AR-15 Mags

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by ARnoob, Apr 11, 2008.

1. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

What are some of the best AR-15 mags? I need some that are NOT too expensive (no more than $15/ea.). Thanks!
    :)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Try These. They are good quality, parkerized steel and the green "never jam" follower. I have about 20 of them ( both 20 and 30 rounders ) and have no complaints.

D

3. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

Thanks. Any idea as to who makes them?

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

You know, I never asked. :rolleyes: They have no identifying marks on them. I just assumed they were Sportsmans Warehouse brand, but I never really questioned it once I saw how well they performed. I would be happy to post a few images if you doubt I bought them, but they work great and I have never had a problem with them. They really are a quality product and they feed both my AR's perfectly.

Let me know if you want to see them...

D

5. shoez

shoez New Member

check out Midway, I just got some AR Stoner brand 30 rounders for $9.99 on sale. They functioned perfect from my Armalite M15A4. Aluminum bodied, with a non-tip follower.

6. scoutman

scoutman New Member

PMags from Magpul Industries. These are the best mags out there at any price. Luckily they can be had for around 15 bucks each.

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=UCFXcOOb4jc[/ame]

7. bkt

bkt New Member

I bought a bunch of mags and swapped out the tilt-o-matic followers with Magpul followers. That ended up being pretty inexpensive...maybe $12 each.

I also have a few British SA 80 mags and they're very nice, but cost around $30 apiece.

8. RMTactical

RMTactical New Member

9. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

Thanks guys, for all your input. Right now I'm using some Cproducts mags, and one of them had a pretty crappy follower that resulted in some serious feeding issues. The rest work fine though. I also have a Bushmaster mag, but haven't tried it yet. I just ordered several of those Pmags. I'll let you(s) know how it goes. :)

10. balloo93

balloo93 New Member

I have a mix of Cproducts, Okay Ind, Sanchez, and no name one.

Avoid the Sanchez. All the others work fine. I have replaced all the mags I have with Magpul followers, new springs, and 90% with Ranger plates.

I even have 5 40rds that I rebuilt as well. STAY AWAY from the 40s. 4 of them work flawlessly so far, but only 3 of them will slide into teh lower easy and only 1 of those 3 release easy.

11. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

http://44mag.com

best place I've found lately, and always has them in.

Midway is also running an excellent special (or they were) on some that have the Magpul followers for $9.99 ea. That is a deal

12. DSAPT9

DSAPT9 New Member

I agree with a few others I like the Bravo Company mags. I have 50 of them and have run them all multiple time with no flaws. The people they get them from are the same folks that Bushmaster uses. Same markings and supplier code. Just with Bravo Company floor plates.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/

13. Chance_P

Chance_P New Member

Hey Dillinger, thanks for the link and info. Since you've had such good luck I'll pick up 3 and give em a try. Thanks again.

14. G21.45

G21.45 New Member

15. coltm4

coltm4 New Member

yea, the magazine is the weakest part of the AR platform. they were originally intended to be disposable. HK makes a very high quality all steel magazine but they are expensive. magpul seems to have a good product. whatever you choose test fire all your new mags. also, number them so it's easier to track the ones that tend to malfunction. the ones that perform satisfactorily get tossed in your "go to war" pile. the ones that malfunction get tossed or used to practice malfunction drills. spray paint these training mags a bright color or mark them appropriately so as not to mix them up with your good stuff.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  16. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Glad to help. Let us know how they fair for you, but I haven't had any problems and even put a few rounds through them this past weekend, though the shooter was a little rusty. :rolleyes:

JD

17. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Are you guys talking strictly about aluminum or steel AR mags? I would like to know if the polymer mags are any good.

18. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I have never personally fielded any. No one coming in the shop, from any of the Tac Teams or with police units, along with any of the military guys, are currently fielding polymer mags. Or at least they aren't in the hard and soft cases when they come in for repair or servicing.

That said, plastic will probably end up inheriting the Earth after we are all long gone, so maybe they are making some great mags and I just haven't been exposed to them yet.

I know that Magpul is turning out some polymer mags that have a clear, see through polymer window in the side so you can instantly know how you are doing on ammo. I was kind of wondering if they were any good, but at $15 a piece, that's a little spendy at the moment...

JD

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  19. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

44mag.com will also send "repair kits" to those of us in Cali. It allows us to "repair" our "old worn out" high cap mags that we're allowed to repair under California state law. The repair kit comes with one body, one follower, one spring and one floor plate.

20. coltm4

coltm4 New Member

that's hilarious. will they send these "kits" to us patriots in the People's Republic of New York?:D