Firearms Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to build a 6.8 spc, and plan to use it to go hunting as well. I'm just wondering if anyone from Washington state could tell me if it is legal to hunt with an AR. I have looked at the regs, and didn't see anything prohibiting it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Caliber is the defining aspect of legality. Can't speak for People's Republic of (insert some of our more 'progressive' states). But I'm very sure its the case in California-North (Washington) :)

·
Banned
11,756 Posts
I'm looking to build a 6.8 spc, and plan to use it to go hunting as well. I'm just wondering if anyone from Washington state could tell me if it is legal to hunt with an AR. I have looked at the regs, and didn't see anything prohibiting it.
Since a 6.8 is the same diameter bullet as a .270, minimum caliber should be fufilled. Many states require semi-auto's to have a 5 round maximum magazine capacity. Whether you are shooting a Remington 742, a Winchester 100 or an AR15, they all meet the definition of semiautomatic.

But only an AR meets the definition of a Sport Utility Rifle. Those evil black guns. :D

·
Registered
7,545 Posts
Idaho law states you must use a center fire to hunt game, not rimfire. Otherwise caliber isn't specified so even .223 would be allowed. Check with the Washington State statues or Game&Fish to see if caliber is specified and other requirements. I'd suspect that 6.8 would be ok

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes the AR 15 in this caliber is legal to hunt with. I'm on Eastern side of the state and have a 6.8 for just this purpose. The two favored rounds are the Barnes 95TTSX because of it's FPE out well past 350 (although I don't think I'd take that shot) and another great round is the Hornady 120 SST. There are fans of Accubond 100 as well. Enoy - it's a good caliber round.

.223 is not allowed for deer and larger

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quentin said:
Idaho law states you must use a center fire to hunt game, not rimfire. Otherwise caliber isn't specified so even .223 would be allowed. Check with the Washington State statues or Game&Fish to see if caliber is specified and other requirements. I'd suspect that 6.8 would be ok
I know that the min. requirments are .24 cal, & 4" barrel length. My friend and I have been going back and forth over the idea because apparently the regs were more restricting in years past. Thanks for the insight. I'm not a huge fan of the liberal state either, but the location is awesome. I guess you have to give up some things.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yes the AR 15 in this caliber is legal to hunt with. I'm on Eastern side of the state and have a 6.8 for just this purpose. The two favored rounds are the Barnes 95TTSX because of it's FPE out well past 350 (although I don't think I'd take that shot) and another great round is the Hornady 120 SST. There are fans of Accubond 100 as well. Enoy - it's a good caliber round.

.223 is not allowed for deer and larger
The Sierra 110 grain ProHunter is another very effective and relatively inexpensive hunting round in 6.8 SPC.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.