AR-15 help!

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Roper, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Roper

Roper New Member

I don't want to break anything.

I have a RRA National Match that I must put on a RRA Quad Rail. I took off the A2 hand guard to expose the free float tube. I got the locking ring loosened and turned back as far as it will go , it is against the barrel nut but can't see how to get the float tube off. I guess it could be threaded on too?

Thanks in advance.
    John

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Roper,
    The Free Float Tube under the Rock River Arms National Match Hand Guard has RED Loctite on it. In order to remove it. First Remove the Flash Hider. Then the Front Sight Assembly Pins and assembly from the barrel. Then you will need a 2 1/2 inch Strap Wrench to remove the tube. And also a torch like one of the small Ronson Butane Torches like you see at Walmart, Lowe's or Home Depot. You will need to heat the tube in the area of the lock nut that you loosened and get it pretty hot while continuing to apply pressure with the strap wrench "at the same time". If you have a problem please PM me and I can assist. Use caution not to collapse the tube while removing it!
    Here is a picture of the Torch I use!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013

3. Roper

Roper New Member

Thank you Sniper03 , I thought that but didn't know for sure. I'll try it tomorrow.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

i know it is your rifle and you can do what you want, but i honestly am wondering why you would change up the work of art that is the rra national match??

there arent any made as well as that rifle until you hit custom territory or something from white oak.

5. Roper

Roper New Member

Good morning JonM,

The reason is , I need the top rail for my new scope. This is my predator and varmint rifle. I can't get the eye relief unless I put on another rail.

It is scaring me to change it. I have the rifle shooting less than 3/4 in. groups. But I needed a mil-dot scope.

Thanks
    John

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  6. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Maybe you need a Burris PEPR scope mount

Attached Files:

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Yes a cantilever scope mount like the one above or one from American Defense, LaRue or others. may be cheaper than the quad rail and still leave your rifle in original configuration.

8. Roper

Roper New Member

I called RRA ( got through wow) and I was told they (do) put loctite on the barrel nut. So heat gun here I come.

Thanks all.

9. DRBogart

DRBogart New Member

It is quite possible mounting you scope half on the rail half off the rail will really screw with that 3/4 group you have going on. I would go with the Burris like mentioned above.

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I have both the RRA and the Burris P.E.P.R. scope mount. They work just fine!

Sounds like you're trying to go from Cleveland to Pittsburgh via Denver.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. chrishiggin29

chrishiggin29 Member

Here's my RRA varmint rifle I don't have any problem with eye relief scope is Nixon M-223 4-12x42 with a Nikon mount

image-3651163911.jpg

12. Roper

Roper New Member

Well thanks guys but I'm past the point of no return. If I screw up I'll let you know, if its a win, i sure will .

BTW Chris, that one might have worked for me. I should have came here first.

13. Roper

Roper New Member

Got it back together. Shoots just fine. I'd show you but can't figure out how to post pix. I used a RRA free float quad rail.

Thanks
    John