AR 15 help

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by dtsagnt777, Feb 13, 2011.

1. dtsagnt777

dtsagnt777 New Member

im thinking of getting an AR with a varmint 18" barrel and a flat upper reciever. i want to practice at sniping what would be a good scope to use?

2. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

What are you going to be Sniping and at what distances? The type of reticle may depend on the prey. Animal or Paper. What is your budget range?

Give us a little to help you.

3. dtsagnt777

dtsagnt777 New Member

sniping at paper around 4-5 hundred yards. my budget 1800 with gun

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  4. Leathermarshmallow

Leathermarshmallow New Member

I think that is the other term used for snipe hunting. (you know, the brown bag in the woods).:eek:

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Sniping is a verb that is done by qualified H.O.G.'s - Hunters of Gunmen. They are professionally trained snipers and they make the battlefield a living hell for the enemy.

In Vietnam they averaged a kill ratio of 1:7 - that is one kill for every 7 rounds fired by US forces in Vietnam.

Basically it is what every long range shooter wishes they could do. A cold bore, long range, on target hit.

QUOTED FOR TRUTH!!

We have no H.O.G.'s on this forum, with the possible exception of two guys I know through PM and postings. A "sniper" is a specialized skillset that is owned by probably 1/100th of the people on line who claim it.

I know as much about combat/military sniping as anyone out there through a library the size of a standard bedroom, but I am FAR from even being a P.I.G., let alone a H.O.G.

JD

6. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Gutter Snipe are my favorite.:D

7. dtsagnt777

dtsagnt777 New Member

ok i guess sniping is the wrong term. what want to do is practice long range accuracy

8. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Tango gave you some great options. Don't be afraid of a big scope, you can't hit what you can't see. I topped my recently completed AR with a 6-24x50 on top of a 20" bull barrel and I couldn't be happier. It's heavy but accurate.

9. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I certainly second what spittinfire stated and advised. We always told the students the first day of OS class. You can not shoot what you can not see! Followed by telling them most people have it all wrong! If you did it correctly. You need to get the best glass (Scope) you can afford and save the rest for the rifle. Anyway, do not forget that with a nice scope you will need like a Scout Rail that Rock River makes or some other company's Scope Ring Adapter to be able to mount the scope farther forward on the flat top for correct eye relief on the AR. Otherwise you may have a real problem since without, the top elevation turret on the scope strikes the rear of the front scope ring and will keep you from getting the proper eye relief you need and cheek weld when shooting.
    For the optimal position of the scope the Eye Piece should be exactly even with the rear edge of the Charging Handle. The 20" Varmint would be the optimum for Long Range accuracy. But if you are going to be doing some timely walking with the rifle the 18 would serve the need. Good Luck with your choice. 03

10. dtsagnt777

dtsagnt777 New Member

thank you. any opinion on the rock rivers (ath) advanced tactical hunter?

11. dtsagnt777

dtsagnt777 New Member

so would the (ath) be good for long range accuracy

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

looks like a good one. its got mostly the right parts for long rang target shooting. altho the wylde chambering is a bit odd if your shooting off the shelf ammo. wylde is a compromise tween 556 and 223 and isnt great shakes for either where extreme accuracy is concerned. however if you load your own ammo it doesnt matter as you can form your reloaded brass after firing at least once and get your headspacing tuned.

if your buying off the shelf i would opt for a .223 chambering as there is more ammo off the shelf designed for accuracy than 556 shelf ammo.

reloading your own would be the key to that particular rifle.

i like RRA's stuff and use and buy some of their rifle uppers and lowers.

13. dtsagnt777

dtsagnt777 New Member

i plan on reloading my ammo i was doing reserch on it today. thanks

14. oneeyedmac

oneeyedmac New Member

Rock River makes good stuff but please don't spend your hard earned on a very nice rifle like a RR and then go crappy on the scope. There are decent scopes out there for under $500 if you look around, i.e. the Bushmaster Elite 3200 or 4200 line are mostly under $500 and aren't bad and the Falcon line of scopes are good for the money as well. I've used the Konus M30 and the Leupold Mark AR scopes and they are mostly under $300.

I hope this helps a bit.