AR-15 Lower availability

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Yunus, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I have not really been checking lately but what kind of availability is out there. Is the drought over? Is there a surplus available? Is this a good time to buy based on prices? (I know some would say anytime is a good time to buy but I don't want to pay more than I should)

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

unless there is a radical shift in the types of jerks we elect to congress and the presidency inflation is a gaurantee. prices arent going to drop.

i havent noticed a lack of rifles, its the ammo and reloading components that were scarce.

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Prices on pars & lowers have stabilized for the time being. The big buy season has officially ended and almost all the big places have parts in stock as opposed to being on back order.

While you probably can't build one for $700 like you could 2 years ago - the prices are not way out in left field currently if you shop around.

And it's always a good time to buy a new AR. :)

4. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

JD, even while paying $125.00 for my Rock lower, I still came out under $700.00 for the 6.8 build. It's an A-4 16" with a gas block instead of a front sight. Mind you, these dollars are just for the rifle.

I put out another $130.00 for the Vortex Strike Fire Red dot and another $35.00 for as Limb Saver butt pad. I had to install the butt pad as this firearm is for my nine year old granddaughter. Watch-out whitetails, here comes Haley.

5. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

Right now you can easily build an AR for less than $700

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I stand corrected. Apparently you can still build a sub $700 AR with current pricing. Who knew? :eek:

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

While you can build an AR for under $700 I'd recommend going for better components and ending up with a rifle you can be proud of and depend on.

I'd suspect that whether you built or bought - if you do it right - a quality lower with a good LPK and true milspec 7075-T6 aluminum receiver extension/H-buffer/stock would go for about $250-300 and a complete A4 upper of quality would be $500-650. This would get you to $750-950 and still you'd need sights, magazines, a sling and ammo. If you go for rails and optics then the sky's the limit.

8. npbwbass

npbwbass New Member

still?

At least your still standing JD. :D

Beware of your parts quality in building. You still get what you pay for especially when it comes to the AR platform .

9. moshpit

moshpit New Member

For a short time at least, you can buy a complete S&W M4 style AR for $699, or even one that is "Optics Ready" for $599. Getting in under 600 bucks for the starter package and only needing some irons for it isn't too bad. I'd say that's pretty good. Significantly cheaper then I paid for mine. This is a rare case of getting more then you pay for, IMO. M&P 15 quality is not bottom of the barrel, but this is bottom of the barrel AR pricing (not mentioning that this is the bottom M&P 15 model, so all you're really getting here is the base rifle, but it's high quality components to start with and build on).

I don't recommend the $599 version for anybody thinking about serious upgrades though, the gas block on it is a PITA to deal with.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  10. billdeserthills

I no longer reccomend S&W anything to anyone, since I discovered that S&W screwed over a gun manufacturer here in AZ. They were paying him to manufactur their "new" line of M&P Ar's & S&W ordered a bunch of guns from him, only to fail to pay the bill at the last minute.

11. moshpit

moshpit New Member

Hmmm, sounds like ONE side of the story. Considering how S&W always paid up on promotional materials with the store I used to work for, I'm thinking there's more to that story then you either know, or are letting on. A lot more. Sorry, but I think that's plain silly. S&W has always ponied up when needed to on any dealing I've ever had with them, and I've had many.

In fact, their warranty department is one of the best out there. I'm thinking you don't know the whole story around that situation. I'm wondering what S&W's claim against the company was, I'm sure there was one. S&W doesn't just ignore a legitimate bill of service and never has without a counter-claim in place.

12. billdeserthills

I will agree with you on S&W warranty service. Unfortunately I have had more trouble with selling S&W newer guns & then having my customers bring them back, wanting them to work as promised. In fact if you count all the really cheap guns I sell:Cobra, Hi Point, Jimenez, Phoenix Arms, ect... You would find that the very small number of S&W I sell actually Need to be repaired way more often than all the afore mentioned "Cheap Guns" combined!
    Sorry to be so down on what appears to be your favorite gun company, I just call it as I see it.

13. moshpit

moshpit New Member

Hardly my favorite, that's reserved for companies like KAC, Noveske, etc. Just a company I've had the opposite experience from you with. In fact, I've been treated far better by S&W then Colt, Armalite, and Bushmaster combined. Have you ever tried to get tech support from any of those companies? Colt's not as bad as the other 2, but Bushmaster is downright HORRID for supporting their own products. Try to get em to answer a question with a straight answer is like pulling teeth!

14. billdeserthills

I must say Moshpit,
    I have never yet needed customer service from Armalite, Bushmaster or Colt, but I am sure it is just a matter of time.

15. moshpit

moshpit New Member

I have. Customer service tells me how willing a company is to stand behind their product.

16. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Can TOOOOOOO. I'm setting up a budget build for one being about 5-600, Including irons and magpul HGs/Foregrip but otherwise butt freaking stock.
    just gotta shop around some:)

17. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I haven't had a problem finding any parts for my build. I'm getting very close to finishing it and it's starting to get exciting.

18. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

It's always exciting:)