolish remarks. Unlike you I do have only 43 years of hunting. If you were a seasoned hunter you never would have asked if the 6.8spc would do for hogs.

I suppose 20 years worth of hog hunting from 300 yards with a plane ole 150gr sp 308 on a prairies or fields moveing from wood lot to wood lot to way to many up close kills with a 180gr HC bullet in a 357mag revolver close enough to hit them as they run by. I have around 200 hogs that were killed. Shoot them in the head with that 180gr 357 and the bullet might come out his rearend. Pigs ain't that hard to kill useing the right bullet and placement. Also hunting with a buddy and a couple dogs and just gabb'n the boars to cut them and let go back to the wild, when there was less of them around. They tasted better that way. Mostly up close with the 357 revolver though.

Your the one asking if a 6.8spc would work well. Yes it will work well. You should know that if you understoud ballistics and bullet constrution and ever did any real amount of hunting. Texas hog hunting as only 30 yards!!! Heck you don't even need a rifle. Handgun or slug gun might be more than you need. Why even question about a 6.8spc then to begine with???. My one problem with the big bore ar's is range. If you do see a hog ,or deer at 300 yards and you don't know that yardage or have time to range it and don't have lots of pratice at longer ranges and mess your yardage just by 20 yards, you just missed that animal. Or made a really bad shot and it runs off. I have spent time with 45-70 shooting hot loads, 375gr at 2200fps and do darn well know the limits of whats practical when make'n a quick shot at game. That my problem with those cartidges. They have there place but they do have serious limits to there range and makeing longer shoots at unknown yardage. And you still have to make a quality shot. Not just bang away at them. That would make you just a lousy shooter not a hunter.

12. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Subscribing...I wanna stick around for this one...

13. 1stMarine

1stMarine New Member

Hardluk... yeah... I didn't ask the question, I answered it using my prior experience. In my experience of eradication hunting, I can probably get 2 or 3 hogs at once when I'm using the .458. I have no doubt the .308 and spc will do the job but this way I don't have to worry about shot placement. Plus I hunt em at night so longer ranges don't even come into play. Mabye 50m at most. Also a hp .458 expanded is around 3x the size of a hp .308, even not expanded its nearly as big as an expanded .308.

Never Forget.

14. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Well, HELL!!

That wasn't worth sticking around for at all!! :)

Given the post to which you just replied, that's probably the classiest and most measured response I've seen.

Hats off, bro.

15. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Heck a hot 44mag Hc will go threw several pigs if thats the intent and if spending 700 to 3000 dollars on upgradeing an AR floats your boat, have fun. Most of us that hunt eat what we shoot or get it to the programs that get the food to those that need it not just wholesale eradiction at what ever cost. Guess that does make a difference. Gut shootin pigs is not very ethical but shooting them 3 at a time and gut shooting does seem to go together so enjoy. Guess your 458 is a good 50 yard nightime banger after all.

16. 1stMarine

1stMarine New Member

I really don't want to argue ok? I'm just sharing a point

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  17. 1stMarine

1stMarine New Member

Down south hunting hogs is past a sport. They're an invasive creature and there is millions in damage caused by them every year, people injured and killed. Plus what I was trying to say is that the .458 won't through and through a hog. It imparts all 2900 joules of energy in the hog (250g hp) and put it flat on its *** humanely (even in the gut as the hydrostatic shock travels through the body and turns the brain to mush) as opposed to the .308 that will head on straight through it, not causing nearly the same shock because the energy isn't all imparted on the hog, and the rest could hit an unintended target behind it, even a hunting point will still exit if you hit the broadside behind the shield. Finally I don't intend to eat the meat otherwise I would have a house full of hog carcasses. I generally give them to homeless shelters who don't care if there's a hole in it as long as they can use most of it.

Never Forget.

18. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

OH, down south hunting!! Like My home state florida has no hogs. Thats were i grew up hunting. Like i said ,if your happy with your rifle ,good for you. Nothing new about your socom power level just spray'n more rounds than old BP based big bore cartidges like a 45/70. I never did like to let meat that get contaminated from a gut shot but glad you have place's that don't care. Most hunters need a round that humanly can take wild game and most any modern cartidge with the right bullet will do that. Not sure why you keep bring up the 308 but you must have had issues with it and your spray and pray style of hunting and that I can understand. Your happy with your rifle ,,great. Does the same thing a kid with a 20ga slug could do. Good that you have all the toys for night hunting . But go back to the opening tread. Will the 6.8 work for hogs well. YES. and works well also if daylight hunting for hogs or deer at longer range too. Your 458 or 500 or 45/70 slugs do have practical limits built into them. Short range quality shots. Just another choice of many. But the 6.8spc does make a very good hog or deer killer too in the hands of a decent hunter. Just not the best for wholsale eradicating at night.

19. 1stMarine

1stMarine New Member

Where did you ever get the idea that I was a gut shooter? You greatly offend me when you say that. When I mentioned it I said that it was one of the few rounds that will humanely kill a hog if it hits it in the gut. I never said that that was my practice. I keep mentioning the .308 because it is a benchmark round that anyone who shoots, knows. For the type of hunting I do, the .458 is absolutely perfect, as is the .50 beowulf.

Never Forget.

20. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

If your shooting them 2 and three deep as you side you will get some really pore shot placement, gut shots. Not all will be shoulder or head shots. Still up to the skill of the guy behind the gun plays in for the 308 along with bullet design. If i was doing what you are it would be a semi-auto 20ga slug gun. Most of buy a multi purpose rifle for day time hunting mainly that has the power for a well place shot with absolutley no problem in killing piggies at 300 yards or more. I would bet thats why this tread started. But who knows. If you do this as your hobby or job go for it. Just be truthfull about the limits of the caliber as a daytime round used by a hunter too.