AR 15 lower choices

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by CentralFlCracker, Jan 17, 2012.

1. CentralFlCracker

CentralFlCracker New Member

I am new to AR 15 but have 10 or 12 WW11 rifles so I have been more of an old gun collector. Me and my twin boys are nearly finished building a Romanian AK 47 which proved a little harder than I thought it would. Anyhow I wanted to do a 1911 colt pistol build but boys want to build an AR 15. I have bought an upper Del-Ton and should be receiving it any day. After doing some research on AR's which I know nothing about I found Spikes Tactical is 8 miles from my house in Apopka. I need to buy a stripped lower and like the look of Spike. Since I would save freight and FFL are there stripped lowers considered pretty good? Now that I have done more research I am going to unload this one pretty quick. Next time I just want to buy the barrel and really start from scratch and get a truly customized AR. Like I said with the savings on FFL and Freight would a Spike be a good choice? Also what is a Tax Stamp?

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Spikes would be an excellent choice for a lower!!!

3. Car54

Car54 New Member

Yes, Spikes is a good lower. A tax stamp refers to tax being paid for a NFA (National Firearm Act) regulated firearm or accessory. On a standard AR, you don't need to worry about that. For further info talk to the folks at Spikes when getting your lower. Good job teaching the boys about guns.

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Spikes is an excellent choice. Ironically, the lower receiver has the smallest impact on a gun's functionality as long as it is within spec and all the holes line up. Lower quality lowers will generally suffer from fit and finish issues. More important than the lower itself are the parts you put into it. A good lower parts kit is worth the extra $30-40 you invest.

A tax stamp is what you get from the BATFE to possess NFA restricted firearms, i.e. full auto, short barrel, suppressors, etc.

5. CentralFlCracker

So this won't require a tax stamp? I never paid anything on The Romanian AK.

6. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Unless you choose a barrel length under 16", you're good to go.

7. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I'd like to add tho, that while most lowers are the same, there are some out there that are different. Especially if you are left handed. Some have ambi bolt catches, bolt releases, ambi mag releases, tension screws for upper fit, flared magwells, built in trigger guards etc etc.

8. CentralFlCracker

I did not know that. Guess what Spikes is 4 weeks backorder on their stripped lowers so what does that tell you. I asked why and he said guns are selling real well because of Iran and a week President. ( I added the week Pres. ) I just heard on the news Iran sent a paper airplane to Obama and said here is your Drone. True ?? Dont know.

9. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Defense Review - AXTS A-DAC Ambidextrous Dual Action Catch AR (AR-15/AR-10) Lower Receiver Series for Improved Speed and Handling/Ergonomics: Meet the AX556 and AX762 Ambi AR Lowers

Very expensive, but very nice. The only problem with it I hear, is that once you try it out, you'll want them for every single AR that you own.

Buying direct from Spikes is difficult, as they usually have long lead times. Try Aimsurplus or your local gun store. Try you local gun store for AR stripped lowers, you'll probably have to do paperwork anyways, and help keep their doors open.

10. CentralFlCracker

I live 8 miles away from the Manufacturer now why wouldnt I buy straight from them again. No delivery charge and no ffl fee plus they love the locals coming buy.

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

That was said with the proper Borat accent, correct? :)

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I agree. I've bought a few lowers locally because I liked what I saw right there in my hand. (S&W, ArmaLite and Valkyrie) By the time you figure in transfer fees and shipping the LGS price might not be too bad plus you get to walk out with your lower right then, assuming you're in a free state. If you do have a waiting period it still will be shorter since you don't have to wait for the lower to be shipped to your FFL.

13. CentralFlCracker

We have no waiting period except on pistols plus Spike Tactical is the manufacturer.

14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well if you have no waiting period and Spikes is on backorder ... And you have an upper coming any day... I'd say get out to the LGS's and look around!

15. CentralFlCracker

I will but I have noticed a lot of Sold Out on good gun parts because of fear of the economy Iran etc.

16. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well then maybe call around first... :D

17. CentralFlCracker

Not sure why but must admit havent checked but 4 sites.

Surplus Arms & Ammo LOW15 Stripped AR Lower Receiver
    SOLD OUT

Please Notify Me when this product is available.

18. lunarmanathome

lunarmanathome New Member

Go to PSA (Palmetto State Armory) and check out their lower - at 49.99 hard to beat. These are made by SAA and others and they are a quality product. Too many I think focus on the manufacturers name when all that is rellay important is your barrl, trigger, maybe optics and your ability to shoot well. Everything else is simply window dressing. Therse are easy rifles to build, all of mine shoot sub MOA at 100 yards. I have no "top tier" equipment except for my barrel/bolt combinations and Gieselle triggers.

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

They upped their price a bit, 79.99. Unless they've lowered it again. I checked I think 2 days ago.