Ar 15 light primer strike

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by brshoot, Nov 3, 2013.

1. brshoot

brshoot New Member

I have a s&w ar15. I just installed a Midwest industry 12 inch quad rail. Torque the barrel nut @ 70lbs to properly align gas tube. I also polished my trigger & shorten 1 ear of hammer spring I've done this b4. Out of 40 rounds i had a light primer strike. Im worried about my rail install. Could i have caused this?

2. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I can't see how a rail would affect the ignition. Did you shoot the rifle b4 the upgrade? What did you want to accomplish by shortening the spring?

3. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

1) Might be nothing to worry about if it only happened once. Dud round, anomalous situation...you get the point. Shtuff happens.

2) If it's a recurring problem, the first step is to clean up your BCG. Sometimes a bit of dirt/grease/grime can impact the movement and resulting reach of the firing pin. Some brand new BCGs actually leave the factory greased to the point where this sort of failure occurs right out of the gate if they're not cleaned up before installation.

4. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

What is your ammo choice? I would not get in a twist over 1 round

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

modifying the hammer spring will cause light strikes you need a new spring.

6. mountaineergunner

mountaineergunner New Member

I have seen this mod b4. Im not a fan of shortening the spring because what your experiencing is common when this is done. Your going to need to get you a new spring. I tried playing with a trigger to make it better the polishing does make it smoother an I do it to all my guns that have stock triggers. But I highly recommend a adjustable trigger after market if you want a good light feeling trigger. Im a fan of a temney but thats just me.

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I also think you should replace the modified hammer spring with a proper one.

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

A sweet trigger does you no good when the gun does not reliably go bang