Firearms Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an Sun devils© Ar-15 .223/5.56 for christmas and I want to go coyote hunting with it and want to know what bullet type and grain weight is best. I plan to sell the furs.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Honestly it depends more on the gun than the intended target for grain weight. What is the barrel length and twist rate?

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'd go with either Hornady's 53 grain V-MAX Superperformance or their 55 grain V-MAX.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Twist rate should be stamped on the barrel somewhere. 1:7 or 1:9 most likely. This will impact the ability to stabilize the flight of your projectile and choosing the correct weight of projectile will matter if you're trying to make a clean hit on something as small as a coyote. If you have a 1:9 twist, you might be OK with those light bullets, but if you have a 1:7, you will want a heavier bullet like a 68-69 gr. HP.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you are going to sell the fur you had better use FMJ or the buyers won't give you crap for the fur. Now this guy we use the 338 on!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
russ said:
Twist rate should be stamped on the barrel somewhere. 1:7 or 1:9 most likely. This will impact the ability to stabilize the flight of your projectile and choosing the correct weight of projectile will matter if you're trying to make a clean hit on something as small as a coyote. If you have a 1:9 twist, you might be OK with those light bullets, but if you have a 1:7, you will want a heavier bullet like a 68-69 gr. HP.
I have some mil-spec 5.56 fmj. I think military ammo.of this caliber is somewere in the 60 grain area. are those effective/ethical for coyotes?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use American eagle varmint works great and if u can find it it's around $8 a box of 20. so it's not a expensive ammo well it mite be now tho with every place being sold out

·
Registered
7,545 Posts
Did you buy this used? Anyway, I'd take a minute to find out what twist it is.

·
Premium Member
22,674 Posts
Plain old M193 ball (55 gr FMJ) is as good as anything out there for coyotes.

·
Registered
268 Posts
locutus said:
Plain old M193 ball (55 gr FMJ) is as good as anything out there for coyotes.
Ball ammo will do the job, just be sure to hunt responsibly. If you are hunting wide open areas they'll be fine. I hunt IL farm land and there's usually homes within a mile or two. The soft points will break up on impact whereas the ball ammo has a higher risk of ricochet. I use 55gr vmaxes in a 1:7 twist 16" barrel.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a dedicated AR varmint 20" 1-9 rifle. I use 60gr Sierra HP's and 55gr. Hornady V-max bullets. They work very well. I do load my own rounds.

·
Banned
6,489 Posts
I would not skin and case a coyote pelt for what they sell for. We can get $50 dollars bounty for the lower jaws. That is a much better deal. The 55 grs. expanding bullets work well in the AR-15. There is no hard fast rule on bullet weights and twist rates. You must shoot different loads in you rifle to find out what works.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts