AR-15 NOOB here

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by ar15noob, Feb 24, 2012.

1. ar15noob

ar15noob New Member

AS you can tell I am an AR NOOB and wanted to know what is better "clean" ammo the 223 rem or 5.56 NATO? Also what are the differences I should look out for? My local dealer is horrible to talk to and folks at the range don't want to offer advice! Thanks and apologies for the naive questions. Your help is much appreciated.

2. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

The primary difference between .223 Remington and 5.56 x 45 mm is that .223 is loaded to lower pressures and velocities compared to 5.56 mm. .223 Remington ammunition can be safely fired in a 5.56 mm chambered gun, but the reverse can be an unsafe combination. The additional pressure created by 5.56 mm ammo will frequently cause over-pressure problems such as difficult extraction, flowing brass, or popped primers, but in extreme cases, could damage or destroy the rifle. Chambers cut to .223 Remington specifications have a shorter (throat) area as well as slightly shorter headspace dimensions compared to 5.56 mm "military" chamber specs, which contributes to the pressure issues. If you are looking for an AR there are a huge number of options. What is your price range?

3. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I wouldn't worry about clean ammo, go for price and see how it works in your rifle. Steel case, cheap PMC .223, etc. If your bore is 5.56 of course try that too. Small amounts of various ammo at first, you want to find out what works best and settle in on what you like.

4. ar15noob

ar15noob New Member

Price range topped at 1000 but that would like getting some optic (nothing fancy) and grip and some mags for that price. I hear Walmart has good deal on bushman m4a3 models.

5. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

6. ar15noob

ar15noob New Member

Wow...will give it a look see. I guess I am a noob when it comes to this. Wish my locals were nicer. I came to the right place. Any help or things I should consider are greatly appreciated.

7. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I am a NOOB so to speak as well. I just learned a lot on this forum.

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well shop around for a good FFL. The PSA should be much better than the over priced BM at the LGS. You might want to think about options/upgrades before ordering anything. Research now is much better than after the gun is in hand.

9. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Yeah what quentin said you have more of a budget then I did which is why I went with the PSA. My transfer fee was only 10 bucks.

10. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Transfer Fees seem to drop in any where between $10-$50 depending on the dealer . PSA is good equipment, I own 2 and both run flawless. use that extra $$$ to buy nice optics

11. ar15noob

ar15noob New Member

Thanks. So it looks like I need 556 NATO barrel since if it is 223 then I should NOT fire the 556. Is that price range of around 700 or so about what to expect? If so I could probably save a lot or go get some nice extras to keep me at or below the 1K number any suggestions on optics.....mind you it's for home defense and target range shooting under 200 yards. Thanks you guys been awesome!

12. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

A Primary Arms Micro w/ ADM mount would work well w/ your PSA. and keep you under $900 so you can get some magazines.

13. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

My PSA with the red dot was 797 something delivered. Added a magpul MOE hand guard, forward grip with bipod and ammo put me right at 900 after all said and done. Btw joeboboutfitters.com had it in stock and delivered in three days when I ordered on Sunday. Definitely recommend them and they have great customer service got a free sticker to boot :D

14. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I miss the days when PSA offered their 16" Chf carbine and aimpoint pro combo for $999.

15. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Just a sticker? If you go to the gear page with an order you get a free t-shirt with orders $50 and up...above $250 you get a free hoodie.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/category_s/70.htm

Also don't forget about the FTF 5% discount code FT5 or FTF5 I believe...it's on JoeBobs vendor page.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012